Very on topic - why I post the OT's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rose_Red, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

After the recent mess on the boards I had to take some time and really think. I did read what everyone wrote and tried to understand where they were coming from.

One thing that stuck out was, obviously, people discussing the OT posts. The Today's funny and Inspirational were mentioned directly by quite a few people. Some loved them and others thought they really didn't belong on a health forum.

(No - I didn't take offence or take it personally and honestly really don't remember who said what. There was just too much going on.)

So, please don't think that I am hurt or offended here. I just thought that those of you who don't think it appropriate would at least like an explanation of why they are here.

I have been trying desparately to cope with depression since just before Easter. It may be the anniversary of Christ rising from the grave but I much rather would have joined him that day.

I did go to my doctor and I am taking anti-depressants. No wonder so many people call them 'happy pills'!!!!! The happy lasted about a month while I was getting used to taking them. My cloud has lifted from deepest black to varying shades of gray. Sometimes even lifting completely - not often but often enough to remember life without this veil on my heart.

I sooooooooo want to live without this depression. I want to be able to be 32 years old instead of 75. I am so ready to start healing my body because I know that if I can reduce the chronic pain that a lot of my sadness will lift.

SO, I'm making a concerted effort to change my attitude and outlook on life. I know I am very nihilistic and cynical. I could go on and on and list all the reasons but I won't. In a nutshell - super-abusive ex-husband, moving 1,000 to get away from him, loneliness - 2 years and I still don't really know anybody out here, chonic pain, etc. I'm not writing this for my own pity party - I'd just like for you guys to know where I'm coming from.

I have a lot of jokes in my email. That's the one time during the day that I know I will laugh out loud and I so look forward to reading my email with my coffee in the morning. I know that so many of us here deal with depression that I thought if it can brighten my day, maybe I can help to brighten someone else's, too.

The Inspirational posts are much harder to come by. I get very few in my email and have to go looking online for them. Just the process of saying to myself - it's time does something inside me. Even if I don't want to be inspired I still look and read and I post what touches my heart and I am inspired anyway.

Posting these on a public forum and doing it for others and not just myself (when I really don't feel like it) is a daily affirmation that I am doing what I can, what I'm capable of, to help heal myself.

You guys have no idea how much the positive replies mean to me. It feels so good to know that I helped to brighten someone's day.

I do hope that those of you who do not think these posts appropriate for this forum can just understand why they are there. If they are a problem and I'm asked to stop posting them I will - no hard feelings at all.

Thanks for listening to my pathetic little ramble today,
    Michele

2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I for one want to thank you for your funnies. I've only been here a little while but to be honest there are some days that I get on here only to read the OT funnies. Like most people on here I too suffer from depression and something even worse as far as I'm concerned is Fibro Fog. It's bad enough to be sad most of the time but to be sad and then feel stupid isn't a lot of fun. This site is very informative but the days that I read only the funnies are the days when I'm having trouble even remembering my kids names. We all need a laugh now and then and to have some fun. Whatever else goes on with this site I for one say thank you for the funnies and keep it up. Good luck with all you are going through and remember you are not along...... Sue
  3. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

I enjoy reading your OT's and like you I do post a joke or two. And I am happy knowing other people enjoy them, its nice to know we brought a little laughter into someones life. As I strongly believe we need a little humour in our days, as it does help us forget, our pain, discomfort, fybro fog and depression for a little while. I also enjoy reading the inspirational posts and poetry people post and find them very uplifting.

I hope we will be able to continue to post our jokes, poetry etc, as it does help brightened the day for a lot of people here.

take care,
    gentle hugs,
    brit
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

is a very worthwhile pursuit. There will always be nay-sayers on anything, any time.

keep on doing what you are doing. If you have others in mind you are on the right track.

Sonya
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." Love Denamay
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Just wanted you to know how much I've enjoyed your funny jokes and stories. I don't always reply, but often it's because I don't have the energy or the pain in my hands is bad that day so typing is too hard.

I'm sorry about your depression, but you have the right idea. Humor is so important in our lives.

Ellen
  7. kbak

kbak Member

I sincerely wish you much happier days. It is a battle with this dang disease. None of us are chemically balanced, so depression is a big problem. From your posts, I can tell your a wonderful caring person. Hang in there!

