Very Concerned

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angelscutoo, Aug 22, 2008.

1. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

If you google your on line name it brings up all your posts and comments on this site. I don't know about the rest of you but this concerns me greatly.I had asked why people did not do their profiles and one person replied with the above information.

I tried it and sure enough there they were. All my posts and information.

That is not the case with other sites. I feel Pro Health should protect our very personal information that is discussed here. In this day and age one needs to be very careful.

I love the people I have met thru here and need this support but I am going to have to seriously consider this... as I do not want my personal info out there.
  2. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

You enter your name or your screen name? I entered my complete first and last name and found where I live, I entered my screen name here and yes the posts from prohealth are on there. But who is going to figure out who you really are and where you live (full address) just by your screen name that is on here. I am not worried and hope this post makes sense to you. My only suggestion is to be guarded as to what you put on your profile here.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Actually, you can find information from other websites.

When I tried my PH name it did show PH but it only took me to the sign in page. Has this changed?

If you post on a website where you do not have to sign in, all your information is out there.

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  4. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

Yes the screen name. I know several people who use the same screen name here and other places on line. Someone could recognize a screen name and cause problems.

What came to mind was many talk about their marital problems. Their husbands may know what screen name they use and if they google? There are all the posts for them to read. Could be a danger in domestic violence situations.

It just concerns me and there should be a way we could be protected. I appreciate Pro Health for this site but I would also appreciate my information being protected.

5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

what you've written. If your user name is not linked to your real name anywhere else on the web than you should be fine though.

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

on the internet. If you don't want the world knowing your private business, then "don't" post it on the internet because it is out there for everyone to read. And even if you delete your messages at some point, they are still out there for someone to find.

When you consider the millions of people who post to the internet, unless someone is really intent on finding out information about you, I wouldn't worry about messages posted to forums such as this.

Take care.
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

times over the years. Use the search feature of this board and you will find the answers you are looking for.
  8. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

about identity theft--I just didn't want a list of meds open to anybody to read. I have a full time job and I would prefer to keep my prescription medication private from bosses and co-workers.

I know you can't be fired because you're sick but there are so many ways around that, it's ridiculous. They can "eliminate your position" if they want to.

Just don't want anybody "building a case" against me at work. I don't trust anyone here.

9. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

and that's changed since the last time I googled my user name.

When you click on a post after googling a user name, it sends you to the sign-in page.

10. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I feel somewhat better since reading your posts. You just never know anymore but you are right they would have to have additional information and they could join to read it all anyway.

Guess I will just continue and trust in my fellow man. I think these illnesses make you a little paranoid at times. I have in my career worked with many domestic abuse victims and that is the first thing that entered my mind.