Vicodin Dosage?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jackie65, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Jackie65

Jackie65 New Member

Hello...I have an appointment at a pain clinic coming up soon...and I want to ask anyone here what doses of Vicodin (or generic) you are on, or have found helpful. I was on a small dose (2 of the 5/500 per day )...it helped me a lot but my primary would not up it, it only worked for me for 3-4 hours, and 2 a day was not helping much on my bad days. So far it is the ONLY thing that I have found that helps my pain. I would like to have an idea of what doses are prescribed as I KNOW that my primary did not believe that I am in as much pain as I am. Thanks...Jackie
  2. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

I am on the same dosage you are on. 5mg/500mg I am supposed to take 4 a day. Yea right, I would not be able to function at work, so I only take it at night. But to be honest it does not help the pain at all. I think it may help me sleep a little bit. I wish you well. Pattie
  3. debhun

debhun New Member

I was on the same for 2-3 years and it wasn't doing any thing for me at all. My dr has put me on Tramadol now. It has helped a little. I have went down from a 8-9 to a 4-5 in pain.I went to a pain Dr but he doesn't treat this DD. So to day I have been looking for some one that does.I found one about 2 hours from me. Now I am Chicken to call my Dr and tell him. He knows that the other one couldn't help me. I think he was more upset than I was. So he was the one that put me on Tramadol said I need a rest from Vicodin.What I need is a rest from this DD.

I wish you the best and hope you fine the right meds for you.

((((HUGS))))
    Deb
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2007]
  4. GoldensRule

GoldensRule New Member

There is a higher dosage. It is Vicodin ES, 7.5/750. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 20 years ago. I have been lucky because I have always had physicians who knew that it was important to relieve the pain of FM. Although, I did have a bad experience when switching insurance networks.

I was on the vicodin ES for three years straight (1 to 5 pills/day). Your body does become dependent on it and you do need more of the medicine to achieve the same relief. I recently got off of the vicodin and it was one of the hardest things that I have ever done. I still take it occassional for severe pain but not everyday. I am currently using ultram and it does help. My physician said that if the pain was severe I could take a vicodin with the ultram. So sometimes I take the ultram plus .5 vicodin and this does really help because it takes a while for the ultram to kick in.

I also use Lidoderm patches. I put these patches on the most painful areas of my body. They can be worn up to 12 hours. The good news is that the medication does not go into your bloodstream so you don't have to worry about drug interaction. The patches honestly to help me. The most difficult part is keeping them attached to my body!

I hope that you can find a doctor who realizes that you need pain relief to function. Try to change your pain meds so that you do not become dependent on any one medication. I have also been on oxycontin which you have to take everyday regardless of your level of pain. I didn't like that.

I hope this information helps you. Remember to be very clear to your physician how painful your condition is otherwise they will not prescribe the medication that you need for relief.

Good luck!

GoldensRule
  5. Chinlover

Chinlover New Member

If you alternate meds from one day to the next then will you not become dependent? Do pain doctors prescribe 2 meds then one for day one and one for day 2?
  6. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

I take 1 and a half to 2 and a half a day. I get 60 a month of the 7.5 they are a bit stronger, And I have found they work better for me than the 500 . Ive also been on ultrem and others and nothing works as good as the 7.5 for my pain. best of luck onna
  7. cczub

cczub New Member

Been on 5/500 up to 4 a day for several months. However, I work full time and can't function on them. I have been taking them as soon as I get home.

I just recently started oxycodone as it's supposed to work for 12 hours. It worked well this weekend but I can't function for the first 6 hours...

The only medication I found that gives me some relief (not much) has been tramadol. It usually will knock the pain down 1 or 2 levels for about 4 hours... Not much relief but on the bad days it's something.
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I take 7.5/750 mg, usually twice a day, somethimes 3 times. It helps, doesn't take the pain clear away of course, but I don't think anything will. RX is for 2 a day and a 30 day supply.

I also have an RX for 5.0/500 mg, which I take if I've already taken two of the stronger during the day and feel like I still need to have help in the evening. Usually in the evening I just try to tough it out, take a muscle relaxer, and go to bed.

I always try to wait as long as possible to take the first one in the morning. That way I push the second one out until late afternoon and can get through the evening in better shape until bed time. This morning, however, I took it at 7:30. Hopefully, my time "exercising" in the pool at lunch will work out some of the pain I'm having today.

I've been on the same dose for about 3 years and have never had to increase it. It no longer makes me sleepy.

Hugz
    Greenbean

9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

lower. It is 10/325 10 is the vicodin number. I can take 1-2 every four hours with a max of five per day. It pretty much just takes the edge off the pain - nothing gets rid of it totally.
  10. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I found that Vicodin makes me very depressed. My husband who has a bad back has the same problem with it.

Celebrex is helping me somewhat. I've also been putting Thermawraps on my specific pain areas; i.e., shoulder and back and it helps too.
  11. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi jackie--
    i have found, for me, that vicodin has been SO much more effective than some other meds, even meds classified as stronger and more potent, and have seen same comment by others. 5 mg, does VERY LITTLE for me, though, i was on the 10mg 4x/day for a few years, and it is one med i can stay on at a certain level and not have to keep increasing.

But instead of 1 every 4-6 hours, i would take 1 1/2--2 in the morning and then just need one around suppertime, this worked alot better for me, but my pain doc had had me on 120mg. a day for a couple years(was concerned about level of tylenol (2grams/day) w/a 10/500 4X/day.

so he switched me to a compounding pharmacy where they make the capsules, and it was 30mg hydrocodone/30 mg dextromethorphan, to take 4X/day. This was WAY to strong for me, he said i would get used to it, so i finally stayed at 2-3 of those a day and it was such a big help, gave me a good 2-3 hours of function at the peak.

They can also use 20mg to compound, by the way. Then, he decided i was "stable, turned me back to my pcp who could NEVER get away w/ prescribing that type of med--pretty unethical, but i was lucky to find another good pain doctor.

my current pain doc is not a big fan of hydrocodone, and prefers kadian or long acting meds with just a few vicodin for breakthrough.

It's usually in your best interest at a pain clinic not to actually ask for something, but to say something like what you said here, that 2 5mg. vicodin didn't work on bad days--etc., and then try to document in a psin diary for a week or so before you go in so they can see what your situation s.

GOOD LUCK--L