Very misleading/I'm so pissed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tandy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hey guys~
    What to you,...? does Animal Hospital mean?

Is'nt that around the clock care?
    I thought so.

No. When I went to visit my still sick/but slightly better cat at 5pm last night,... one of the workers there told me that everyone goes home @6 pm other than a cleaning person. !!!!
    so what in hell am I paying $100 a night for for my cat!? plus care or IVs, meds, etc.
    this is gonna end up being 400 bucks or more and I just feel very mis-lead by the word animal hospital.
    Any thoughts? help
    is this the way they are all run? this is shear bull****.
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

We have a local Animal Hospital thats open from 8 am to 6 pm,,,,,and a "Emergency on call Vet" 24 hr's a day,,,they all take turns being on call i guess,,,,,,But as far as someone being at the place overnight,,,,Don't think so!,,,,,,,,Sad!,,,

I had to take Mr Lucky to the Vet for an ear infection ,,,,,,The Vet took at most 5 minutes with him ,,,,plus a vacine,,,,,,,$100 bucks,,,,There went my living exspence money for the month!,,,,,,,I Hope your kitty gets well soon!,,,,,,,,Sis
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

24hour round the clock care, not over here in UK anyway.

I would be very reluctant to leave my kitties overnight but in your case you didn't have any choice.

The quicker you're wee kitty is home the better.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It's quite possible there is no one there during the night. Which really makes little sense for nocternal cats. Most animal hospitals have a vet on-call and often they check on them at night. I'd ask again to be sure.

There's not much you can do this time but I'd certainly find another animal hospital for the future if you need it.

Remember when everyone wanted to be a doctor or lawyer to make the big bucks? Now it's a vet.

Good luck.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I just don't wanna get too excited cause he's certainly not out of the woods yet. You can tell he's very sick.
    He just sleeps,..and sleeps & sleeps.
    and I have to force him to eat and take his meds.

I'm hopeful he'll come around soon.
    I researched his condition and it said on alot of sites that it takes 3 wks to get back on their feet once they start recovering~

I only worry about keeping him well hydrated. I'll use a dropper if needed just to get water in him.
    Thanks for everything,
    Huge hugs
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I see many vets now calling themselves "Animal Hospitals" so those two words no longer reflect how many hours they are open during the day or if they are an emergency clinic. But I see 24 hour clinics listing themselves as "Emergency Clinics" and you have to ask their hours just to make sure. One Emergency Clinic about a half hour away is only open until Midnight, where the other one about 15 minutes from me is open 24/7 and has so much more equipment and truly able to handle a vast multitude of emergencies of so many types and for many types of animals.

I think many vets and Emergency Clinics stopped the 24/7 hours because it was too costly to keep staff there waiting for an animal that needed overnight care. Plus the risk of being open and robbed for drugs and money was too great. So I see it in our area as now pushed to a select few Emergency Clinics that are open 24/7 and just to walk through the door is about $140.
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm so glad your wee kitty is home at last. He will be weak and totally freaked out, poor wee soul but with all your tender loving care he should be on his feet soon.

You must be so relieved to have him home.

Here's to a quick recovery.

8. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm nursing him back. I hope~

I just wish I knew what amount of food/water was sufficient for nurishment. ??
    The vet was'nt there when I picked the cat up for discharge. and the young girl that works there said oh,.. just a spoon or so is good'
    He's eating a tiny bit but only by coaking him.
    He feels so much lighter in weight then he use to be.
    Thats what worrys me. and he still only lays,...and will not stand on his feet. (too weak??)
    Is all this normal yet?
    just thinking outloud in words~
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm so glad he's home!

Yep, an eye dropper and water will work. Pull back the corner of his mouth and squirt. I'd do it every other hour. Dehydration can take cats down faster than almost anything. One of the people who volunteers at the shelter with me actually has been "juicing" his old cat for three years! He had the actual equipment for the IV. To me, that's taking it a bit far, kinda like stuffing them...:>/

Another idea is to soak the cat's dry food in water. It makes it easier to chew, to digest and to eat. I'm sure you're also tempting him with wet food, right? Not a lot at a time, but frequently.

