VERY IMPT POLL-- about adrenals and cortisol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Mar 12, 2009.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

testing and treatment for "adrenal fatigue" has helped me greatly. i want to gather info here on others experience with this.

1.did you have a saliva test for cortisol? what were results?

2. what treatment did you do for it? how long?

3. results?

ok i will start.
    1.yes, low cortisol all day, higher in evening.
    2. 2 adrenal glandular supps (miladregen and isocort) for about 2 years
    3. slow sleady improvemnt - less fatigue, better functioning, feel less horrible, correction of my circadian rhythm disorder (meaning i can now actually sleep at nite!!!! yipee!)
    4. i am ssooo glad i found out about adrenal fatigue. and got help. i still have cfs, i am still sick, but i am way less sick, and my quality of life is greatly improved.

2. panthere

panthere Member

1. Yes, low cortisol all day/night
    2. Frozen adrenal support, adrenal guard supplements, cortef - 15 mg/day - 3 months
    3. Cortef is the only thing that gave me some improvement, about 20% especially in AM. I wouldn't be able to deal with noises in the morning, now that normalized. Still can't fall asleep at night though...
    4. Will continue on present treatment for couple of more months, see what happens...
  3. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

Hi BigMama-

I am just learning more now about adrenal fatigue. My primary care doctor (MD with a holistic bend) tested me (blood) and found my AM cortisol too high and DHEA-S and pregnenolone too low. There's no evidence of my cortisol being too low, the issue seems to be that my body can't keep up with the prodiction of the other two hormones to counteract the cortisol.

However, I will be doing the 24 saliva testing for several hormones, to confirm the blood tests. The preliminary plan is to put me on a low-dose of DHEA-S and pregnenolone.

I read Wilson's book, at the doctor's suggestion.

I also take antivirals (through another doctor), so I hope these two approaches will complement each other.
  4. annwinter

annwinter New Member

1. saliva test results were very low all day and normal at 10 pm
    2. isocort for 3 months and holistic MD said i wasn't better enough so recommended cortef (cortisol). I take 10 mg every morning, for 4 years now. I'm supposed to take another 5 mg at noon but never remember it.
    3. great results on cortef. i could stand up in the park and talk to people because my legs felt stronger. i didn't "crash" at 4 pm every day and have to race home to lie down.
    4. i worry about being on cortisol long-term, but feel my body really needs it. cortef has made one of the biggest improvements in my functioning; i'm grateful for it.
  5. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

thanks for the replies- i am glad to hear these treatments are helping people.

about blood tests for cortisol--- IF getting blood drawn stresses you out- it is logical to think that it could alter your results- to cortisol being too high. my blood tests showed high normal cortissol- but i am petrified of getting blood drawn. my saliva tests show low cortisol.

i wish more cfs patients would look into "adrenal fatigue" saliva tests, and treatment. i know it will not help all of us, but it sure has helped some of us, and seems to have a better success rate than many treatments (just my opinion).

good luck all
  6. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I agree about the stress and the blood, but my blood was drawn at 8am and 4pm on different days and I was equally freaked out on both days.

My AM cortisol was off the charts high, and the PM cortisol was normal.

I will be curious to see what results come out of my saliva test. In addition to cortisol, we'll look at DHEAS, pregnenolone and melatonin.

Also, I was told it's possible that my insomina around 4am is due to the fact that my AM cortisol is so damn high.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2009]