Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kittycamcj, Aug 7, 2008.

1. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

does anyone take vicodin for relief of pain?
  2. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I like it for pain relief, it helps me quite a bit, I have the 750mg and the 500mg, I try to take the lower dose one unless I am in alot of pain. I have been on it for about 10years believe it or not, I have just been really careful to keep from being addicted to it. My dr has also fixed it where if the 750mg isn't helping, I can take 2 of the 500mg pills. Sometimes I am hurting so bad at night I do that.
    Are you thinking of trying it or are you already on it? You do have to be really careful because it is very addictive. Good luck to you Carol, Gentle Hugs Pamela
  3. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

thanks for the info: pamela.
    i take 750mgs in the afternoon and sometimes one at night. i was just taking the lyrica, but i was having so many side effects, so i only take 75mgs of the lyrica in the morning. i also take trazodone and zoloft.
  4. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I've been on it for years and its the only thing that takes the edge off for me. I've been on it since 1999 for my back pain(at the time that was my only problem), then my doctor kept me on it and raised my dosage for the FM, I'm also on other things but I really want to get away from the tylenol in it. So, I need to make an appointment. Just make sure you don't go over 8 a day because of the liver. I'm at eight now and like I said it only takes the edge off. Percocet doesn't work, morphine didn't either. But thats just me. Take care!
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

but only for really bad days. I normally take Tramadol but there are days I need the vicodin. It also gives me alittle more energy too.

I think the key is not to use it often.

6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been on vicodin for a few years now. It helps with the pain. I have not become addicted or dependent on it. The only side effect I get is that sometimes I get itchy.
  7. I have severe back pain but noticed when I took it I could get through the day . It takes the edge off and gives me a tad of energy. I am terrified my family dr. won't give it to me . I only take usually two a day, three at the most. Knock wood.
    It does't take all the pain away believe me, but makes it half bearable.
  8. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

yep. does not impress me much, sadly. I am currently on generic 7.5/500, 4 a day. I don't think I'd have any trouble going off it, to be honest. probably the fact I am on so much other cr*p helps.
    watch how much you take due to liver; the 500 is how much tylenol is in there ~ my NP said no more than 2500mg for pain mgmnt so balance that with your other meds....count your tylenol! my pain dr told me there are at least 660 meds that contain tylenol! so be careful how much you take of anything and read ingredients to avoid liver damage. I take aleve at times too; like I told the NP, trying to balance between stomach damage and liver damage. are we having fun yet?
  9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I am prescribed six 10/325 per day. However, since I've been on 450 mgs Lyrica and praying a lot, I've been able to only take 1-3 per day lately. I have to throw in the praying a lot because I think it's a combination of both and I want to give God credit too.
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have 5/500 (5mg of vicodin, 500 of tylenol). I get 30 a month with dosing to be 1/2 twice a day as needed. It works well for me if I take it with 800mg of advil, which my doc said was okay. I went recently to have it upped and he put me back on Elavil instead, which is for neuropathic pain (it works too) and told me that if I found I was needing my script filled sooner than 30 days he would authorize it, just to give them a couple of days to do it. He does not give refills. They have to call it in every time because he wants to monitor my usage to make sure I do not get addicted.

I have been on it for over 2 years and have not had to go up. I still maintain that people who do not have addictive personalities do not get addicted. It is either that or as some others have said here that you don't get addicted if you take it for pain only and not to "get high". I smoked for 20 years and quit cold turkey and had no withdrawal, which is why I say I do not have an addictive personality.

He has been good to his word on the refills to because last month I was about 2 weeks early and he filled it no questions asked. This month I made it almost 30 days.
  11. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I have taken it for years. Now I am on Oxycontin 60 mg twice a day, and use the Vicoden for breaktrhough pain.
  12. JulieL

JulieL New Member

I have been taking hydrocodone (same as vicodon)for about 10 years now. The doctor wanted to give me something stronger like oxycontin but I declined. Don't get me wrong...I certainly do not think taking oxycontin for pain is wrong but I believe it is my fear of drugs.....a little thing I inherited from my mother who won't even take an aspirin without calling the pharmacist.

My dosage is 325 mg 3 x times a day. I try to cut them in half and use them sparingly.

They really don't help like when I first took them but at least they take the edge off.

I plan on maybe seeing a pain doctor to see if I can get botox injections in the neck and back area where the pain is the worst. Only problem with that is I hear it cost quite a bit of money.

[This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  13. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

After a hip surgery I noticed Vicodin helped me sleep at night, otherwise I'd wake up in strange, painful positions.

So I kept taking it for sleep after my recovery.

Then one day it started making me "wired", so I was all jittery and definitely could not sleep. I got the same reaction with Celebrex, Naprosyn, Mobic and related meds. Even though I used to take these with no problems for a long time.

I cut off the Vicodin cold turkey but never noticed any repercussions.

Mentioned it to my doc who said this happens frequently with Vicodin. I guess you get so much in your system after while, it just turns on you.

14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've taken forms of Vicodin for a couple of years. It is somewhat normal for your body to become dependent (not necessarily addicted - two different things). Also there is much research and documentation that people with chronic pain are less likely to become addicted.
    The toxic dose of Tylenol for your liver is 4000 mgs/day. There are many different forms of Vicodin that have less Tylenol in them than others. Norco is one. You can get 10/325 for example. I wanted to get off all Tylenol, so I went to a form of Oxycodone that has no Tylenol in it at all.
    The rotten thing about pain meds is that you can become tolerant and have to raise your dose. That has happened to me.
    To the person who mentioned you get jittery (sorry can't remember the poster) were you taking vicodin or vicoprofin? I only ask because all of the other meds you mentioned all have ibuprofen in them or are aspirin based. I can't take any (Celebrex, Naprosyn or Mobic) because of my aspirin allergy.

To those that can get pain relief from OTC meds, you are so fortunate! I was able to do that for twenty years than had to get better relief. Even the what I would call Oxycodone doesn't take all of my pain away, I don't think there is anything that does.