Victoria===thoughts on a new fridge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zenouchy, Oct 30, 2007.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Victoria,

Hope all is well with you. I still can't get over the fact that your fridge is 24 years old---that is so cool! I posted a response in my washer/dryer post and mentioned some stuff about your fridge and then talked a little bit about warranties.

Just wanted to pass along something that I learned based on recent experience. Hope it's helpful. If not, just discard.

It's such a conundrum re: whether or not to get an extended warranty with an appliance. Usually, experts say it's a waste of money and a rip off. My hubby and I had the total OPPOSITE experience with our extended refrigerator warranty and are really glad we got it.

We got a new Whirlpool side by side refrigerator/freezer about 15 months ago, and I have to tell you that sadly they just aren't made like they used to be. (Your old Whirlpool fridge is probably better made than the newer models!) The repair guy told me that he sees things break down in new refrigerators all the time, even in the "good brands", which of course Whirlpool is supposedly known to be!

We paid $99 for a 4-year warranty at the time we purchased the fridge and debated if we should have done so. We wondered if we were just throwing away $99. Now we're so glad we did because with one repair, It will more than pay for itself.

We had a part break a few weeks ago in our refrigerator (after the one year warranty was up), and with the spoiled food (we got our fridge at Lowes, and as part of the warranty they'll reimburse for food up to $200) and the cost of the repair, the total cost was about $350. (Obviously, we're at a $250 advantage now.)

If you get the warranty, but it at the time you purchase the fridge because that's when it's the cheapest. If you buy the warranty after the fact, they'll charge you more. (We've been mailed info about extended warranties, and the price for extended warranties is at least double what we paid.)

Hope this is useful!

All the best, Erika

[This Message was Edited on 10/30/2007]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

That sounds like a good warranty actually, one repair and it would pay for itself generally speaking... we're in the country and even our appliance repair guy charges $40 to just come out (unless he's gone up, hasn't been out here in 2 years now).

I think we just got lucky seriously... I remember my parents' fridge from the 1950s lasting about 22 years, I never expected to get 24 from ours as everyone said even then that "they don't make 'em like they used to" & "planned obsolescence", etc.

It may be a toss-up tho as to where we buy one... ours will have to fit rather small dimensions. We had a side by side but for a small space, about 19 cu. ft., but they don't make them anymore in that style... it's hard to find one in that range of 19-20 cu ft, 18 is too small.

&... I don't really like top freezer style refrig. styles anyway, I did locate 2 that were bottom slide out drawer style freezer; but not sure what brand, was just going by style and then going to do research.. but would be special order wherever I COULD order them even.

Scares me, cuz I just got done special ordering blinds and then had to return them cuz they didn't do what Lowes assured me they were supposed to do (long story). . . at least I got a full refund minus labor, which was fair.

I can see it now, all too clearly, if I had problems with the fridge, the next time I walked in they'd see me coming and be motioning to each other in warning, lolol...

3. findmind

findmind New Member

I got a Whirlpool fridge from sears..or Kenmore...

What I love is that the freezer is on the bottom and very large!

No more stooping over a zillion times a day to get something out of it: the top is very large and much of it at waist to eye level.

I love it! And no repair prooblems in 6 years.

4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I have always purchased the freezer on the bottom refrigerators. I absolutely love them. It works great with my mobility scooter too.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Which ones do you guys have?

It SEEMS to me that the drawer style bottom freezer would be more convenient, that we wouldn't have to be on our knees looking into the back of the freezer for what we've forgotten about???

Any opinions on this???

6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My MIL has the freezer on the bottom with the pull out drawer. She likes that style a lot because she can see all the food on top in the fridge real easily and she also has a separate deep freeze in her garage so the freezer part isn't as important to her. I know that's not exactly your question though.

The thing I didn't like about the drawer freezers is that they felt REALLY heavy to me when I tried pulling them out at the store (and I'm fairly strong too)---and that's without all the food in it! Perhaps others might feel differently though. It looked like the food would be organized well in the drawer however.

You know that measurements aren't always a simple task when Lowes offers the service of someone coming to your house to do it for you! It's sounds like Lowes was in the wrong with your special order. Hope it works out with the new fridge.

All the best, Erika