Very dark coloured blood drawn

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

If anyone can tell me what dark coloured blood may indicate I would really appreciate the information. I had several tubes taken this morning after a fast etc .. even had my doctor check off the vitamin D testing. I was a bit alarmed to see how dark the blood was coming out (usually don't look .. too chicken) .. even the tech said it was quite dark ..
    Any info would really be great .. my doctor won't have the results for a few days but this has me wondering.
    Thanks !
    Joy : )
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

Blood which is highly oxygenated is bright red in colour. Blood with less oxgen in it is a dark red in colour which could be perceived as almost black. Arteries carry highly oxgenated blood to the body and veins carry deoxygenated blood back to the lungs.

The colour of your blood may be purely related to the location of the vein from which the sample was taken.

I have had both bright red and very dark blood samples but this does not seem to have affected the test results.

TC, Tansy
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thank you for the reply Tansy !
    I have never seen my blood that colour before .. it was a little shocking .. but you make perfect sense .. I can understand that might be the case .. funny what it takes to make us flip out a bit ? LOL
    Thanks again
    Joy : )
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Mine was dark black too and very sticky. During a stim test for HGH release I clogged up the butterfly IV and had to get stuck again! *&%$

Now that I'm on heparin it's back to being red. Flows better into the tube. It used to go so S-L-O-W.

I just posted some info about hypercoagulation & infections.
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have to do fingerpricks at least once a day for blood sugar and hemoglobin testing and the color of my blood varies from day to day. Like Tansy said I think a lot of it has to do with the site.

6. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

is what dr says I have .. I have very dark blood that takes forever to fill the tubes too.. slow lymphatic system....I am on carnivora for that
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

8. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Interesting! Here is a bit of information I borrowed from Compound Interest 'The Chemistry of the Colour of Blood' and this is what they had to say 'The iron atoms are also responsible for haemoglobin’s colour. The individual haems are conjugated molecules – they have lots of alternating double and single bonds between carbon atoms in their structure – and this conjugation causes them to absorb light wavelengths in the visible portion of the spectrum, leading to a coloured appearance. The presence of the iron atom modifies this absorption slightly, and as such haemoglobin is a red colour when oxygenated, and a slightly darker red when deoxygenated.'