Vestibular Disorders anyone else??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by getfitat40, Aug 29, 2006.

1. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Has anyone heard of this sort of disorder Vestibular Disorders? I have had 8+ falls in the last 12 months. I have had MRI's, Cat Scans, XRays and it happened again very recently - I fell. I cannot pinpoint what happens and my rheumy is very concerned. The next stop is a neurologist but he wanted me to see a physical therapist first. With my search I located a clinic that treat Vestibular disorders. I copied this from a web site - check it out and any replies or info is much appreciated.

Thousands of individuals have balance disorders each year. The symptoms of a vestibular disorder can be frightening. You may start to limit your activities because of:

· Dizziness,
    · Nausea or motion sickness
    · A sensation of falling or spinning
    · And these may lead to an actual injury or fall!

What can physical therapy do to help? Your therapist, in conjunction with your physician, will design a program to improve your quality of living, and to diminish the symptoms noted above. This program may include

· Balance re-training
    · Gait training
    · Vestibular and/or occulomotor exercises
    · Strengthening and flexibility exercises
    · Other activities as appropriate

Balance is a complicated process, which is dependant on 3 sources, the inner ear, the eyes, and the extremities of the body. Information is received from all of these sources, and the brain processes it into a useful form to allow us to walk, balance, change directions, etc. In therapy, the patient may perform activities to desensitize the brain so normal function can be performed. At times, during the initial stages of therapy, the symptoms may actually increase as the brain adapts. However, this diminishes over time.
  2. gryffin

gryffin New Member

OKAY THIS IS WEIRD...I JUST POSTED MY OWN MESSAGE ASKING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS EXPERIENCED VERTIGO AS I HAVE. BEING THAT I JUST GOT DIAGNOSED WITH FM I'M NOT THAT FAMILIAR WITH THE DISEASE YET BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT I'VE HAD VERTIGO FOR APPROX. 16 YEARS NOW. I THINK THAT'S WHAT THROUGH MY DOCS OFF FROM A DIAGNOSIS OF FM BUT....THROUGH THE YEARS I'VE HAD ABOUT 6 MRIs, 2 CAT SCANS ALONG WITH ENG TESTING AT TWO VESTIBULAR LABS, ALL OF WHICH CAME BACK AS NORMAL. NORMAL CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??!! ANYWAY, PT DOES HELP A LITTLE BUT YOUR BRAIN NEVER REALLY DOES ADAPT (AT LEAST MINE DIDN'T) I'M THINKING IT'S JUST ANOTHER FUN SYMPTOM OF FM.
  3. georgie0826

georgie0826 New Member

I had this a couple of years ago. It still comes and goes, but not for long. I saw a neurologist and he put me on an antidepressant (can't remember which one). He said that was how they treated it. It went away in a few weeks.
  4. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Thanks for the quick answers....Gryfin, I saw your message about balance problems. I do know that my Rheumy has told me a lot of his fms patients experience balance, dizziness, and fall often. Bring it up with your doc - and like Georgia C said it comes and goes...

Georgia - did your doc find a cause for it? I was born crossed-eye and still have vertical & horizontal muscle imbalances. During college I suffered horrendous middle ear infections and suffer tinnitus as a result. If the balance is based on the eyes, ears, and extremeties, I think this could be my answer..

it is really weird and painful from the falls...keep me posted how you do.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006]
  5. gryffin

gryffin New Member

HAVE YOU HAD ANY TESTING AT A VESTIBULAR LAB? I LIVE IN MASS AND WENT TO THE JENKS LAB AT MASS EYE AND EAR LAST MONTH. THE TESTING IS VERY COMPREHENSIVE AND TAKES ABOUT 3 HOURS TO COMPLETE BUT THEY CAN TELL YOU WETHER YOUR PROBLEMS COME FROM YOUR EYES OR FROM YOUR EARS OR FROM YOUR BRAIN. YOU MIGHT FIND IT BENEFICIAL TO GET TESTED. SEE IF YOU CAN FIND A LAB IN YOUR AREA AND THEN ASK YOUR DOC FOR A REFERRAL.

[ advertisement ]