Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Oct 26, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Testing is going out for the xmrv virus. They are testing in batches so they can be very careful they say it is a sensitive test. The first batch went out last week and they are getting blood back testing started today. You can get one infectious test for 399.99 and the other latent virus test was more but if you get them together it is cheaper so together the infectious and latent xmrv virus blood test is 600.00. Mine will be sent out Wednesday by fedex hopefully I will get it Thursday or Friday and my doc signs off on it and draws blood.
    They pay to fedex it back to them so hopefully I can get it out by friday so it can be tested in the next week or two.
    She said it would be two seperate vials.

I have had the diagnosis of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia for 12 years and I was diagnosed the first time by three seperate docs in home town. I had all classics symptoms, here is the twister I did not believe them because they were giving me an antidepressant. So I went to Emory hospital in Atlanta Ga to a neurologist the pain was so bizarre and coming from everywhere. I just kept figuring it had to do with my Central nervous system. I did not tell them I was diagnosed with fibro and chronic fatigue. Stayed two days checked head to toe and blood numerous test. The lady Dr she was a neurologist said you have fibromyalgia and you are going to have to accept it. Both of my parents died of cancer so if there is a connection I want to be tested for my kids and Grandkids.

Karma will get you I was reading a magazine back then before and had all the energy in the world. I laughed when I read yuppie flu!!! Karma
    Will let you know when I get the test and the day I send it back. I will tell you I have a lot of viruses ebv and herpes you name it. I did test negative for mycoplasma.
    So I really dont know how this will turn out we will see.
    Stay tuned
  2. PoodlesMom

PoodlesMom New Member

Do we need to call Whittmore Inst. for instructions or email????

I'm more than a bit confused today. Sorry.

3. hensue

hensue New Member

Are you kidding I stay confused, you call VIP labs in Reno Nevada. Nevada is the same place the WPI is.
    I do not have the number right now but you can google it.
    Take care Kathie and let me know
  4. hensue

hensue New Member

You will see an email at the top and if you look further a telephone number is on there.
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

for all the information. I don't think you got fibromyalgia because you laughed when you read about "yuppie flu" though! That would be a very stiff penalty for a moment of thoughtlessness, which we've all been guilty of.

Anyways - I'm going to call and see if Medicare will cover the test. That's pretty expensive - $399 a pop ...

Do keep us posted - thanks for your ongoing posts on this -

6. hensue

hensue New Member

for me to read yuppie flu in womens day magazine way back then and snicker and think we are all tired look what we do?

Probably like people think now. I have to much empathy for people that are sick it kills me.
    When I did laugh I will never forget it.

I do not think Medicare will cover it let me know?

Your welcome Mary

just called my docs office to see if he will sign off on it. If he doesnt I will try another doc.
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I just called VIP labs and they say it is too soon to tell if Medicare will cover the test. The woman I spoke to was very nice. She said their tests are considered "esoteric" - and they never know if Medicare will cover them or not. She said sometimes Medicare will pay for a test for one person and then not for another ....

So it sounds like they will bill Medicare, but whether it will pay is another matter.

Anyways, I think I will wait about 2 months until they've had a chance to see if Medicare is reimbursing for the test -

Yeah, about "yuppie flu" - I don't know who originated this term but it's no different than the CDC's attitude towards CFS all these years. They minimalized it and trivialized it and ridiculed people. But I know what you mean - I've thought or said things in the past that I cringe now to think about - I guess it means we're human!