Vioxx not doing the job - any comments?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dogtired, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Dogtired

Dogtired New Member

I just started Vioxx a week ago and it is not controlling my pain at 50mg a day. I have been having to use small amounts of Vicodin to help me get through work. I was taking 2000mg of Ibuprofen a day and I know that can cause stomach bleeding (but it worked!). Anyone else have any experience with Vioxx? How long should I keep going before giving up on it?
    THANKS,
    Kristi
  2. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

is usually prescribed for inflammatory conditions. It will usually not help FM conditions. It did not work for me. I quit it right away. do you have FM? Iggy
  3. jmac

jmac New Member

Sorry to hear you're still in a lot of pain. It is miserable to not have relief.

After trying a plethera of NSAIDs, Vioxx is the only thing that got to my chronic lower back pain. I began taking it before I was dx with FM, and I just take 25 mg/day (50 on bad days). I've been taking it for 3 years and I can honestly say after 2 painful years without it, I have my life back.

Don't let your doctor give up. Different meds help different people. I ASKED for Vioxx. Do some research on the board for meds that help other people and request to try them -- something is bound to work, and it so much easier to deal with life when the pain is manageable. Good luck!

Jmac
  4. JQP

JQP New Member

Ibuprofen and Naproxen, both of which did my stomach no good whatsoever, and ended up taking tablets so I could take the tablets (only doctors could think of that one). Vioxx is usually prescribed for arthiritic conditions, and so far has had no obvious side effects on me, so am able to take on daily basis.

Here in UK maximum dose allowed is 25mg, which I take on the bad days, currently, but found that the 12.5 was OK most of the other time. But I do top it up with Co-Dydramol, and currently on max dose of that too.

Not pain free, but 'liveable' with and can't face the struggle of finding something else, nor the doc! But eventually will have do something about it.

But like the other said, not everything works for everyone. Would like to say keep trying with it, but only you know the hell it's puttting you through at the moment, and so hang in while you can and don't be afraid to go back to try something else. You are not the failure, the drug is.

Gentle hugs
    Jacqui
  5. Dogtired

Dogtired New Member

Not sure what the next step is - I am already burned out on the doctor red tape I have just gone thru - must pull myself up by the bootstraps and get ready for another round of trying to make appts, get records sent, blah, blah.
    I am new at this and ALREADY sick to death of amount of work it takes just to get in to see a doc...BIG sigh.
    I feel like my mind and body have lead weights attached today. Anyhow thanks all for writing. In my case, misery does love company.
    Blessings,
    Kristi
  6. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

I have found that NSAIDS truly don't work for FM unless you have an arthritic condition to go along with it. When the FM started in my knee they tried every one in the book, Vioxx, Celebrex, Relafen, Daypro, Naprosyn and none really took away the pain. This was before they knew I had FM. I have heard from some people the new one called Bextra doesn't hurt your stomach and has seemed to work better if you might want to try that.
    -Megan
  7. horsegal

horsegal New Member

So I'll be nice! I've tried all of that. Vioxx, Celebrex, a bunch of NSAIDS...none of them helped pain, but made my stomach and IBS run amuck! I've prayed for them, wished for them to work. It would make life SO much easier.

Sorry,
    Horsegal
  8. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I tried Vioxx for about 2 months and didn't feel it was doing anything so was put on Ibuprofen 800s 2/day which took the edge off because I also have arthritis. My ortho also gave me Prilosec to take to protect my stomach but I got acid reflux anyway after 2 yrs on IBU and Naproxen. I started taking joint supplements (MSM/Glucosamine) which after several months worked better than any NSAID so I quit taking them and now am sleeping better too because NSAIDS interferred with my stage 4 sleep.

The one thing that works for my FM and nerve pain is Neurontin - have you tried it? It takes a few weeks to get used to and you have to start out at low dosage (100 mg) and build up to what works for you. I'm now taking 300 mg every 6 hrs which works for me.

Best of luck in finding what works.
    Blessings,
    Shaky

9. Dogtired

Dogtired New Member

Horsegal,
    Just to clarify, is your frustration with: the drugs not working or the fact that I was venting??
    My brain is fogged/taking everything personally.
    Thanks,
    Kristi
    P.S. Thanks everyone, for the new ideas. I do have Reactive Arthritis (which is negative for rheumatoid factor) as well as CFS, so the jury is still out on what will work best...
  10. messymom

messymom New Member

Jumping out of my pained hole here to respond. I do still have pain but the vioxx with Devil's Claw has taken some of the edge off. I take many other things including compounded DHEA. The Claw is an ancient remedy and seems to be effective. I'm sick of pills (traditional) so I've been supplimenting with some other stuff. Hope this helps. I'm still working on a diagnosis. Not sure why it's so important but it would be nice to know what I have. I'm sure it's FM but I'm being worked up for other stuff too. Lab work in with appt. for results on Monday. Messymom
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
  11. Dogtired

Dogtired New Member

So, if one is not the 'addictive type', pain meds are better on the body over time than NSAIDS? I am still taking the Vioxx for lack of a better option at the moment and needing to augment with Vicodin almost daily now...not sure if I can find a doc who will let me do this longterm (?) Also, can you suggest any articles about this topic?
    Thanks!
    -Kristi

[ advertisement ]