Very unrgent-muscle spasms in legs--can't take it anymore!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dragenfli, Nov 27, 2005.

1. dragenfli

dragenfli New Member

Pleassssseee help!!! I have those muscle spasms in my legs where they jump constantly i mean constantly. It's not restless legs. It has gotten so bad again now that my heart rate goes up into the 130s and i start to have anxiety attacks just because the moving won't quit. Nothing has worked qt getting rid of it. Any suggestions? Is life worth this? I have to stand/walk all of the time and it still goes on. Tears and crying out to God Almighty for mercy haven't helped. What else is there?
  2. dragenfli

dragenfli New Member

me mirapex and zanaflex. my chiro has recommended a nerve block but med doc was not for that. My med doc has been good, she just does not understand me and my "weridness" I have been "blessed" with.
  3. dragenfli

dragenfli New Member

zanaflex is. mirapex is dxd for various things. primarily for the severe tremors assoc. w/ parkinson's. thankx for caring. glad you don't have the problem--woulldn't wish this on anyone.
  4. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Sometimes I get painful cramps in my legs/calf muscles. They hurt and occasionally twitch. I do not know if this is similar to what you are experiencing, but for me it's more of a nutritional deficiency, namely potassium/magnesium (minerals) and/or dehydration.

If you are up tonight, still, and your legs are cramping/hurting, maybe try to eat a banana if you have one and/or drink a lot of water. If it's similar to my situation, possibly it will help. That being said, it also sounds like you could very well have something else going on. Please call a doctor in the morning and get it checked out! I so help you find relief soon.

C. (CFS, but I can't sleep tonight)
  5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I do get those myself from time to time. I've found that moist heat helps some.

I take my Zanaflex (I have 2 mg. tablets, and although my prescription is written for 1 pill 3 times daily -- my dr. has OK'd taking up to 2 pills at once if the muscle spasms are really bad) and I also take 2 Tylenol for the pain.

Then I fill the bathtub with nice warm water and go in for a soak. I may soak for half an hour or so before the muscle spasms stop and stay stopped -- it may be necessary to add more hot water to keep it warm -- it stops the muscle spasms and relaxes the rest of me at the same time.

Usually between the soaking and the medicines it's enough to get it stopped.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi

i too get painful spasms and cramps that sometimes reduce me to tears.

my gp noticed the cramps in my shoulders ~ i had never said any thing to him about this.

he prescibed tizanidine at 2mg for me to take about lunch time but i find it makes me sleepy so i take it at night and boy do i notice the difference with the spasms and cramps.

as well as making me sleepy i get a very dry mouth but thats a small price to pay for the pain.

tizanidine is a drug used to help ms which i dont have, i have fm,me,raynauds and arthralgia.

i hope this helps you out its been a great med for me and someone else here has tizanidine ~ again not for ms but she has it morning and night ~ good luck

oh i also have tramadol at 100mg three times daily and 50mg amitriptyline at night for sleep.[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2005]
  7. gongee

gongee New Member

I had been having muscle spasms,cramping and twitching in my legs especially at night. Chiropractor put me on liquid Calcium/Magnesium and it has helped wonders. Good luck!! I feel your pain.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/28/2005]
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Mirapex do you take? It sure sounds a lot like restless legs, from one who also has that. I take .5 mg in the early afternoon, then 1 full mg. at bedtime. No more sleepless nights! Ask your doc about your dosage....good luck.
  9. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

I feel for you I truly understand how horrible leg cramps & pain can be!! What I do is eat a banana (someone suggested this also) & massage your legs with rubbing alcohol, this may sound strange but it works for me, the smell will go away & leave a "hospital" odor. Adding moist heat, & a muscle relaxer will help a great deal!! I hope you feel better & PLEASE see your doc about this to rule out PAD!!
  10. darude

darude New Member

But my legs are not jumping. they hurt like crazy and feel very weak!!!!!! Just today the pain has gone into my ankles. Anyone else? What is this.
  11. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

and get anything serious ruled out. If nothing is found I have heard that Klonopin (or Clonazepam) can be very good for jumpy restless legs AND anxiety.

