VERY personal question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SwatWife525, Oct 6, 2009.

1. SwatWife525

SwatWife525 New Member

Does anyone have an EXTREMELY LOW sex drive?!

I'm mean good grief. Mine is to the point that I "forget it is down there sometimes". They have checked all of my hormone levels and everything is "normal".... Is there a definition for "normal"?!

2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I've been in too much pain to think much about sex for a long time. Medicine side effects also deplete my desire. But, I do have romantic fantasies. I sure wish I'd have some sex drive left. I hope lots of people post on this thread. Maybe I'll get some helpful advice.

3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Swat.

Did they check your testosterone level? The testosterone level affects sex drive in women just as it does in men, though the normal level of testosterone is of course lower for women.

4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My urologist discussed w/ me circulation through the sponge and mental health.

Infections and various neurotoxins do affect the brain function (cognitive dysfunction) aka brain fog, will affect sexual wellbeing too. The Klinghardt protocol uses 1 tsp bentonite clay and 1 TBSN of fiber to absorb neurotoxins in the entero-hepato loop.

Both sexes have a sponge. Hyper coagulation is our main problem. Enzymes may help here. There is a blood clotting protien called fibrin. Too much fibrin in found in many of us, so nattokinase, lumbrokinase, serreptonase (sp?), also papaya (papain) and pineapple (bromelain).

Also, I've found better "response" using arginine AKG. It helps the body make Nitric Oxide and expand blood vessels. Arginine is food for herpes, so not recommended if you tested positive. Lysine and Arginine are antagonists. Taking lysine starves the body, somewhat, for arginine but really starves the herpes viral class.
  5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Testosterone levels in women affecting sex drive. She told me that a new study found that it was really Estrogen that affects sex drive in women.

6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

With me, they said I had elevated testosterone and low estrogen. I haven't wanted to do it in a long time.

I'm now on my second pack of birth control pills, attempting to see if regulating the cycle will help.

What I can tell you is, when I first got sick, like nineteen years ago, I went to a support group. A small group of women. They all said they never wanted to do it and didn't care if they ever had sex again. I hadn't lost my sex drive at that point, and I remember thinking I hoped that would never be me. Well, sure enough, the sex drive went. The only time I had it back was when I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen birth control pills around 2003. It came back on those and I had double orgasms on those pills. It was great, while it lasted. I ended up having to go off them when my blood pressure skyrocketed and I almost had a stroke on them. Now, I'm on Trinessa for the irregular periods and fibroids. I just want to regulate it and I'm hoping I'll get some of the drive back again. It's too soon to tell.

I think losing the sex drive is actually a way of the body not wanting to procreate when we are sick. Like some natural protection mechanism. The body doesn't want you to infect a fetus with something, so you lose the drive.
  7. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, AllWX.

Here's the abstract of a recent paper from Hopkins that sheds some light on this topic:

Best regards,

Climacteric. 2008 Jun;11(3):181-91.

Testosterone therapy for sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women.

Hubayter Z, Simon JA.

Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA.

BACKGROUND: After menopause, both surgical and natural, increases occur in the number of women experiencing sexual dysfunction. Although a direct link between sexual dysfunction and endogenous testosterone levels has not been clearly established, testosterone therapy is known to improve the signs and symptoms related to hypoactive sexual desire. However, testosterone supplementation is not approved in the United States for these clinical indications, primarily because of a lack of data evaluating the possible side-effects of these drugs. METHOD: A MEDLINE search was performed, with a priority for well-designed studies (randomized, controlled trials, meta-analysis), for published data related to the efficacy and safety of testosterone therapy in postmenopausal women. RESULTS: Randomized trials have demonstrated an improvement in sexual function with testosterone in postmenopausal women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder, particularly after oophorectomies. Side-effects have been well tolerated and reversible upon discontinuation. CONCLUSION: Exogenous testosterone treatment provides a rational therapeutic alternative to consider in women whose hypoactive sexual desire disorder negatively affects their quality of life and who have no biologic or psychosocial causes not related to decreased androgen levels for their sexual disorder. Women receiving testosterone should be monitored for clinical improvement and for adverse reactions. Transdermal patches and topical gels avoid the hepatic first-pass metabolism and are the preferred formulations. Testosterone therapy is usually administered concomitantly with estrogen therapy due to a lack of adequate safety and efficacy data on testosterone alone.

