Vicodin and Percocet: Which is Better for Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Oct 3, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

I have used both Vicodin and Percocet. I take a lower dose of Percocet than I did with Vicodin. I just can not get a handle of which is better at managing pain.

I was just wondering what others experience are?

nyrofan
  2. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

And really don't notice too much difference between them, if used at the same dosage, of course.

I had occasion to use percocet after some recent dental work, is why I can compare the two.

Normally I use vicodin.

I worry more about the acetaminophen content than I do the opiates! If one is careful, it seems to be ok.

Plus different days bring diff. results.

I guess it's the old Catch 22 or just flip a coin, ya know?
  3. I always like vicodin if I need it. Percocet gives me a horrible headache.
  4. calishygirl

calishygirl New Member

Here are the differences:

Percocet:
    Generic Ingredients: Acetaminophen and oxycodone.
    Percocet is a combination of aspirin and oxycodone, it is used to treat moderate-to-severe pain. Oxycodone (related to codeine) is a narcotic analgesic (pain killer). Acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever, as well as an anti-inflammatory and a fever reducer. Acetaminophen increases the effects of oxycodone.

Vicodin:
    Generic ingredients: Hydrocodone bitartrate, Acetaminophen
    Other brand names: Anexsia, Co-Gesic, Hydrocet, Lorcet, Lortab, Maxidone, Norco, Zydone
    Vicodin combines a narcotic analgesic (painkiller) and non-narcotic analgesic for the relief of moderate to moderately severe pain.

Here's another different with Percocet & Vicodin... In percocent the tylenol content is 325mgs & Vicodin is 500mgs. Both have 5mgs... Percocet is oxycodone & Vicodin is 5mgs of Hydorcodone. Lorcet & Lortab are 7.5mgs of hydrocodone, and Norco is 10mgs of hydrocodone.

Because of my spinal issues, I'm past the vicodine & percocets. I wish I wasn't but I am.

Hope this helps. Vicodin makes me not so nice of a person, but Percocet helped better w/pain. I used Darvocet, with Percocet to be for breakthrough pain. That changed in 2002.

Kristen