VICODIN dosages?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 15, 2007.

1. I usually take 5/500 of the generic hydrocodone but the dr. increased and wrote Vicodin 7.5/500 and the pharmacist said there is no vicodin in that mg only generic? Which is what I take anyways. My husband just took it down as this was on the phone he said that. My question is what dosage do most of you take for severe pain with vicodin or hydrocodone? The 5/500 just isn't cutting it anymore!

Its the 7.5/500 that is the problem I guess.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2007]
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

vicoden, loratab, loracet, all have the common ingredient hydrocodone in it. there are several others like norco 10/325 it has 10 mgs of hydocodone and 325 of acetamenophen in it. when i was working in the emergency room before i became ill i asked a doctor about it and he told me they make them like that so a person that has a opoid tolerance can take 2 of the norco's and not get to much of the acetamenophren at once. that is what was bad on your system.
    there are a lot of different brand name's that have 5/500 7.5/750 10/750 in them but all of it is just hydrocodone and acet: .
    easy to get confused.
    good luck bill m in kc
    ps: hydrocodone is hydrocodone if it is generic o r brand name.
  3. No the pharmacy won't fill Vicodin 7.5/500 they said it doesnt' exist. So I am in pain, confused why she wrote it like that, the dr. on call says also that strength doesn't exist and she can't call any narcotic in on the phone, duh I have a script. (I didn't think she would )AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Why would she write it that way, if it doesn't exist she is pretty intelligent.

Can you take more than one 5/500 mg?

I hate to take them but when your in pain ... PAIN IS PAIN!

4. fisher1949

fisher1949 New Member

Hi-I am on perocet 5/325 which I take 4-5 times a day depending on how I feel and what I do. I was told percocet is stronger than vicodin, but am not positive.
    Have your pharmacist call and talk to the perscribing doctor and see what they had in mind. You might have to pick up a new rx but at least you will have the correct dosage.
    If you would take 1 and a half of the 5/500 that would probably equal the 7/750, but then you would probably run out before it is time.
    My husband is on vicodin for his back and his doctor calls it in. What state are you in?
    Good Luck
  5. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I went to the Dr yesterday with the same problem. I've been on Vic 5/500 for almost a year and need to take 11/2 or 2 at a time on my bad days. I've been concerned about the acetominophen and liver damage. (500mg acetomenophen=1 extra strength Tylenol)

After reading other posts here, I asked Dr for Higher Hydrocodone/lower acetomenophen,,,she looked it up in her rx med book and it is Norco as I mentioned in the title.

I dropped the rx off at pharm and havent picked it up yet, but I think that's the dosage of acet. She said I could take 1-2 of them, so that's 7.5-15 mg hydrocodone. I know I've developed a tolerance, so that's why I need more now.

She realizes I'm not abusing them and knows I'm truly uncomfortable w this dd, so she didn't have a problem prescribing it.

Your pharm probably just needs to contact your dr and change the rx over the phone...unfortunately you'll have to wait til Monday. Try taking 11/2 of the Vicodin you have, that's what I had to increase to.
  6. It just makes me mad its the weekend and I have a problem with a script. grrrrr. It's bad enough we deal with pain, then have to worry about our scripts being written right. If it wasn't for my tens machine on my back which only takes the edge off, I would go nuts I swear from the pain.
  7. ziasss

ziasss New Member

I've taken 5/500 generic hydrocodone for about a year. At first I took just one at a time, then they didn't work too well, my Dr. told me to just take 2 at a time. I didn't have any problem taking them that way, I still do!

So, try that over the weekend, til you can get in there and get the dosage thing worked out. Its too long to be in pain...

Nancy
  8. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

No the pharmacy won't fill Vicodin 7.5/500 they said it doesnt' exist. So I am in pain, confused why she wrote it like that, the dr. on call says also that strength doesn't exist and she can't call any narcotic in on the phone, duh I have a script. (I didn't think she would )AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Why would she write it that way, if it doesn't exist she is pretty intelligent.

Can you take more than one 5/500 mg?

I hate to take them but when your in pain ... PAIN IS PAIN!

OK I have no idea why you are being told that it doesn't exist, gee I have gotten month after month of it in that exact dosage,7.5/500...... now I am up to the 10/325.........actually one 5/500 does nothing for me, even back when I took that dosage, I had to take 2 for any relief what so ever. still didn't work good, I had up the dose real soon. I sure dont know what the problem is with them saying it does not exist, (It sure does) good luck!
  9. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

I take vicodin es. That is 7.5/750. Maybe that is the problem with the prescription. I don't know if there is a vicodin that is 7.5/500 or not.

As others have said, I would take 1 1/2 of the 5/500 to get thru to Monday and check with your doctor to get the script corrected.

Hope this is helpful. Take care.

Theresa
  10. Theresa....YES finally after two different scripts I hope the dr. got it right this time. I have to mail it in, it is 7.5/750 mg. Of course she didn't give me a three mo. supply, 90 pills which I am grateful for believe me. The other one she gave me 5 refills, this one only 1. The gal got the msg. wrong and rewrote it for 5/500 the same as original and I needed stronger. Man did she jump on me when I kindly, told her that was the reason I needed more strength. Then she says "you take one a day", ONE! I have been taking 3.

Now I am worried the extra mg will be too strong for me. worry, worry.

By the way Theresa 11 grandkids! WOW that is great, do they all live near you? I have four and thats a handful sometimes.