Very painful teeth cleaning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My hygenist is usually very gentle and I do ok. But today I was literally crying while she used that water spray thing to clean below the gum line. It was horrible.

She wondered if it might be because of the fibro. My whole jaw and all of my gums hurt really bad now.

Anyone else have this happen or know if it is related to FM?

Thanks All!
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Looks like Jam is the food of the day!

Jamin - I will check into the grapeseed extract. The pockets in my back teeth are very deep. I won't let them map them anymore, just too painful.

Usually Leslie is very gentle, she's done my teeth for years. They have to deep clean because of those deep pockets so they can get the bacteria out. I could tell she felt really bad that I was crying. It was all I could do not to stop them and get out of there.

Thanks for your imput, I do feel better knowing this is probably fibro related and I will be able to identify the cause of my flare (you know it's coming) when it happens, probably tomorrow or Friday (just in time for the weekend!).

My mouth is so sore I don't know if I'll be able to eat my lunch, PB & J (That's jam by the way, home made raspberry!) and an apple. I also brought Triskets and I know I'm not gonna be able to eat them! Might need some soup!

THanks again,
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I need some major dental work done and am dreading it as just the exam triggered a flare with me.

Have others noticed a problem with numbing? I read this is a problem with fibro.

It took 2 1/2 hrs and after the dentist kept hitting the nerve(root canal)I told him to just pull the tooth.

Any suggestions? One tooth is broken off to gum line can't put off any longer.
  4. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I used to get my teeth cleaned routinely with no pain, and now it really hurts, so I avoid it. I was wondering, what about a local anaesthetic, i.e. Lidocaine. I don't think I've had problems with that before. Should I tell the dentist to do that?

I also had very painful teeth until I started using Sensitive Teeth toothpaste. It has to be a special brand, and I can't remember the brand name, so if anyone needs it, let me know.
  5. jenbooks13

jenbooks13 New Member

I don't trust the cavitron. Eleven years ago it was used to clean my teeth and two weeks later I had excruciating pain down my left side that went on for five months and finally after multiple doctors was diagnosed as a cracked wisdom tooth. I am sure the Cavitron cracked the tooth because if not used carefully, it can damage the vulnerable teeth roots and ligaments, which is where they use it under the gumline. A friend of mine just let them use the Cavitron because they insisted and his tooth has been killing him ever since and hurting down his back etc (and he is healthy). After all those years of insisting on hand scaling which was no problem a dental hygienist about six weeks ago was very upset that I would not let him use it and told me my gums were horrible and I was facing massive bone loss etc and shamed me into letting him use it against my better judgment as I would have wasted all that $ as he said he COULD NOT do the cleaning by hand as my teeth were too bad. He was just a lazy a$$ imo. After the cleaning my gland swelled, I felt sick as a dog for 10 days, low grade fevers, and the gland is still swollen. Who says that they aren't putting bacteria in your mouth with those things anyway, right under the gumline, oscillating at such high speeds? Its known from studies the lines of cavitrons and the water spritzers they use are filled with bacteria. They only change the tips.

I am going for a deep scaling, I guess--I see a periodontist tomorrow. Since they charge a lot per quadrant I'm going to insist on hand scaling. I will never use the Cavitron again. And by the way if you really do thorough research you find it is in the scientific literature that it DOES damage teeth roots and ligaments. It just maeks it so much easier for hygienists and its so popular.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2008]
  6. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

Acouple of weeks ago i was eating potato chips. I bit down, and heard something crunch. Spit it out, and there was half of my molar.

Called the dentist, in a panic, went in the next day. I cried all thru the making of the cast.

A week or so later, I had to have the crown put on. The pain was so bad I asked for and received a shot to deaden it.

Dental pain is sooo hard to handle.

7. ruhig

ruhig New Member

I can't stand having my teeth cleaned and I always take some advil before I go.

I used to have this great hygienist that I called "Gentle Nancy" and I did fine with her.
    She left my dentist's office and now I am back to taking advil again.

The last two times I had my teeth cleaned I ended up getting sick.

By the way, I have great gums, so it's not that they have to dig too deep or scrape too much tartar off. If you ask me it's the hygienist's techniques.

8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have them use the gas when they do any work on my teeth, which has been extensive.

The problem with it is that as soon as they start to work I tense up and the effect of the gas is nearly nothing.

I have always hated going to the dentist and I blame it on the dentist we went to when I was very young. He hypnotized us. I wouldn't remember anything from the time he came into the room until he was sitting up the chair.

I think the fear of the unknown is possibly the worst fear. I didn't know what had happened and that just scares me even more.

Thanks again for all your responses. Looks like teeth cleaning is a "touchy" subject. Sorry, couldn't resist!

9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My hygenist visits always used to be painful and my mouth and lip would be really sore for a day or two afterward. Finally we realized that I have a latex allergy and that my mouth would actually quckly have an allergic reaction as soon as the latex came in contact with my mouth. Once she started using non-latex gloves,as does the dentist as well since it is noted on my chart, I have signifigantly less pain and sensitivity at the dentist and when I come home.

10. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Whatever it is, I'll make sure my dentist doesn't use it!!
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I am so sorry that your cleaning was so painful. I have not had mine done for a while . I am a chicken. I was a dental assistant for 20 yrs, I had my teeth cleaned 2x a year and it was not bad but that was many years ago. I have a problem with the anesthic. I hate having shots to numb me up as they really HURT me when given. They put a lidocaine gel on the gums before the injection but I still feel the needle as it goes in .

But that is not the most painful experience for me as they inject the lidocaine I can feel each drop as it is given. With each slight push of the plunger sends more horriable pain into my gums and I lay there with tearsf running down my face .Since I have had this problem for ever I take a pain pill before going in and then I have the gas, but I am still crying because it is so painful for me.

I have only gone to the dentist when I have had to when a tooth breaks. I have two molars that need crowns but I can't take the pain from the shots or having the tooth shaved down and then to have a crown shoved on. I also can't afford it. So I have asked my dentist if he will just do buildups for me till I can afford to have crowns done.
    A crown is over $700.00 and I have to pay at least half,if not more. Hubbies insurance only pays up to $1200 a year so that is not even two crowns done not to mention the buildups. So they will wait. I have been to chicken to go in and have them done.

Answer to question what is a cavitron?
    It is a ultrasonic machine that sends sound waves to pulverise the calium buildup that is on the teeth. It is said to be not as painful as deep scalings. I am sorry that you had to go thru so much pain .

12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I talked to my daughter last night. She is a dental assistant.

She was amazed that the Cavatron caused so much pain (teeth still hurt today, not just the gums, the teeth and my jaw). She said the hygenist should have just stopped. DD says it would be hard to numb my whole mouth so the Cavatron wouldn't hurt as it would probably involve shots, but if they did the scaling instead they could numb each area as they went with a topical.

DD also said the grape extract was a great idea. She said it is good for lots of stuff and agreed I should be taking it. She's such a good daughter!

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like this topic has effected a lot of us so I am glad this gave some of you a forum to vent about your experiences.

Oops! I forgot! My dentist only uses non-latex gloves. Too many allergies, especially amount the people who wear them all the time.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2008]