Vicodin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gretchen12, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Does anyone take vicodin for pain and, if so, how much.
    I am having a terrible relapse and Vicodin is the only med that relieves the pain.
    Gretchen
  2. leubie

leubie New Member

Gretchen, I do not take this med now-but i use to, they started giving me headaches!!!! Have you taken these before???? If so you can judge the amount from that--otherwise start w/ 1 or 2 and increase as needed- just give them time to work(30 mins) before you take more or another med. Sorry I am not much help-but I hope you start feeling better!!!!!LOVE TO ALL----LAURA
  3. yuckie

yuckie New Member

I take it for breakthrough pain. My tablets are 5mg and I take 1 every 4-6 hours as needed. However, we are all different and you should always take them according to your doctors instructions. You could also call the pharmacy where you got them and they can help you with the dosage instructions. Good luck.
  4. Retethetreat

Retethetreat New Member

My daughters Dr put her on Norco for FM pain she was taking vicodin but it is hard on the lver
  5. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

Thank you all so much for the information you gave me on Vicodin. I know it is bad on the liver, but I don't know what else to do for the pain when it is so bad. I am taking NAC to try to counteract the bad effects of the drug.
    Gretchen
  6. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I also take vicodin. My rheumy prescrbed it- Three times a day. If I really get to hurting I take 1 AND 1/2 AT ONE TIME. I don't know what I would do with out it.
    The Dr. does lab work on me every four months to keep
    a check on my liver and kidneys. I take a muscle relaxer
    at night along with Ambien but, some times during the day I will take a 1/2 muscle relaxer along with the vicodin.I am so sorry that we all have to deal with this
    pain every day. Some of us all alone because our H
    doesn't understand or really does not care.
    Thanks for reading.
    ((((((((( cathugs))))))))) Ruth
    p.s. my vicodin is 500 mg.
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Vicodin 5/500mg. I can take it up to 4 times a day but I usually only take one and some days I can get by without any.
  8. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

HELLO EVERY ONE SONDRA HERE

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
  9. cbella

cbella New Member

what is NAC? I take vicodin at night when my legs hurt me so bad that they keep me up all night. cb
  10. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

NAC stands for N-Acetyl Cysteine which is supposed to protect the liver from acetaminophen. It is also a necessary component for the formation of glutathione.
    I bought mine at Whole Foods. Also, some large pharmacies should stock it.
    Hope this helps.
    Gretchen
  11. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i have had prob' s too with getting refills...my doc and i signed this contract and he put it in my file...we agreed on the monthly amount of pills...when he is out of town, other docs can check it and refill without fear....

another idea i have tried is to start tracing the doc down a week before you need a refill....or even more...or call clinic to keep tabs on when he is going to be in town for appointments (or refills) my doc will write the rx and date it for when the montly amount is supposed to be gone, then i give it to drugstore and they keep it on file ..we have worked on this problem together for a few years....how long have you known your doc? that does help the situation....
  12. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I have been taking Vicodin since 1997.For the first 6 yrs. I was taking 2 a day.5/500mgs. A yr. ago,I told the Pain Dr. that 2 was not cutting it.I also mentioned I wanted less acetaminophen,that drug is useless for me.Nope,but she did let me take 3 a day.Well,that never did help.Now it is a yr. later. But I also do not have the same dr.,she moved away.So now I will be seeing a new Pain Dr. on 4/28.
    One good thing,I just had my blood tested again and my liver and such or doing great.My cholsterol is not.
  13. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

I take Lortab 10/500. It is the same as Vicodin just a different brand name. Hydrocodone is the generic. I usually split mine in half which would be 5/250, just to get by. I do not hesitate to take a whole when necessary. Hope this helps
  14. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Hi Gretchen:

I take 1 tablet 5/500 3 times a day if needed. My doctor also gave me a prescription for 10/500, that gives you more pain control with less Tylenol.

I also went on Oxycontin a while back because my doc thought it would be more pain control and easier on the liver. I adjusted the dose after seeing what worked. I now take 40 mg twice a day and Vicoden for breakthrough.

What I have found is sometimes I have to distinguish if I am have more pain or more muscle pain. If it's muscles then I use the Soma (muscle relaxer or Valium) and don't need the pain med. It's just not always easy to tell what's really thepain cause.

Hope this helps.

M J
  15. mary124

mary124 New Member

Yes I take it, 7.5/500, I can take it up to 3 times a day. There are days that I don't take any. Been taking it for about 2 years now.