Vibrating exercise machine anyone tried?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JoFMS, Apr 25, 2007.

1. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone has treid one of these vibrating exercise machines that you stand on that exercises the whole body? It's supposed to help fibro and CFS patients as you don't get a build up of lactic acid and therefore feel worse afterwards.

I went on one yesterday for 10 mins and may try it twice a week. I found one at a health and beauty place where you can pay a small amount for 10 mins. It's supposed to be equivalent to 2 hours in the gym.

Before I get my hopes up I just wanted advice from others who may have tried them? They're very expensive to buy but would be easier if you had one in your home I guess to use it every day.

I currently do no exercise and find it difficult to walk for more than 5 mins so would be great if it did help!
  2. jole

jole Member

You say you used one yesterday? Did you get along okay with it....no extra pain, fatigue, etc? I know it would be horrible for me. I can use massage, but vibration sets my body off terribly for some reason, and causes severe heart palpitations besides.

Guess I am no help to you, but if you did okay yesterday I can't see that it would hurt, although I would definitely try it a few more times before investing big bucks into one. Just my opinion......good luck!
  3. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi Jole,

I got on with it ok yesterday which surprised me as usually I can't stand anything like vibrating massagers and things. But it kind of moves up and down from your left to right foot and doesn't feel as bad as vibrations do.

I did have a slight headache after but no other effects today and I usually get headcaches anyway so it may not have been that.

You can also set different programs or do one yourself. There are different speeds and I would only be able to start on 4 which is slower, couldn't cope with speed 10.

Thanks for your reply
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Are you talking about what is called the 'power plate'? They were very expensive ($10K) altho I thought they were bringing out a cheaper version (still about $5k last time I checked).

The thing that interested me was that, if it had no obvious ill effects, that it had research backing that it helped to build bone mass...

thanks,
    Victoria