((((A BIG HOT FUDGE HUG)))))
  8. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

i DONT WANT TO JUST TALK ABOUT FIBRO I WANT TO SEE ALL SIDES OF PEOPLE. I DONT POST OFTEN BUT I ENJOY AL YOU POSTS THX GAIL
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Michele:
    I do not know anything about any controvery (been wrapped up in my own mess), but lifting out of your depression is so nice. I am glad there is sunshine in your day instead of rain. And a sense of humour certainly helps.
    NyroFan
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

My hat is off to you for putting one foot in front of the other and working so hard to get better. You should be
    proud of yourself for accomplishing what you have, while
    living with these illnesses.

I don't mind off topic posts. I'm not sure I'm very
    clear when I talk about them. I think, and what you just wrote, confirms my thoughts ... that off topic posts are
    good for our overall health.

I ask that the members respect Pro Health and Pro Health's guidelines. It's not that we post off topic threads, it that some will disrespect the agreement we all
    signed.

I have enjoyed your off topic posts. I have only read 1
    inspirational, I don't remember it at the momment ( sorry
    fibro fog ) ... I don't always reply, but I do enjoy them.

The moderators have said repeately that off topic posts are certainly allowed, and enjoyed. They ask that we
    use common sense when deciding whether or not a topic we are interested in posting is appropriate.

I think you are as sharp as they come. You are also a
    very compassionate person despite the difficulties you have
    survived. I don't think you disrespect Pro Health's rules.
    I don't think you post things that cause others discomfort.
    Your intelligence and compassion would keep you from ever
    doing that.

You keep posting off topics if you like. Follow your heart and your head before hitting the "post" button. If you ( all of us )see our post is not going the direction intended, can always hit the "delete" button and end it.
    You would be well within the rules.

Some will always prefer the days of CFS/FM topics only
    format, but that is not the format Pro Health has laid out.
    There is nothing you can do about that.

I hope this helps you some. I'll be thinking about you.

Elsa

11. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Humor is necessary in healing. It has been documented many a time!

To me, it is very easy to see the OT and move on if one should desire. At this time especially, I think humor could only improve the spirits on this board.

I am glad you are taking it well. This board goes through spurts when all is out of whack. Like a family it usually gets its act together.

Come on girl....keep on keeping on!

Hugs,

Kim
  12. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I'm really not sure I understand any of this. Why don't people just skip over topis they don't want to read?? Don't worry about it. Your Attitude is so important to feeling better! keep up the inspiration and humor! Lynn
  13. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

All I can say is WOW. Thank you for your support and understanding. You'll never know how much it means to me.

michele
  14. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

even if I dont always respond.

I agree with ldbgcoleman...I too dont understand why people just dont skip over these post if they dont want to read them...As long as your not offending anyone personally or going against the rules...I just dont see the harm!!!

But for me..I have No Problem with the OT post and sometimes may post something OT myself...We all need a little laugh once in awhile as well as something inspirational..in my opinion!!

((Hugs))
    Bluerose
  15. Toga

Toga Member

Never pass up the opportunity to laugh. Keep them coming.

Toga
  16. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I read or skip the OT posts depending on my time and inclination. I don't see why others cannot do the same, without complaining.

Here's soming from Emily Dickenson that I hope you will find inspiring.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
    I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin
    Unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
  17. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Keep the funnies coming! I think it does us good to be light hearted every now and then!

I know this board is for health problems, but if a joke or two brightens someone up, then I say it's good for our health!

Kinsie
  18. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

you guys are awesome!!!!!

You have no idea how much all this luv and support meant and still means to me. I just sat here yesterday in awe reading the replies here. It's so hard for me to reach out for help or to ever ask for it but it was so beautifully offered by so many of you.

You guys helped make a very sad day so much brighter. There just aren't enough thank you's to go around

Luv & hugs,
    michele
  19. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

The way I see it is that there are many of us here. So therefore there are many needs to be met here. Not all of us come here for the same reasons.

Now, that that's been said. I for one come here to be (up)lifted. That can come in many ways. This board is my inspiration and people like you, Michele, do so much for me. When we laugh, we release endorphins which can help a body heal. It's all a part of better health.

There is a friendship here that can't be matched. Even if we have never met.... we all have something in common, and what we have in common makes up the majority of our waking day or night.

If I ever come to this board and find that we can't laugh and cry together, then I will not come back.

I love you all......... Jo