Very Happy New Year to Everyone! Just wondering if anyone has my problem?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, Jan 1, 2009.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I know everyone here probably tries to budget, but with the current economy, what have you been doing to cut back even more? As for me, in the past I thought I watched things but now I am really watching everything. I have noticed you really have to watch others from automatically billing you for services or products you do not order.

I guess times are so tough for some companies their sales people try to pull some fast ones.

I started monitoring my bank statement online and in the past months have caught numerous companies charging me for items I did not order. Or processing automatic renewal of the service without asking me. One that did a false billing was popular site for coins and collectibles. When I called them naturally they said it was some sort of mistake and returned my money immediately, but had I not been watching my statement they would have gotten away with it. Their charge for close to $300.!!! and I know I did not order it. Plus it was a product you were to receive over the next 5 years.

Another trick is when you order a one time service and the company "automatically" bills you on renewal without even telling you. Then when you go to their website there is no phone contact number or a place to tell them you want to cancel their service. That was a company that does automatic back-up on computers.

Yes, another is I love that site but the $199. charge is too much money now.

I realize they all put things in the fine print when you originally order telling you they will bill you, but I do think they should advise you before doing any billing, anytime.

With the current economy things like this will become more and more common.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

A warning: if you sign up for something online that you're willing to pay for (for me it was -- you can end up automatically signed up WITH YOUR CC USED directly for other services you have NO idea you've signed up for - there was no page that I saw that said I wanted this too and I would pay $X for.

This happened with 2-3 'services' directly after signing up at, sorry I cannot remember the names of them. I had to have my daughter call to cancel these ... as I couldn't call them on an 800 number as I'm outside the US and they don't accept email! GRRRR! Just read this was one of those semi-legal scams that I think the gov't is taking steps to end.

And/or, you can make a radical move, literally... we moved to Mexico. Cost of living is much cheaper, as is health care. Bye bye health insurance here that covered almost nothing for me; and I can buy insurance coverage at the best chain of hospitals for less than 1/2 of what I paid in US and get almost all services covered. Wow. And Yes most of the docs speak English, as they're educated.

However, most I realize cannot make that radical of a move. It has been exhausting to say the least, albeit exciting and literally and figuratively adding some spice to our lives...