Love Bunchy x
  12. Tiger69

Tiger69 New Member

I have bad muscle spasms in my back and legs. I take 800 mg Skelaxin every 8 hours as needed and Baclofen when the spasms aren't so bad 20 mg every 8 hours as needed. The Skelaxin helps the most when the muscle spasms are really bad.
    Do you take anything for the anxiety? I take 60 mg Cymbalta a day. This also helps with pain. I also take 1mg Xanax every 8 hours as needed for the anxiety.
    Hope you find this helpful.

13. sniffles

sniffles New Member

This is a home remedy to try. I read this in Dr. Gotts medical book about things people use for leg cramps and this really sounds crazy, but my neighbor and good friend tried this and it worked so here it is. Place a bar of soap under your fitted sheet down by your legs and leave it there. Don't use Dove or Ivory. I'm not sure why, but those two kinds won't work. Please don't laugh, just give it a try. I hope you get some relief real soon. Dr Gott has a book out called Live Longer, Live Better and also writes a news section everyday in lots of news papers around the country. People write to him about things they have used for home remedies and he tells his readers if he has heard of it before and if it is a safe thing to try. Just call me crazy or what-ever but I wanted to pass the information on to you and anyone else it might help. Good Luck and let me know if it works.
  14. dragenfli

dragenfli New Member

and holding.
    Thank you all for actually caring. I'm still having ptoblems galore with this even though my mirapex has been changed and increased. I have tried the quinine to no avail before. It is not cramps--just muscle spasms. I'm being referred to a neuro for ms consult again which I still believe I have. Pray for me please--went to doc today for a lump--and it has to come out--thank God above not my breast also--caught it in time. Please pray for an answer for me!!!!Thank you again to everyone.
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You many need supplements of "calcium and magnesium" for your muscles. Even if you are mildly deficient in some vitamins you can develop symptoms.

There is a supplement called Cal-Mag. You can also check the store on this site for calcium and magnesium supplements.

I pulled the following article off the web on muscle spasms:

MUSCLE SPASMS / CRAMPS: Nutritional Causes, Prevention and Therapies

Provided there are no neurological or neurodegenerative causes such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral
    palsy, stroke, or spinal cord injury - extra calcium is usually the solution for muscle spasms or muscle
    cramps in many nocturnal cases.

The extra requirements for calcium may be a result of high protein or phosphate levels (kidney disease, poor diet), hormonal diseases or imbalances, nutritional imbalances (high Mg/Ca ratio, low pantothenic acid), celiac disease or other intestinal conditions that interfere with calcium absorption, prescribed medications that promote calcium loss, random self-supplementation
    of the wrong vitamins and minerals, and others. (see also Acu-Cell Nutrition "Calcium & Magnesium").

When high calcium is suspected but no resources are available to measure cellular calcium levels

(serum calcium cannot be used for that purpose), an acidifying approach may be tried such as taking a

very large amount of Vitamin C for a few days. If the muscle spasms or cramps get worse, then at least
    one can assume that calcium was likely on the low side, and one needs to increase its dietary intake,

and/or use calcium supplementation.

If on the other hand the muscle cramps or spasms improve, then calcium is likely too high and requires

co-factors to make it more bioavailable by supplementing either magnesium, or a phosphorus source

such as lecithin, a higher daily intake of Vitamin C, or one could increase one's protein intake as
    another option.

Consuming foods or beverages containing lactic acid is another acidifying strategy to reduce muscle

cramps when working out, despite the buildup of lactic acid in muscle tissue during strenuous exercise
    being actually a common cause of muscle spasms or cramps. This happens from insufficient oxygen
    not being able to oxidize lactic acid, which would otherwise get rid of it from muscle. Inosine and
    creatin supplements also help to reduce the buildup of lactic acid in muscle.

