VIDEO: The Surprising Connection Between Lyme Disease & FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ProHealth, May 14, 2013.

1. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

In this video, naturopathic physician, Dr. Dino Prato, discusses the many similarities between fibromyalgia and Lyme disease complex. He explains why Lyme disease is so difficult to diagnose accurately and how it is often misdiagnosed as one or more of about 300 different illnesses, including fibromyalgia.

Nanie46 likes this.
  2. bct

bct Active Member

I wonder why CFS is not mentioned here? Cannot it also be initiated by Lyme disease? Otherwise I like this presentation very much. Thank you, Prohealth.
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi bct,
    Yes, people with CFS/ME can also have Lyme disease (and other tick-borne infections such as Babesia, Bartonella and Ehrlichia) as the cause.
  4. vickiw

vickiw Member

Hi Barry,

If you can, watch the movie "Under Our Skin." I watched it for free on Hulu dot com.

I was diagnosed with ME/CFS by several different doctors. I've been sick for 12 years, very sick for 10+ years and bedbound for 6 years. My CFS is a "textbook case" and I always tested negative for Lyme, even the Igenex lab test.

After watching the movie, I found a doctor who takes history and clinical symptoms into account. He also did a urine test - one in which the patient is given heavy doses of antibiotic, then urine is tested on 3 non-consecutive days. If lyme is present, the dead spirchetes show up in the urine. This last test came back positive on all three samples for me.

I've getting treatment for lyme since January and I'm doing better for the first time in all these years! I had such bad orthostatic intolerance that I couldn't even sit up for any length of time, much less stand. Now I can walk around the block. Not only do I not crash, but the exercise actually makes me feel better now.

My digestive problems have cleared up. Brain fog has cleared (I can do the NY times crossword again!). Sleep has much improved.

This may not be everyone's answer, but it's definitely worth looking into.

Best of luck!
    bct likes this.
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Good to hear you finally got a correct diagnosis, vickiw, and are feeling better!

I also am doing much better since being treated by a Lyme literate MD.

It is very important for everyone to know that the standard lab tests for lyme are very inaccurate.

I also recommend watching "Under Our Skin" free online. It's very eye opening.
    bct likes this.
  6. vickiw

vickiw Member

Nanie, so glad to hear you are doing much better! I hope you continue to improve.

After being so sick for so long, this is almost surreal... but heavenly :p
    bct and Nanie46 like this.
  7. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Hi Nanie! Glad to see your are a mod now. Great you are feeling better too.
    Nanie46 likes this.
  8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Thanks vickiw and munch! :)

I'm always trying new things, hoping to improve even more.
    bct likes this.