vicodin "hostage"

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by maeve10, May 11, 2010.

1. maeve10

maeve10 New Member

I'm 76 and in terrific pain in my shoulder and arm. Yesterday at 3PM I took one 5-500 vicodin pill. This morning at 7:15AM I took another because I hadn't slept all night with the pain. Is it OK to take two a day for a couple of days? I'm so afraid of getting "hooked" on it. Thanks.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, I want to say how sorry I am that you are in such terrific pain. Did you hurt your shoulder and arm somehow? .... or is it something like arthritis hurting?

I am not a medical doctor, so I can't really tell you that "yes, it is OK," but I will tell you what I have taken on my own personal experience.

I have been prescribed Lortab 10-500 for my severe back pain. Lortab and Vicodin are pretty much the same thing. I don't know if you know or not, the the "500" of your Vicodin is 500 mg of Tylenol that is in that pill. The "5" is the amount of hydrocodone that is in the pill. So, what I am taking has twice the amount of hydrocodone that is in what your are taking. My doctor has told me that I can safely take 3 a day. So, if you followed those rules, yes, you can safely take 2 a day for a couple of days.

Please don't worry about getting "hooked" on Vicodin by taking only 2 a day for a couple of days. You can take 2 a day for 2 or 3 weeks before you would have to worry. Even then, you would not be hooked on them, but your doctor may want to to cut down gradually ... like going to 1 a day for a few days, then 1/2 tablet a day for a few days before quitting altogether.

If you really want to know a professional's opinion, you could always call your local pharmacist, and he would tell you for sure, or you could call your doctor. However, you doctor probably put how many he wanted you to take on your instructions on the prescription pill bottle.

To ease your mind, I looked up the dosing instructions on the internet .... here they are:

* Vicodin Dose for Pain

For regular-strength Vicodin (5/500 mg), the recommended dose is one to two tablets every four to six hours as needed, but not to exceed eight tablets in 24 hours.

The maximum recommended Vicodin dosages are designed to limit the total dose of acetaminophen (Tylenol) to 4 grams (4000 mg) a day or less. Higher doses of acetaminophen (Tylenol) increase the risk of serious liver damage.

Therefore, make sure to watch for any other sources of acetaminophen, including other prescription pain relievers and many over-the-counter products, such as Tylenol®. To be safe, all other acetaminophen products should be avoided while you are taking Vicodin, unless you are extremely careful to limit your total acetaminophen use (from all sources added together) to 4 grams per day. The acetaminophen content of Vicodin is 500 mg per regular-strength Vicodin tablet, 750 mg per Vicodin ES tablet, and 660 mg per Vicodin HP tablet.

You should not take Vicodin around the clock at the minimum interval between doses. For instance, even though it is okay to take a dose four hours after a previous dose, you should not take the maximum dose of Vicodin dose four hours around the clock, as this would exceed the recommended maximum daily dose.

*End*

I hope your shoulder and arm get to feeling better. Did your doctor tell you to put a heating pad, or ice packs, on it? Heat or ice, or rotating both, may help, too. Your pharmacist, or doctor's office, may be able to help answer that question, too.

Hugs,
    JLH
  3. maeve10

maeve10 New Member

First of all, I appreciate the hug. I have a prescription for Vicodin for severe arthritis in my lower back and hip. It is for 15 pills, and I manage to make it last about 6 months because I only take one when I'm in agony. My daughter screams at me because she says I should take a pill more often if I'm in any pain. My doctor is in awe of me, but agrees with my daughter. This is the first time I've had the shoulder, arm "thing". I didn't bother the doctor about it. I guess it's either bursitis or arthritis in another place. I put a heating pad across my shoulder and down my arm (the hand hurts, too) and it seemed to help. All together, over three days, I've taken 4 pills, and the last two were 1/2 pill each time. The pain is about gone today. Thank God. I figure If I can get up in the morning, get dressed, and walk around and take care of my dog, I've "got it made". Thanks again for the advice and information. Take care.
    Nancy
  4. maeve10

maeve10 New Member

You seem to agree with me on taking unnecessary pills. I'm extremely careful about it. Unfortunately, I had open heart surgery a while ago and now I can't take the ordinary pain pills everyone else can (Advil, etc.) My heart pills preclude my taking many other kinds of meds. I'm stuck with Vicodin. I've adjusted myself to just taking it in extreme cases of pain. You're right about the constipation. Even with the minute doses I take, I noticed that problem right away. Take care. Nancy
  5. racer74

racer74 New Member

Dear Mr. Maeve/

I can put your worries to ease. I am on Vicodin since 1993, when I got messed up by a doctor. My story is too long to write, but I ended up with 30 surgeries. Go to the pain page and you can see: www.TIPNA.org No doctor here in the states could help me, I had to go to France, you will read it. (Prof. Robert) So, you see, now we have 2010 and I am still on Vicodin, because.....

When I had the brutal pains (couln't sit), I used to take 4-6 per day. Then I worked my dosis down to maybe 2 per day. I was so proud and hoped that I can reduce it to zero. But that did not happen. I had a severe Car accident on the 11/11/2008, and here I went up again with Vicodin. Every doc I had talked to and the Pharmacists told me: When one uses Vicodin for real pain, don't label yourself an addict. There is a difference using them for pain or for "feeling great"....I would not worry in your case, 2 Vicodin is nothing, especially when you use them for pain. As mentioned, I had been on 4-6 per day for years, got finally successfully operated in France, and worked my way down until the car accident. Now I am back to 2-3 daily.

I would not worry. Therefore the pills are there, when one has brutal pains!

Get well,
    Peggy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2010]
  6. racer74

racer74 New Member

Dear Mr. Maeve/

I can put your worries to ease. I am on Vicodin since 1993, when I got messed up by a doctor. My story is too long to write, but I ended up with 30 surgeries. Go to the pain page and you can see: www.TIPNA.org No doctor here in the states could help me, I had to go to France, you will read it. (Prof. Robert) So, you see, now we have 2010 and I am still on Vicodin, because.....

When I had the brutal pains (couln't sit), I used to take 4-6 per day. Then I worked my dosis down to maybe 2 per day. I was so proud and hoped that I can reduce it to zero. But that did not happen. I had a severe Car accident on the 11/11/2008, and here I went up again with Vicodin. Every doc I had talked to and the Pharmacists told me: When one uses Vicodin for real pain, don't label yourself an addict. There is a difference using them for pain or for "feeling great"....I would not worry in your case, 2 Vicodin is nothing, especially when you use them for pain. As mentioned, I had been on 4-6 per day for years, got finally successfully operated in France, and worked my way down until the car accident. Now I am back to 2-3 daily.

I would not worry. Therefore the pills are there, when one has brutal pains!

Get well,
    Peggy