Very Low Ferritin Levels (5)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JolieLuLu, Jun 23, 2006.

1. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

Hiya to all of you wonderful people! (gosh, everyone here just amazes me with the support you give to each other!)

Anyway, I got back some blood work and my ferrtin level is quite poor~ (5) Does anyone have experience with treating this?

Thanks in advance,
    Jolie
  2. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to responding to me. I have printed out your information and will be taking it to my next Dr appt.

You are the best!
    Jolie~
  3. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I also have low ferritin, but my H & H are always normal. I have gotten IV iron 2x and immediately felt better. I see a hematologist also, and have had a bone marrow test which showed scant iron. He doesn't know why I can't absorb iron, and I've had the colonospy, endoscopy and he doesn't see a thing.

I felt imediately better after the IV iron, (looks like rust going into you vein) but it is a long process, outpatient. You need to be pre-treated with tylonel (i ran a fever last time I got it), hydrocortisone, and benedryl. The infusion last about 6-7 hrs. Usually my ferritin would go up in the 200's after, then start drifting down again.

I am now waiting for it to get a little lower and he will give me the infusion again.

Hope this helps!

maggie

4. sallys

sallys New Member

when u say u felt immediately better - what does this mean - were u fatigued and felt that improve

thanks
    sallys
  5. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

One of my biggest complaints with anemia was a very sore tongue. I couldn't eat anything salty or spicey without it making my eyes water it burned so much. The day after getting the iron, it always felt so much better.

It helped with fatigue as well. I just felt better!

Warmly,
    maggie
  6. missy1969

missy1969 New Member

Hi I'm new to the bored. I was wondering if any of you have been checked for a blood disorder called Thalassemia? I have it so my body won't absorb iron, I was wondering if an hematologist could help me. I'm so tired all the time and if I do get energy it doesn't last very long.

Thanks Missy
  7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

My level was 20 and my doctor said it was too low. I take Slow FE (over the counter) with Vitamin C at the same time for faster absorption. You'll need to take it over a few months and get retested again.

CherylSue