Vicious Cycle of Pain and Depression Article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nice2meetu, Jul 21, 2006.

1. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I get a newsletter called Emotional Health. For various reasons this newsletter is good for me.

Todays newsletter talks about which comes forst depression then pain or vice-versa. Its a good read.

Pain is depressing, and depression causes and intensifies pain. People with chronic pain have three times the average risk of developing psychiatric symptoms — usually mood or anxiety disorders — and depressed patients have three times the average risk of developing chronic pain. When low energy, insomnia, and hopelessness resulting from depression or anxiety perpetuate and aggravate physical pain, it can be impossible to tell which came first or where one leaves off and the other begins.

Pain slows recovery from depression, and depression makes pain more difficult to treat. For example, depression may cause patients to drop out of pain rehabilitation programs. So it often makes sense to treat both pain and depression; that way they are more likely to recede together.
  2. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I think there might be something to this.

I didn't write this article though, it was in my emotional health newsletter.