Vinegar increases insulin sensitivity, lowers blood sugar

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Sep 27, 2010.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

This may seem OT for this board. However, I (and I think many others) have some degree of insulin resistance in large part due to enforced lack of physical activity due to CFS. I'm very strict about my diet but it's very difficult to overcome all the negative effects of lack of physical exercise.

Anyways, here's a study showing the benefits of vinegar re blood sugar and insuline levels:

Here's another article about the benefits of vinegar (in addition to lowering blood sugar):

Here's a blurb from one of the articles:

A study cited in 2004 in the American Diabetes Association's publication Diabetes Care indicates that vinegar holds real promise for helping people with diabetes. In the study, 21 people with either type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance (a prediabetes condition) and eight control subjects were each given a solution containing five teaspoons of vinegar, five teaspoons of water, and one teaspoon of saccharin two minutes before ingesting a high-carbohydrate meal. The blood sugar and insulin levels of the participants were measured before the meal and 30 minutes and 60 minutes after the meal.

Vinegar increased overall insulin sensitivity 34 percent in the study participants who were insulin-resistant and 19 percent in those with type 2 diabetes. That means their bodies actually became more receptive to insulin, allowing the hormone to do its job of getting sugar out of the blood and into the cells. Both blood sugar and blood insulin levels were lower than normal in the insulin-resistant participants, which is more good news. Surprisingly, the control group (who had neither diabetes nor a prediabetic condition but were given the vinegar solution) also experienced a reduction in insulin levels in the blood. These findings are significant because, in addition to the nerve damage caused by perpetually elevated blood sugar levels, several chronic conditions, including heart disease, have been linked to excess insulin in the blood over prolonged periods of time.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I forgot there was a diabetes board. I don't have diabetes, but borderline insulin resistance.

I don't know if they're referring to ACV, but I know it's very good stuff.

LEFTYGG Member

ive seen this on earth clinic. it the acv with the mother in it. Braggs acv is 1 brand the dose here is much higher here.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is interesting. I wonder if this would benefit people at high risk of getting diabetes?

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm sure it would benefit people at high risk for diabetes. As I understand it, insulin resistance is a precursor to type 2 diabetes, so if one can increase insulin sensitivity, blood sugar levels will fall, and it would seem a natural consequence to help prevent diabetes (probably along with doing everything else right re diet, exercise (if possible!) and so on).

6. simonedb

simonedb Member

thanks for this thread! a lightbulb went off for me about this kombucha wonder drink (wonder is the brand out of oregon) I am hooked on it and feel better when I drink it usually. this particular brand seems very vinegary and doesnt seem alcoholish like some of them do, some kombuchas make me nauseous and dizzy but the wonder type does not, but its better if dont drink it daily but a few times a week ok. I tend to be hypoglycemic.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Does anyone have access to the full study?

I would think the next one would be how vinagar holds up vs. the medications for blood sugar.

Thanks in advance.