Very discourged

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by azcrum, Aug 27, 2002.

1. azcrum

azcrum New Member

I filed for SSD back in June of 01. I was denied. I appealed it. I was denied. I got a lawyer and went to my hearing friday. My lawyer said the judge I had turns everyone down and I have a 5% chance she wouldn't. I am so frustrated. These people tell you you can work when you can't. I have heard that having this disease and age really plays a factor in deciding who gets it and who doesn't. I am 43. I guess the older you are, there isn't a problem??? Any comments are welcome.
  2. azcrum

azcrum New Member

I filed for SSD back in June of 01. I was denied. I appealed it. I was denied. I got a lawyer and went to my hearing friday. My lawyer said the judge I had turns everyone down and I have a 5% chance she wouldn't. I am so frustrated. These people tell you you can work when you can't. I have heard that having this disease and age really plays a factor in deciding who gets it and who doesn't. I am 43. I guess the older you are, there isn't a problem??? Any comments are welcome.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi welcome to the board. I cannot help you with your questions, I was turned down, and have not the strength nor energy to keep fighting.

But I urge you to continue to do so untill you get the help you so justly deserve.

Other members will share their experience with you, many have had good results, and have been approved. So you hang in there.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. pamb

pamb New Member

Hang in there. I don't know your location, but my lawyer told me the same thing. Everything is stacked against my because I am 38. He said I would have a better chance if I was 50. But I am trying anyway. I wish you luck. I know how frustrating the whole system is.

Pam b
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I was approved on my third try (on disability for CFIDS since I was 22) I think your chance is greater each time you appeal. It was dicouraging but once I won my case I got rid of the - how am I going to be able to survive - and more into concentrating on my health needs.
  6. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Looks like you signed onto this site exactly when I did, immediately after your hearing. Was almost the worst day of my life and almost called the doctor to add an anxiety med on top of my other medications. I am probably even worse then most, because as you state, age is damaging, I am only 28. My hearing was on August 2nd, and the judge said, I have 322 other pending cases so hopefully we'll let you know something by next feb 2003. That was nice to hear, beside the fact that he wasn't even from the state I am and did not like my lawyer at all. Thought couldn't much else could go wrong, so now I just wait by the phone and mail box, but be lucky if I hear anything at all anytime before the new year. Good luck to you!!! God Bless.
    Sarad
  7. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Sorry you're having these problems...waiting is one the hardest things to do, I always say.

You've found a site with lots of info both from the library & from the members here.

Are you suffering from fms, cfids or both? Let us know how you're doing...I've gotten some great suggestions from here that my doctor said were very helpful.

Best wishes and keep us posted. Michele

8. azcrum

azcrum New Member

Thanks for the support. What state do you live in? I would absolutely need some anxiety meds if I had to wait that long. Another thing my lawyer (who is really neat)told me was that I do have an income (my husbands) coming in so it's not like I am destitued. I am not, I repeat not giving up. When I firmly beleive I am entitled to something, I will fight to the end. And my lawyer said that too. So, you hang in there too. God Bless.

Pam
  9. azcrum

azcrum New Member

Thank you for the encouraging support. Atleast I am not alone in my qwest. I have alot of good things on my side so I am faithful I will win. Not knowing exactly when is the hard part.

Thanks again.

Pam
  10. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

I'm on my 2nd appeal. No income for one and a half years now.

Not knowing is causing my husband severe anxiety and depression.

It is unbeleivable to me the way our government treats sick/ill/injured Americans. But then they will go and give $$$ to other countries.

BTW I applied in Jan. 2001. Denied. Got an attorney. Apealed in Oct. 2001. Denied. My court date is Sept 23 2002. You got in way faster then me!

I'm in CA. Where are you?
    This is hell![This Message was Edited on 08/27/2002]
  11. azcrum

azcrum New Member

I have Fibro only. I don't know what I would do if I had both. I have a 5 and 7 yr olds and trying to keep up with them is a job in itself. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the concern. There are some really nice people who post here. I am looking forward to getting to know some of them better.

Pam
  12. azcrum

azcrum New Member

I live in Phoenix. I had to wait 2 months for a court date. Who knows how long I will wait now. I need to get denied first. That could take a month :( I have a really good lawyer who is very dedicated and caring. He is willing to fight until the end for me. That really helps especially when your fighting the government. So hang in there.

