Vicodin Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Sep 21, 2006.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have been taking Vicodin the past 3 weeks once or twice a day. It really makes me feel so much better, happier and able to get up and do things.

I am of course worried about the addictive quality of this med, I have had trouble getting hooked on benzos and stimulants in the past, not super bad, but enough to realize it.

Does anyone know how much of the Vicodin daily would be safe? I know I need to ask the dr or pharmacist, but I just thought I'd see who knows anything about it here.

I know others here take it for pain....what are your experiences w it? Thanks.
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

bumpity bump
  3. Carle55

Carle55 New Member

I have had two knee surgerys and took a lot of vicodin that year. I also took it before I had the surgerys. I never felt addicted. If you have a so called addictive personalitiy I would be very carefull. Otherwise if you are in pain I wouldn't worry about it. Ask your friends to monitor your mental state and tell you if they think there is a problem. Remember even vicodin usually has a lot of Tynol in it. Of course this is JMHO....Carli
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have only allowed myself a max of 2 per day. I've been having a bad flare, so it's really helped. I can't imagine it could be bad, cuz they're a low dosage and it's helping....I just was wondering.
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I take 2 tabs 3 times a day.I am not addicted to it.When my script is up if I am not too bad I don't fill it right away.I can go a week or two without it.

If you are using it for pain you should not get addicted.Its people who use it for the so called high that do.

The strange part is I never feel high or groggy on it.I also take oxcycodone for my pain.Same with that it never makes me high or groggy.

You say you only take it once or twice a day.To me that says you only take it when you need it.

I would worry if theres a day that you don't take it and
    get in a panic about it.Also if you run out and waiting
    for the refill if you get in a panic cause you don't have any that day than I would say yes you have a problem.

To me you sound like your not addicted.When in doubt check with your doctor.He/she might take you off of it if they are concerned.

Please don't make yourself sicker with worry.

Hugs
    Sue

6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I had a couple of people tell me how bad it is cuz it's addictive....I plan on keeping a close eye on how I take it etc. I have vicodin 5/500, so I think it's one of the lowest dosages.
    Thanks for your input, you're right...I don't need to worry myself about it. That's one of the things I'm so good at tho...stupid worrying!
  7. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

If your asking what the max dose is. I was told by my doc and the pharmacist that the maxium dose is 8 regular Vicodan a day. (this is what I had been taking for years. Two tablets 4 times a day) I was recently switched to Vicodan ES 1 tablet 4 times a day. But was told I could go as high as 5 ES a day if the need ever arises. I am trying to make due with the 4 a day though while I try the Fentynal pain patch they have also put me on.
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

It sounds to me like you have the situation well under control. You freely acknowledge that you did have a problem in the past and you are keeping an eye on yourself now.

I am sure you have told your physician this as well. I wouldn't worry very much as long as you continue on this same path and I am sure you will.

I took Vicodin several years ago for daily Migraine headaches I could not have worked without it.

My prescription was up 4 a day--some days I took all of them and some days I didn't. I took them daily for well over two years. I quit taking them in one day with no withdrawal symptoms of any kind and had no problems.

I also believe people who are in pain and take medication as directed do not get addicted but that is just my opinion and that and a buck-o-five will buy you a cup of coffee :)

Best of luck to you and I am sure you will do great,

Karen :)

9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Thank you....I do feel better about it now that I've heard from people here. I always immediately think the worst of myself, it's a hard habit to break.

I have been so desperate to find something to help me feel better and the vicodin is really helping, even just once or twice a day. At least it gives me a few hours to feel somewhat normal for a change.

Good to hear from you.

Karla
  10. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Hi....I feel the same as you do about taking vicodin. I am always so afraid of getting addicted to it. I am glad to read all the replies here. It makes me feel much better about taking it. You are right, when a flare is bad, it is the only thing that takes the edge off. I am just coming out of a three day flare and I only take it when I am in more pain than I can stand. Thanks to everyone for all the input. Fieldmouse
  11. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Hermit,

It is said that only about 3% or less of chronic pain sufferers that take narcotics become addicted. Because we take them for pain...not for a high.

