Viral Screen

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Evadyl, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly a viral screen shows. My doctor had me do one the other day and I'm just wondering if it just shows the viruses that are active at present or past infection or whatever????

It would be great if anyone knows and could fill me in.

Love Evadyl x
  2. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

Anyone have any ideas?????
  3. fiddlestix

fiddlestix New Member

Evdyl,
    Sometimes my doc checks my viral loading for specific viruses like EBV. She calls this a "viral panel". Perhaps your doc was doing this? If so, it would show if you have had or currently are having issues with that particular virus by showing levels of IGM and IGG to it. IGG numbers aren't necessarily a reliable measure, as they do change very frequently and tend to run high in CFS/FM patients, but the IGM can tell you if you do have a current viral infection.

Ask for clarification on what test was run and what the result was. I tend to be wary of docs who just say that the test was "normal" or "OK" because I want more information than that. So feel free to be assertive and ask pointed questions. That way you'll get closer to the answers you need. And hey, hang in there. I can really relate to this kind of thing!

fiddlestix