Viocodin Experience...Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KittyCat, Nov 8, 2005.

1. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hi Everyone,

The last couple of times I took a Viocodin for pain, I took it right before bed. I think this is so weird, but it actually kept me awake. It did help with the pain, but I felt as though I had drank too much coffee or something. That never happened to me before. Whenever I took one during the daytime, it didn't have that effect on me. Has anyone else experienced this? I rarely take Viocodin - only when the pain is extreme. I have FMS and depression/anxiety. That is the only pill I took that night. I didn't take my Antivan that night - just the V.

Thanks!
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Keeps me awake every time!! It affects everyone differently - makes some sleep, & keeps some awake!! I can't take it after 5:00 or I'm up half the night.

Leanne
  3. jennypee

jennypee New Member

This sometimes happens to me. Vicodin usually relieves the very edge of my pain-- just enough that I want to get up and DO something.

Depending on the dosage, I sometimes get mildly sleepy for about 20 minutes at the end of the relief cycle. Not enough to put me to sleep-- just enough to wish for sleep.

I'm glad I usually don't sleep on it though-- it gives me horrible nightmares.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I usually take my second one in the later afternoon as if I take one before bed, I stay awake...and I have enough trouble sleeping without having that on top.

Don't know why...

Best wishes!
    Sue
  5. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Vicodin has always been activating for me. My neighbor has the same reaction. We used to laugh that if we took a few at once we could clean our house top to bottom in 1 hr flat!

I actually can take a 10 mg vicodin and sleep. However if I take a 5 mg or 7.5 mg I can't sleep. This makes no common sense to me, can't explain it.

I have always thought that Vicodin was stimulating and also somewhat of an antidepressant. I have read in other sites that many people actually take vicodin as an antidepressant. Not many doctors would be willing to give it for that reason, but it really has that affect on me.

For bedtime, I take 1 klonopin, 900 mg of neurontin, and 2 simply sleep or tylenol pm, depending on how much pain I'm in. I try not to take Vicodin late in the day, otherwise I am up too late.

HTH
  6. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

I'm glad to know it's just not me. From now on if I have to take one, I'll make sure to take it during the day!
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Yes, Vicodin keeps me awake. Vicodin is hydrocodone, and I have been taking oxycodone. I have the same experience with both drugs. They keep me up. I won't take any past 6pm or I just lay there unable to sleep.

Katy
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

It actually seems to give me a little energy no matter when I take it. I try not to take it at night because it always keeps me awake. I thought I was the only one.