Pam
  13. G

G New Member

I live in Canada and I turned down twice before I got mine on appeal before the Hearing Board. I waited two years to get mine and I finally got it with 1 year back pay. It was hard but well worth it. The lawyer I had at the time had formerly worked for the gov't and knew his stuff, but I also had a lot of leg work to do - actually it was arm work for I had to push my wheelchair myself - looked strange doing it but I didn't care. I got hold of all my doctors documentation of my health and photocopied everything I could get my hands on, even down to my therapy, meds and appointments. I made copies for the lawyer, doctor and for the hearing. I was also asked if I could have anyone testify on my behalf in regards to how much my health had deteriorated over an span of knowing them for more than 5 years and I was told "Yes, you can" and I did so. I was given mine under the Cophenhagen Declaration, which does acknowledge that in 20 to 30% of cases, patients suffer significant debility. The also found that I was severely limited in activities of daily living as an result of my medical condition and therefore within the legislative meaning of a disabled person. I was 41 years old at the time and am now 48 this month.

So, please don't give up and ask your lawyer if he has all this ready and available. Also find out if you can appeal it again if you're turned down this time as well. Sometimes we are turned down at least twice before getting accepted. I hope I have helped you in some small way.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.
    G
  14. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Although I do have both, having either one is no picnic either.

I really don't know much about disability, so maybe someone can pick us this thread. Do you have a good dr who documented your disabilities well? Does that make a difference?

Also saw some threads on work evaluations. Maybe someone could suggest if that's a good idea or if you can volunteer for that??

Take care. Michele
  15. azcrum

azcrum New Member

Thanks for the information. My lawyer specializes in SSD and has worked with the Government. So did his assistant. In fact he used to be the one who would do the initial denials so they pretty much know all they need to. The vocational person at my hearing said because of the side effects my meds cause me (drowsiness and hard to concentrate, can only do one task at a time) there was virtually nothing out there I could do. My doctor had it right when he found out I was applying for this. He said, you pretty much need to be missing a limb in order for them to OK you. I am pretty sure I can appeal more than once. By the time this is over, they will owe me so much money that it will be worth the trouble. Thank God I do have an income. Once again, thanks for all the support. I have gotten so many nice replys from people on here. I will be visiting this site alot.

Pam
  16. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

My attourney had told me especially because of my age, I had about a 10% chance at all of winning!!! Also the fact that my doctor had sent me all over god's green earth to doctors, (but, they don't chart that THEY are the ones sending you all over the place) made it look as if I was doctor hopping!!! I was worried sick that I would NEVER win, but, my case was sent to a different state ( I live in Indiana) but, Indiana was waayyyyyy overloaded with cases, so, once my case was moved, within a few months, I won my case-----also though, they also pulled my military records and saw that in May of 1999 to the end of June, I was on crutches , and in physical therapy 5 days a week, and, I do think that did help some as well. I did work after that though, then went through physical therapy again, then August 2000, I became violently ill (age 22) and have never worked again.
    Anyways, I'm starting to ramble on here, but, the point is, miracles can happen. I was assured that I would NOT win, being against the disability board I was up against, then, due to problems WITHIN themselves, my records were moved, and within a total of 16 months, I recieved my disability, and 13 months of back pay.
    Good Luck to you,
    and don't give up,
    Medic
  17. azcrum

azcrum New Member

It's stories like yours that give me hope. Most everyone I have heard from has had the same battle but eventually won. I am in no hurry for the money (well kind of) and by the time I do win, they will owe me alot. I also just found out I get benefits for my two children plus my own. Didn't ask why. But, thanks for the support. It's greatly appreciated.

Pam
  18. CAREN

CAREN New Member

AZCRUM,

I WAS ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES. I GOT SSD ON MY FIRST TRY. I WAS OVER 50, WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE HELPED ME. IF SO, IT IS NICE TO KNOW AGE CAN DO SOMETHING GOOD FOR ME. LOL I WAS SICK WITH SEVERAL AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES WHEN I APPLIED, POLYMYALGIA RHEUMANTICA, GAINT CELL ARTERITIST, ARTHRITIS, VASCULITIS, ETC. I BELIEVE IT WAS THE ARTHEITIS THAT WON FOR ME. I DO NOT BELIEVE THEY PAID ATTENTION TO ANY OF THE OTHER CONDITIONS. I CERTAINLY WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK, THOUGH, FOR I KNOW WHAT LIVING WITH FIBRO IS LIKE. IT IS MY FIGHT NOW. PLEASE KEEP TRYING.
    CAREN
  19. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

I applied in February and have been turned down, I have just appealed and waiting. I have also tried twice to get a parking badge, I can only walk about 30 yards but I still don`t think I am going to get it. I think you have to be bedridden before they take you into account, in that case you would not need it anyway. The whole system seems so unfair, I am 57,
    hope you get it soon
    Pat.
  20. azcrum

azcrum New Member

Thanks for the support. You are lucky. And your age probably helped it along. Someone told me you need to have an axe sticking in your head before they consider you. I was also told by an aquaintence that FMS was just recently added to the list of approved conditions. I wonder how true that is cause I have seen some people on here that have been on it a long time with FMS.