Victoria are you leaving the country??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

What is this I have read about you moving to Mexico? I haven't been here alot lately but saw you mention it on someone else's thread. So what is up? Carla
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Just ready to sign off and go to bed, but saw your post.

YES.... we are planning on leaving 7/10 or 7/11...... moving for starters to Patzcuaro, Michoacan (nearest big city is Morelia). Very nice weather year-round - pretty much spring-time temps!! as elevation is 7100 ft.

Best thing is that we have land around us for our 4 dogs. I don't know how long we'll be there, as we're renting it til it sells, but it will give us a base from which to be able to explore to see where we do want to end up. I'll post a link when we get there, it's an absolutely beautiful house, sort of a Thomas Kinkaid cottage Mexican style.

We have our house rented for Aug 1 to a group of guys who made the documentary 'Darius Goes West', about a local guy here who has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - the film won 25 awards. They're going to make a followup now that Darius is 19, and use our place as a base from which to work. Who knows, I might get to see some background shots of our house/land eventually memorialized...

At least this lets us wait out this horrible RE market as this area is slated to boom in about 3 years, sort of a can't miss actually due to all what's going on here.

SO I'm excited, finally most of the house is packed up, having some painting done at my husband's insistence while still here but the fumes -- ugh -- I hide in my bedroom as I have a separate air system in it.

The only thing I'm NOT looking forward to is the drive there........... 4 dogs in 2 cars with 3 people, and we'll be packed to the gills with clothes, computer, and supplements......... and some art supplies!

all the best,

3. ckball

ckball New Member

That is so cool- But I don't envy that drive, lol. How did all of this come about? I have heard about the documentary and that is so cool that they are using your house to work.

Wow I have missed alot lately- I bet you will find lots of inspiration for new paintings. You must send us pics and links.

Good luck on this new adventure in your life, it couldn't happen to a nicer person, I do hope your son is doing better-Carla
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Victoria, that's fantastic!

I'm going to go google your new 'hood :~)

I would absolutely love to move somewhere with springlike temp.s and a major change of scene and culture. What a boost to the spirits.

I do hope the drive is not too taxing and I hope that all else is just the right amount uplifting!

I can hardly wait 'til you get hooked up down there and we start living vicariously :~)

Peace out,
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I'll be sure to post some pics as time goes by of the area.......

I've never been to this particular area yet, but my DH did some scouting earlier this year. I am looking forward to it, once I get to rest up!

all the best,

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I remember you had talked about this before and it piqued my interest.

Are you on disability? Can you get it from another country?

Are there good medical facilities around?

You are brave to do this but it sounds like it could work.

Sounds like you will still be able to post here!!

Do you speak spainish, LOL!!

I have always thought a community for people with chronic illnesses either as a retreat (inexpensive of course) or to live would be a great idea.

Maybe you could start a hotel for us, LOL!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2008]
  7. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Good luck with your new adventure.

I saw the guys who did the documentary on was very inspiring. Probably, a video worth renting.

Keep us posted...sounds lovely!
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

nope I don't speak spanish but hoping to become semi-fluent (an oxymoron I think!)

There's no problem with getting SSD btw and living elsewhere, same as with SS retirement happily. I had a friend here who thought it was a great idea when I explained it all, and she moved there for a while on less than $800/mo.

Also if you search the research library here, you'll see Doug Bowers' article about why he and his wife moved to Guanajuato (here they couldn't make it even tho he got SSD and wife worked fulltime, there she doesn't have to work and they could get by on his SSD). He has since written a book.

Some things have changed; used to be you could get a 180 day visa, step across the border and come back again for 180 days, but now that is only 180 days/year. You now need to prove you have enough income to live there and get the proper permanent visa to stay longer - currently I think it's about $1700/mo/couple or $1,100 for one person. If you buy a condo or home tho, that requirement is cut by 1/2. I've read a blog by 2 friends who retired near San Miguel de Allende (very pricey) just on SS retirement income, so it's do-able.

The larger cities have excellent medical care. My friend that I mentioned above took all her records with her, she had no problems with getting proper pain meds etc from the doctor she saw regularly.

I've been told that one can also buy into the national health plan there, it's about $400/year... and meds of course are way cheaper.

We just figure it's going to be an interesting adventure even if we decide not to stay...

but TG for the internet!

[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2008]
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks Grammy, our dogs are the most neurotic we've ever had, but 2 in particular had 'bad puppyhoods', sigh; they trust us but scared to death of everything which makes it hard, so I'm going to take a look at that site!

GeorgiaC - wow, that's interesting you're thinking about that. Where is the property located? Wouldn't that be funny if we ended up 'neighbors' eventually! I have no idea if we'll stay in the mountains or end up on the coast (not too sure about the summers in particular!)...... but I admit I don't like being cold either.

I'm like Goldilocks, I want it 'just right' haha.

For anyone who's getting intrigued with the idea, btw, here's the url for that article I talked about above - in ProHealth's library written by a Fibromite, Doug Bowers, who moved to Mexico:

If I remember right, I think overall he's done better there (higher elevation & better weather year-round), altho he's still had some ups and downs. He's now also written a book about living/retiring there etc... available on Amazon. Nope, I don't know them, so this is not an ad lol...

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I am experiencing delicious anticipation on your behalf!

Our provincial disability in Canada does not allow one to live outside the province for more than 3 mo, unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd be drugging and packing my little dog (another who endured a bad puppyhood :) and setting off for Mexico, myself.

Very much looking forward to those pic.s!