As far as how much you can take goes...my Rheumy told me that it is not the hydrocodone that matters it is the amount of acetominophen. He told me you could take up to 4,000 mg a day, which would be 8 of your Vicodin. I have heard some say 3,000 but the majority say 4,000 mg.

I currently take 10/325 mg of Vicodin. You can ask for less acetominophen. It works great for me. I take one every 6 hours...so I take it 4 times a day. I have no problems with it at all. It is great.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  12. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

My SIL takes vicodin everyday for her fibro pain. At first it worked great and she had a few hours each day where she felt herself again. But now after a few years, the effect lasts for only one half to one hour. So the good effects can wear off if you plan to use it for a long period. Then you would have to use more which it doesnt sound like you want to do.

13. dononagin

dononagin New Member

truly, there is a difference to being addicted to a pain med and dependent on a pain med to contol your pain.

On the other hand, My DH has been taking them for over a year, and he is always running out, they bumped him up to 750's and he is still running out, so I guess you build up a tolerance after a while.

If you are worried about Vicodin you may want to ask the doctor about Tramadol (ultram) for pain as the doctor told Joe they are less addictive.

Hugs!
  14. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

My doctor said up to 6 a day of the Vicodin. 2 pills, 3x a day is the upper dose. I've been on that for awhile, coupled with Ultracet, and its been fairly helpful in controlling my pain. I haven't seen any addictive problems. And just so you know, people with chronic pain are highly UNlikely to get addicted to pain meds, since they pain they are treating is real. Most people with pain are just looking for it to go away, not looking to get a 'high'.

So if it is working for you, discuss it with your doctor. But remember its always good to take the LEAST amount of meds you can to get by. Good not to build up your tolerance any faster then you have to.
  15. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I do have tramadol, but it knocks me out and I get kind of shaky on it. I thought for sure the vicodin would put me in a coma, but it doesn't. I take the tramadol at night, it helps me sleep better.

Thanx again to all of you, such great information. I really appreciate it:)
  16. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Joe does the same with Tramadol.. takes two.. goes to sleep!

If I take one at bed-time, I can't sleep!

I'm the same way with Vicodin. It doesn't effect me at all as far as getting loopy or anything, just helps a bit with the pain.
    Hugs!
  17. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

prescribe the vicodin and others and some will not, I am having trouble with pain and my mother is in worse condition and our doctor now will only prescribe Tramadol which is like ibuprfen to me....doesn't help much. She says that vicodin is too addictive, we have to find another doctor who is a little more sensative to chronic pain!

Butterfly83, I want to know your doctor, wholy moley, I'm glad that you can get the help that you need.

I could become addicted quickly but I know better than to take too many. I hate that pain meds are the only things that make me feel good and happy, and I can actually get out do something when I have them....

I hate this DD...

Blessings,
    Kelly
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2006]
  18. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I went to see my reg. MD- the pain gets so bad(worse is in my neck and shoulders) feels like my head can't stay up- I take flexeril but that only helps with spasms- I told her I don't want something where I am like a zombie but IB does not touch this pain- she wrote a script for Vicodin- so I gotta see where it is the least expensive- I only take meds as needed except for Zoloft,Xanax and my BP meds.

Idon't think you should worry like everyone said- you are in pain and need this.
  19. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I've been on lortab 10/500 for jeez I think about 5 years at four a day. Some times less a day sometimes one more a day, depends on how bad I am. No time have I ever had a buzz from them. Times I have felt better and not taken them for days in row with no problem at all. Never felt a need to HAVE to have them I guess is what I am trying to say. BUT I do count on them to help cut down on my pain level. Never could figure out what the heck the buzz is everyone is talking about on the news.... I must be old!

Hug.
    Tona
  20. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

not to take the Vicodin unless I really needed it. She only gave me 1 refill of 30 pills (which I picked up today) We'll see what she says when I ask for another refill next time. By then I may not be getting as good results w it....that tends to happen after I get a tolerance built up, but maybe not with this. See, I always think the worst! Bad hermit!!:)