Vinegar Allergy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by gb66, Nov 1, 2012.

1. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Is it possible to have an allergic reaction to using vinegar as a cleaning product?
    My husband used a solution of vinegar, water, and hand soap to clean some mildew off the bedroom ceiling and I started to itch and break out in red splotches on my chest and back.

I felt like my nasal passages were swollen and sinuses blocked. I felt breathless. Has anyone had this happen? I have chemical sensitivies, CFS and FM. GB66
  2. lukro

lukro Member

a reaction to the mold being stirred up by the wiping action, and not the vinegar.
  3. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thanks for your responses. I'll probably never know if it was the vinegar or the mold, maybe a combination. I had trouble sleeping for awhile due to the nasal swelling and congestion but it did finally start to clear.

I still feel a bit stuffy today and the itching was not too bad, the rash went away fast too. My stomach was upset too. Definitely a strong sensitivity reaction.

We washed the area again with plain water and dried with a hair dryer and I think that might have helped some. I do have severe MCS now. It's gradually gotten worse over the years. I will avoid cleaning with vinegar from now on though. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2012]
  4. lukro

lukro Member

which is why I use white vinegar to clean with. It's made from grain -- not the kind made from petrochemicals.