Don't be worried if he does sleep a lot. Like us, sleep heals. Tell him you love him and tell him he's getting better.

Hang in there Tandy and Kitty.

10. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm glad your BaBy is Home!!,,,Here's to a speedy recovery!,,,,,,,HUgs!,,,,Sis
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

Thank you so much for the replys

I'm so happy I was able to get him to eat today. 2 times!! not much, but he's at least eating.

This is gonna sound goofy but,....

I was making homemade chicken soup today for me and the kids,.... (I always crave soup when I have a cold. Me & the boys have lil colds)
    well,... I saved some chicken broth and purposly added a pinch of real garlic, and mixed it in with his catfood a few minutes ago. My cat loved it.!! :)
    now he's back to sleeping~
    thanks guys~
    you've been my lifesavers!
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I would telephone your vet Monday - if the assistant couldn't give you the correct info about how to care for your boy then the vet needs to tell you.

I think after all the money they charge someone should have been there to let you know about his aftercare or at least given you a list of how to care for him.

13. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I am so happy for you and Kitty to be home together.

Make sure to call your Vet tomorrow and ask the questions. I can't believe they wouldn't have someone knowledgable to discuss this at the cats release to you. They should give you both verbal and written instructions. It seems customer service keeps getting worse in this country and prices get higher.

On the eye dropper, please ask your vet about this or at least google it. I have tried it before with my cat (who has a history of dehydration) and she has gotten the water in her lungs and began coughing to get it out. My vet told me cats can get asperated(sp?) and the best method of rehydrating is subcutaneously. You can buy the kits at the vet and do it yourself.

Anyway, I am not an expert by any means but just thought I'd throw that out there to consider if your cat starts to cough or anything after using the dropper.

Best wishes for your kitty!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2008]
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

well,.. the girl that discharged my cat said 'reg diet as tolerated',..... and the antibiotics 2 x a day.
    Reg. diet is way out of line cause he's hardly eating today and yesterday.
    Just now I'm noticing my cat cleaning himself which is a good sign since I have'nt seen him do that in a week!!

JL* the subcutaneous fluids is how they were hyrating him at the vet.
    I asked.
    Is that a hard thing to learn if needed??
    also,... I read on a site for cat health that using baby foods, like the small jars of chicken is very good for sickly cats. I'm gonna get some today.
    He fights the dropper. :(
    he keeps pulling his head back or turning his head.
    I get some in him but alot gets wasted.
    He's not cooperating w/me.
    (no noted coughing tho)
    Thanks for all your enormous help with this cat ordeal~
    I have a follow up with the vet this thursday.
    (I'm wondering if this will be a new charge,or if its included in what I already paid?)
    will check back later today,
  15. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm sure you already posted this some where, but, what exactly happened to kitty??

Hopefully he/she continues to improve from here on up. Cleaning himself sounds like a good sign too me.

Best of wishes for you and kitty,

16. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I am so glad kitty is cleaning himself, that is a good sign.
    On the subcutaneous fluids, I'll be honest with you, I am a chicken about doing it myself, so I take my cat to the vet to do it. They have the kits and say its easy but I am too scared to try it. Since we moved to San Diego my cat hasn't had as much difficulty in staying hydrated. I think it is the change in water. She just didn't like the water in Los Angeles I guess. I also found that if I add some ice cubes, she LOVES it.

My cat is 16 and I give her baby food all the time. It is the only way I can stimulate her appetite. And when I had a sick kitten many years ago the breeder told me to put baby food in a large dropper and put it in her mouth and force her to eat. Worked well. I've not had to force my 16 y/0 cat yet but will if I have too!

I hope your baby keeps getting better.
  17. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Glad to see that your kitty is home. Hope he continues to improve. But avoid giving him garlic. Garlic, and even worse, onions, are toxic to cats. They both have similar substances in them that destroy red blood cells in cats, causing a form of anemia. (Tomatoes, chocolate, grapes and raisins are also on the list of foods that are toxic to cats.)