As exercise tolerance increases from repeated training, it takes increasingly longer before lactic acid

is produced in muscle, so there is less of a chance of muscle cramps to develop. Lactic acid is found

in a number of foods and beverages, and it is also commercially added to increase their acidity (olives,

sauerkraut, cheese, beer, soft drinks, pickles...). Lactic acid-containing drinks can serve as a valuable

fluid replacement for athletes before, during, and after competitive training and exercise.

One-sided leg cramps or spasms can help with the decision of what to supplement, whereby the left
    side is usually indicative of calcium, while the right side is generally an indication of magnesium being

needed, although some individuals require a calcium / magnesium combination for relief as a result

of both being low. If right-sided muscle cramps respond to calcium (rather than to magnesium or other

acidifying strategies), then dehydration is suspect, and extra sodium may be additionally required.

Spasms or cramps in the toes can develop from a number of causes, including tight shoes, lack of

circulation, and sitting in a particular position (car, plane, theater) for longer periods of time. Briefly
    exercising one's toes, or a short walk usually provides relief, however if nutritional imbalances are a

contributing factor, then the sidedness may also provide a clue of which minerals may possibly be a
    factor, with the left side corresponding to an overly alkaline cellular environment (requiring an increase
    in phosphates or magnesium), and the right side corresponding to an overly acidic cellular environment
    (requiring more sodium or calcium). This is opposite from the mineral requirements involving left-sided

or right-sided only muscle spasms or cramps in someone's calves for instance.

If poor circulation causes muscle cramps, Vitamin E might be a good choice for its blood-thinning and

vasodilating properties. Gingko biloba also provides a blood-thinning effect and may be considered.

Sodium and/or potassium imbalances tend to become more of a problem during, or after physical
    activity, but less so during rest, so for exercise-induced leg cramps or muscle spasms, their addition

in the form of a sports drink, or through extra Sodium / Potassium supplementation in tablet form may

be a consideration. However, sufficient hydration (taking in enough fluid) is equally important before,

during, and after a workout!

In practice, not all cases are that straightforward. The following example presents the chemistry of an
    individual who experienced severe muscle cramps in his quadriceps (front of the thigh) within only a

few minutes on an exercise bike. It also demonstrates a seemingly possible - but in the long-term
    incorrect - interchangeability of similar-acting minerals (calcium versus sodium in this case):

Since calcium is quite low in Ratio to magnesium, supplementing 500mg of elemental calcium per day
    quickly resolved the problem - but only symptomatically!

The right strategy of course was to raise sodium, since continuing to supplement calcium would in time
    only lead to a greater increase in cellular magnesium, which in turn would lower sodium even more and
    result in all sorts of additional medical problems. While using extra salt works in some individuals, it will

not work with low-aldosterone types (whose sodium levels are chronically low - even with high sodium

intake), so supplements such as choline are indicated instead to raise sodium levels, which in time will

lower magnesium also and thus normalize an individual's Ca/Mg ratio as well. In the above case,

silicon / silica (which also inhibits magnesium), was another very important addition.

Once it is established that calcium and/or magnesium are needed, then the mineral type should be

matched to stomach acid levels. If they are high, then calcium / magnesium "carbonate" is preferable,

and when low, "citrate" is better. Carbonate is also generally better with a tendency for diarrhea, and

citrate is generally better with a tendency for constipation.

Since low calcium and/or low magnesium-induced muscle spasms or cramps go hand in hand with
    disturbances of bone mineral metabolism, it may be worthwhile to consult a medical practitioner and

be evaluated for other possible medical problems such as osteopenia or osteoporosis, whereby

additional supplements such as Vitamin D, or other dietary adjustments may be indicated.

Those suffering from leg cramps that are due to insufficient potassium intake should be aware of - or

at least use their symptoms as a warning sign - that ongoing low potassium levels increase the risk for
    cardiovascular disease and/or stroke.

Acute muscle spasms in the back are oftentimes triggered as a result of injuries, but chronic attacks
    can also result from curvature of the spine (scoliosis), age-related degenerative disk disease, and/or
    spinal alignment problems. Osteopathic / chiropractic adjustments, physiotherapy, muscle relaxants,

needle acupuncture, needle-less electro-acupuncture or electro therapy are common treatment options,

depending on the type of medical system one is most comfortable with.

