Vicious Battle Over Thermostat

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudia2, May 27, 2006.

1. claudia2

claudia2 New Member

Today my Mom & I had another of our vicious battles over the thermostat.

How many times do I need to say, scream, yell, plead, cry
    that I desperately need to stay COOL!!! I've compromised & set the darn thing at 68 while I sleep during the hot afternoon (and we live in South Florida!).

We've closed off all AC vents throughout the condo except for my bedroom. So all she would have to do is open a window or crack a door if she gets cold. But what does she do??? She turns up the AC, so I get HOT and can't sleep, then can't function!!

I'm paying for half of the power bill, so she can't use that excuse anymore.

OH God in Heaven, (and I'm a believer), I wish I could live by myself. (Or somehow put a lock on that thermostat).
  2. livin4him

livin4him New Member

Can you just get a small window unit for your room? I used to have a very large house (4,000 sq. feet) and my master bedroom was half the top floor so I had to have an extra ac unit and wall heater. We built the house, so we just cut a hole in the wall under one of our windows and put the ac unit there and sealed the space around it. It worked great, I also loved the sound of the window unit when sleeping.

Take care and good luck in finding a solution.
  3. janieb

janieb New Member

PRetty new to this board myself, but for years my husband and I have had issues over the temperature in our home. If it gets below 72, I'm wearing sweats and if it gets about 78, I can't stand the heat.

He is a little hard of hearing and wants the TV loud. The loud noise drives me crazy. He went to the doctor with me and asked if loud noise did make it worse and the doctor's response was that "anything she says makes her worse, MAKES HER WORSE." That helped with the TV for awhile and he reinstalled our wood furnce for winter. That helped alot.

Even if it doesn't take care of it completely, I appreciate him effort at making me more comfortable. Now, if he would just remember to keep that TV turned down.

Sounds like you have some good suggestions about the air conditioning. I believe this temperature thing is a battle for all of us.

Good luck.

janieb
  4. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

I think "Livin" had a good idea if you can do it by just putting a cooler in your room.

I understand how you need to stay cool but it seems that older people have a tendancy to get cold very easily and they get chilled to the bone. So your mother is probably as miserable when the house is cold as you are when it is hot.

5. shelbo

shelbo New Member

my illness! :(
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

If I set the AC on 74, I'm too cold. On 75, I'm too hot. But up in here where I have my office, there is a 10" duct practically over my head and when the AC comes on it is blowing directly on me.

That may be nice for the computer, but I'm sitting here with a sweat jacket on and when the AC comes on I have to use the hood.

I like cool, but not *this* cold. lol I have been thinking of putting a diverter up there to keep it from blowing on me, but then I wonder if the computer will get too hot.

Hubby likes it warmer and I like it cooler so that is a debate all the time.

I think the window AC unit is a good idea.

This used to be a hot room in the summer and cold in the winter as it is over the 2 car garage. We had to have new AC and heating system put in and they re-did the duct work and returns and put a 10" duct up here with a return in this room. This used to be my son's room and he kept the door closed most of the time. So that is why there is a huge duct in here and a return.

I hope you can figure out something where your mother will be comfortable and you won't be so hot. I'd freeze at 68, to be frank, yet couldn't take it over 75.

In the winter we have it set on 68 during the day and 69 during the evening. Sometimes I would get so cold I would have to put it on 71. We have a programmable thermostat.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. jole

jole Member

What is wrong with me? I'm not feeling well at all unless it's between 78-85 degrees. Couldn't survive in your homes:) Yep, we're definitely different!!

Friends - Jole
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Jole,
    At night, in the winter, I have the heat going to 62. lol I like it really cold to sleep. Then at 5 AM, it goes to 68 and I'm still in bed and about to burn up then. I have been known to turn the ceiling fan on medium in the winter to stay cool.

I also wear shorts and T shirts in the house all year long, winter and summer. I hate having to wear slacks. Hate socks and shoes too. I have been known to wear shorts when it was in the 50's outside. lol

I have always hated the heat and yet I wonder if that has anything to do with me having hypothyroidism, even though my labs are good.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Heat intolerance was one of the first symptoms of this DD. I use to be at the other end of the spectrum. I was always cold. In the summer in my office, I would always wear suits with long sleeve jackets and would have a floor heater so that I would not be shivering.

In 2003 the whole world changed. I sweated and sweated and it was 24/7. It still rules my world. In the winter when the heat comes on, I begin sweating. I can not tolerate any clothing material but cotton and it must be loose. One day last winter, my DH came home, and it was 57 in the house and I was in a cotton T shirt and lounge pants. I had forgot I had turned the heat off. I freeze him in the winter.

I can no longer sleep with my husband. I have had to move to the bonus room because it has a separate heating/cooling unit (like a hotel). The temperature stays around 62 at night and 66 during the day. We keep the main area in the house very cool also. During the summer, my DH likes it cool. It use to drive me crazy.

I can understand that your Mother would be unhappy. Mine is when she visits. Older people and people on blood thinner do have the opposite problem. The lady that cleans my house calls it the igloo. Ms son who is 24 complains. I give blankets to those unhappy but it is my home.

I could go on and on but you understand about the problems with heat intolerance. I do not know how you can live like that but you probably do need to find your find your on place because I would be irritated if someone was changing my thermostat.

I wish the best for you. It is miserable. Florida is a very hot and humid area and it's the same where I live.

I want to know what is causing this problem? It is not normal and it is not all about menopause.