PMID: 18568783 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Get your hormone levels tested, esp. the testosterone. It's absolutely essential for sex drive ...

Your OBGYN should be able to order a test.

9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I never had much of one to begin with, but it first started disappearing when I went on Prozac. ADs are notorious for messing w our sex lives!

Nowadays, my libido is low and it's also difficult to reach the big "O". I am also perimenopausal, so I'm sure my hormones are wacky.

Anytime I've mentioned this topic to any Dr (male and female) they just kind of say...well, just force yourself for your husband's sake, or that it's normal to lose libido/ability due to illnesses I have and meds I'm on. Pfft!

I do really miss that feeling of "wanting it", I still do get the urge sometimes but I'm too tired and achey to initiate any action. My dh is often worried that he'll hurt me since I can barely stand to be touched sometimes. Thank goodness he's very understanding and is willing to accept other ways to have fun...

Also, after having kids, things were never the same down there. Even tho my youngest is 14, I still have the aftermath of damage from his birth. I guess I probably need to see my GYN and ask about giving me a tune up!!!
  10. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

Here's one related to premenopausal women

Drugs. 2008;68(3):259-64.

Pharmacological therapy for female sexual dysfunction: has progress been made?

Davis SR, Nijland EA.

Women's Health Program, Department of Medicine, Monash University, Prahran, Victoria, Australia.

The investigation of female sexual dysfunction (FSD) is an evolving area in which definitions and models for female sexual functioning are being continually reviewed and revised. The lack of consensus amongst experts in the field and regulating authorities regarding appropriate inclusion and exclusion criteria for FSD trials, and main outcome measures appropriate for the evaluation of drug interventions has somewhat hampered progression in this area. Nonetheless, there is evidence from randomized controlled trials that androgen therapy improves the quality of the sexual experience for postmenopausal women with low libido, and preliminary data that this may also apply to premenopausal women.

PMID: 18257605 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Best regards,

11. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

but what TeaBiscuit stated about libido and birth control pills (estrogen), might be worthy of a poll.

How many other females have had this experience? Maybe ask your doc for a bioidentical estrogen patch or cream.

I also saw on a Mercury chelation forum, that getting mercury out raised female libido.
    How many of us still have our dental amalgams?????

12. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

What is this androgen therapy. I seem to fall into all three categories of women.
    1) too young for menopause
    2) had partial hysterectomy 10 years ago (my kick off for this lovely DD)
    3) menopause could happen and I won't even know it, I'm that screwed up.

I have used the testosterone cream therapy at one point with very minimal results. My testosterone levels are non existent, or at least the lowest my DR. had ever seen.

I have a very patient and loving hubby but he deserves so much more.
  13. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, nah.

Testosterone is an androgen. So is DHEA. So are androstenedione and androstenediol. If transdermal testosterone cream or gel don't raise your testosterone level to normal, perhaps you need an aromatase inhibitor with it. Aromatase is the enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen. The aromatase inhibitors slow this reaction down. I'm not a licensed physician, but a gynecologist or an endocrinologist should be able to help you with this. There are test panels that look at a whole range of steroids, so you can see what is working right and what isn't. Meridian Valley Lab in Washington state offers one. So does Genova Diagnostics.

Best regards,

14. SwatWife525

SwatWife525 New Member

IS MY ENEMY!!!

Especially the Nuva Ring. My husband called it the Devil Ring LOL
  15. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

have lost it for the most part, but even when I have the urge I can't get to where I want to go. It's almost like having to sneeze and can't! LOL! For me, I think it's partly the meds I take, and partly because I've been with the same individual since I was 18, am now 38 and partly because our whole nervous & endocrine systems are screwed up. It's tough on both partners in a relationship, and a shame too. Let us know if you do find any answers, I for one would enjoy getting my groove back! :)