Nutritional imbalances, i.e. abnormal Mineral Ratios are also capable of affecting spinal alignment,

or they can even lead to scoliosis over time (and subsequent muscle cramps and spasms), in which
    case drug therapy or frequent visits to a chiropractor, physiotherapist, or acupuncturist can become
    frustrating, since the therapy won't last. However, once a nutritional balance is re-established, the spine
    is less likely to go out of alignment and trigger muscle spasms, cramps, and/or other health problems.

"Sleep Starts" (myoclonic or hypnagogic jerks) describes a type of involuntary muscle jerking that
    takes place just before drifting off to sleep. While felt by most people at some point in their lives, these

sudden muscle twitches or jolts don't generally interfere with someone's sleep unless they occur on a
    regular, nightly basis. When they start to take place seconds apart, they will seriously affect a person's

ability to fall, or remain asleep. Some individuals experience shorter bouts that only last a few weeks,

however other people are less fortunate and may suffer "sleep starts" for several months, or on an
    ongoing basis.

There are some known medical conditions associated with myoclonus, including brain or spinal cord
    injury, Parkinson's disease, Tourette syndrome, multiple sclerosis, stroke, epilepsy, drug or chemical
    poisoning, organ damage, and others, however "sleep starts" is considered to be a type of 'Periodic

Limb Movement Disorder' that as of yet lacks a specific medical cause or has a known relationship to

a specific medical condition, although females are affected more than males, partly due to monthly

hormonal fluctuations that seem to aggravate this condition around the time of their menstrual cycle.

Standard treatments for "sleep starts" consist of clonazepam therapy (a benzodiazepine type of
    tranquilizer), which - while able to help the symptoms, invites the usual long-term dependency this class
    of drugs is known for. Some patients require additional drugs or drug combinations that may include
    barbiturates, sodium valproate, phenytoin, or primidone.

Unfortunately, nutritional approaches (as listed above) that are helpful for conventional muscle spasms

and cramps do not offer any benefits for most types of myoclonus, however I have found Taurine in the

1500 mg to 2000 mg+ / day range to be somewhat helpful for "sleep starts," provided reasonable care

is taken at the same time to avoid stimulants such as alcohol, caffeine, and excessive intake of white
    sugar, which are known to worsen symptoms. ¤

______________________________________________________________________________

Copyright © 2000-2005 Ronald Roth Acu-Cell Disorders: Muscle Spasms & Cramps

16. linclinc

linclinc New Member

I've been dealing with fms for 3 years now and had problems with cramping in my feet, legs and hands. I had great success with Gabapentin (neurontin) and ativan (great for anxiety) at night. My cramps went away almost right away. I am still having problems with fms, but the cramps are now under control. Calcium and magnesium did nothing for me.

good luck,
    Scott
  17. shep

shep New Member

I too suffered death with leg cramps and had tried various medications from my doctor.
    I finally went to a neurologist and she put me on a new medication that has just came on the market REQUIP and the first night it stopped all the cramps and pain.
    Please ask your doctor to check for blood clots ..it is very necessary to be sure you don't have one before you try any medications.
    I pray this works for you and you get some relief.
    Shep
  18. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I was put on Cymbalta.

The dr took me off it but they have since put me back on it. I feel so much better when I am on it - no jumping muscles - no anxiety, etc.

Hope you find what helps you!

Kelly
  19. rerern

rerern New Member

as a result of a sleep study I was dx with PLMS, periodic limb movement syndrome. My leg muscles contracted ~46x/hour which "aroused" me 36x/hour. No wonder I wake up tired. I share this with you because indeed it is not restless leg but is not uncommon with FM. Treatment with a parkinsons type med might help. If you take a SSRI (like Effexor) try taking it at night instead of the morning. I can feel these spasms at any time of day or night, they are not isolated to legs either. I am on week #3 with sinemet and effexor at HS and I am actually sleeping!