very sharp pain under left ribcage...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sweetbeatlvr, Nov 1, 2007.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

just wondering if anyone else here has ever had this happen...

i was standing up getting a cup of coffee and talking to my husband on the phone. all of a suddeen, i got an *extremely* sharp pain up under the bottom of my left ribcage. i screamed and fell to the floor, it hurt so bad.

it almost felt like something was contracting in there.

i've had pain through my ribs and chest for the last few days, but i've never had a pain this sharp.

any ideas?
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

It almost feels like something in my body is caught or stuck or twisted. It only happens if I do something suddenly like twisting or standing up from sitting, bending over, etc. I've had it on both my right and my left side.

It seems to dissipate after a few minutes, if I don't move. I'd love to see who else gets this.

Regards,

CanBrit

3. 545

545 New Member

I also seem to get that pain on occasion, or something similar to it. It feels more like it's in my upper-stomach though, as if I swallowed needles. It doesn't occur too often though, perhaps just once or twice a month.

When I get it, it's often associated with some other symptoms of gastritis. So I think you might be right by relating it to contractions, and they might be stomach contractions. I wonder if it's related to signs of gut-paralysis, which can be the cause/effect of various syndromes.[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2007]
  4. goldengoddess

goldengoddess New Member

Yeah, I don't know what this is. I get sharp pains sometimes, not around my "spots" or tender areas at all, and they hurt like hell! They just last a second, but the memory in the flesh around lingers all day. Sometimes it feels like its up under my rib cage and I can't reach it. I usually get it when I am standing, or moving. Just another mystery to my FMS!!!
  5. flossyfudleFran

flossyfudleFran New Member

hi all,

i currently have this sharp pain under the left ribcage,and it happened to me last night while at work,when i was bending down to pick some rubbish off the floor.

ive had this problem on and off for many years,and yes it does feel like something has twisted inside of me.

my mum had fibromyalgia too,and used to complain of this thing happening to her,often.

one doctor said its due to arthritis in the ribcage,although this sharp pain isnt actually in the ribcage,but rather directly under it.

another doctor told my mum that her spleen was swollen,and that was causing this sharp pain upon bending,its a sort of intense throb when not bending,but agony while actually bending.

ive read my amitripyline side affects list, and it says a swollen spleen is one of those.

so it could be due to that,or it could be that we have a infection some where in our body,and so the spleen is inflamed because of that.

my mum wasnt on any medication,only water tablets,yet her spleen was swollen,so maybe its a immune system response to infection.

what ever is causing it,i hate it.its very painful and intense.

i have found over the years that it does come and go,so it could be a affect of having fibro.who knows.

i currently have swelling in my face,the right side of the jaw,and the jaw feels like it wants to pop out if i laugh.

so i have a feeling im currently having a fibro flare of the jaw/face muscles,and maybe thats why my spleen is swollen too.

kind regards

fran
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

I'm getting a sharp pain in my ribs at the moment from a kidney stone.
  7. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

thank goodness it hasn't happened again.

whoever said the actual pain only lasts a few seconds, but the tenderness lingers around all day...that's exactly what happened.

i'm going to bring it up at my next appointment.

thanks again... Autumn <3
  8. soozan48

soozan48 New Member

can't be my gall bladder ... had that out in 2000. Had my other guts checked out and nothing is unusual. I haven't had any severe attacks in a long time now (knock on wood) but I know exactly what you me?an about screaming and falling to the floor in pain. I think you should tell your DR about this and make sure it is not something else (other than this DD).
  9. jgail

jgail New Member

FM FOR 7YRS -THIS IS THE FIRST RIBB PAIN FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS ON AND OFF - IT SEEMS TO COME WTTH FALL AND COLD AND CLOUDS SO FAR - WHEN COLD WEATHER CHANGES TO WARDM WEATHER, IT GOES AWAY - FEELS LIKE THE MUSCLES AROUND MY RIBBS HAVE PAIN AND INFLAMATION - WARM HEAT PAD AND REST HELPS MINE

GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS

10. Mowee

Mowee Guest

I get these too. On both sides. Don't know what they are. I'm thinking kidney stones passing? Gallstones?

as for the mention of possible costachondritis(fancy word that basically means chest wall pain that has no known reason) I have personally always found it quite interesting that I first started getting ill after having a feeling like one of my lower left ribs twisted and moved back again. pain was intense but did not last but a few secs and did not continue. I did however at times feel a constriction in my lower rib area that strapped around my entire body.

I was diagnosed with costachondritis but after a year and a lot of new problems and symptoms appearing that were not helped by traditional medicine, I found that my ribs needed to be adjusted by a chiropractor (one who practices applied kinesiology has worked best for me)

I had to have them realigned where they connect to the spine in the back and also in the front where the ribs meet the sternum. This helped immensely but due to the length before treating it I found that I had a lot of scar tissue which made it difficult to keep them in place and had to rehabilitate several muscles through PT as well.

There are so many joints in the ribs that if one is slightly askew it can radiate pain and affect breathing rhythm which intrigues me because they now realize breathing is affected in people with CFS/FM.

Just thoughts I been thinking HTH

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2007]
  11. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

everybody. i guess there could be various reasons for it happening.

i'm defiantely going to bring it up to my doc. on Monday.

some of these symptoms are really scary, especially if you're not sure what's going on.

thanks again for your help. i'm so thankful to have such a great support network, even if i havn't met any of you.:)
    jacc123 likes this.
  12. chyrel

chyrel New Member

But sometimes it feels like something is twisting and turning under my left ribcage. I guess you could liken it to a snake slithering around and tying knots in your insides. Very painful.

chyrel
  13. jacc123

jacc123 Member

i get this also. Like something hangs in my ribcage. Will hurt really bad for 1-2 minutes. Can't move, just moan out loud. I'd like to know what it is. It quits hurting when whatever turns loose.
  14. jacc123

jacc123 Member

Did you ever get an answer????