Virtual Colonoscopy anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Apr 5, 2007.

1. darude

darude New Member

I can have this done locally and wondered if anyone had this instead of the regular Colonoscopy? Doc says it's much easier on you!!!
  2. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I've had to have colonoscopies done since my 40s, because of certain symptoms. About every 3 yrs. And most of the time, something had to be removed during the procedure.

If this is your first and you're having any symptoms e.g. rectal bleeding, difficulty with bowels, please consider doing a traditional C. It doesnt hurt, you're sedated anyway and if you're doc is being honest with you, you're going to have to drink fluid to clean your bowels anyway which is the worst part of the entire procedure, not the actual C itself.

If you have a virtual and something is there that needs to come out, does that mean you have to return and go thru the procedure for real? Why waste your time and money????
  3. darude

darude New Member

Thats a good point!!! I'm having occasional rectal bleeding and now some post menopausal bleeding. Stool has got thinner and thinner and feel a blockage. Also more fatigue than usual if that is possible. Nausea and upper digestive burning and constant lower abdominal pain.So I do feel there is something there. It will be first one and I am 56 years of age.
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

that you'll have to go through a "real" one all over again if they find the slightest thing wrong, whereas they can fix things like polyps on-the-spot during a regular colonoscopy.

And you'll have to do the bowel prep the night before even with a virtual one. That's the toughest part anyway...the colonoscopy itself is pretty easy, I think, the bowel prep is the yucky part. And you do that either way.

Many insurance companies won't cover a virtual one, so be sure to check your policy on that if you do decide to go "virtual". Good luck! I just had a regular one about a month ago---all went well!

Hugs,
    Pam

5. darude

darude New Member

In a CT scan (also called a CAT scan), the patient's body is exposed to low-intensity x-rays. The different densities of internal structures cause variations in the intensity of radiation as it passes through the body. These variations are recorded and analyzed by a computer to produce detailed images of internal organs. In virtual colonoscopy, doctors use a CT scanner to peer into the patient's colon. Images from virtual colonoscopy simulate what those doctors would see if they were doing an actual colonoscopy.

"Small studies have shown virtual colonoscopy is a fairly effective way to evaluate larger polyps," says Dr. Rappaport, Section Head of Body CT Scanning at Mount Sinai Hospital and Assistant Professor, Medical Imaging, University of Toronto. "We wanted to study the feasibility of doing it ourselves and also to evaluate the utility of Mount Sinai's new multi-slice CT scan equipment."

Over the next year, both virtual and actual colonoscopies will be performed on about 100 of the hospital's patients. Then Dr. Rappaport and co-researcher Dr. David Baron will compare the two sets of images to see if virtual colonoscopy is as effective in detecting polyps or other colon abnormalities as the traditional procedure.

Virtual colonoscopy has both advantages and disadvantages. While it is far more patient-friendly, it does expose patients to radiation. Also, if polyps are found, the patient must then undergo a traditional colonoscopy to have them removed. "On the other hand," says Dr. Rappaport, "if we do a virtual colonoscopy and find nothing, conceivably we can avoid doing a colonoscopy."

6. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Sorry, I read we're not supposed to be arguementative, but as someone whose life was saved 10 years ago by 'accident' by having a colonoscopy, virtual colonoscopies I think are being marketed because people are squeamish about having their butts explored, its a taboo even medically.

I was bleeding, my mom said, 'Oh don't worry, as long as its red blood, its nothing' and I thought, okay she probably knows, she knows all about vitamins and reads all this stuff about health 24/7. This went on for 2 years because when I'm stupid, I am really STUPID.

Finally told gastro who had removed my gallbladder what was going on, he didnt find hemmorhoids and insisted I see my ob/gyn--she didnt find a reason for rectal bleeding either.

Cancerous polyps was the cause of the bleeding.
    Another few months would have meant full blown colon cancer at 43. This would have occured about 10 years before the age they recommend people START having colonoscopies.

I'm dont eat much red meat, I'm pretty good about my veges /fiber. But if you read my posts I am not well, its not only FM, it seems I inherited every medical weakness on both sides.

I dont mean to scare anyone reading, but I will say there are some things to take seriously. It doesnt have to do with age, its symptoms and listening to your body, not always to conventional medical theory.

Those of you who mentioned symptoms such as bleeding and are sitting on it, postponing a clear diagnosis really should think again.

love u all and hope this is taken with the intention to help that it was written with.
  7. darude

darude New Member

Thanks for ya info appreciate it.
  8. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I agree with the posters above who recommend the regular colonoscopy. Your symptoms sound concerning enough that a traditional colonscopy is probably warranted as a virtual colonoscopy might not pick up as well if there is anything going on.
  9. UGH I was just thinking I am overdue for another colonoscopy. Once there done its not bad LOL! Really they put you out, so its okay. I did have one where the dr. said an A$$ himself , no pun intended. lol! And it was painful with horrid spasms and pain. I would NEVER go back to that idiot.
    A virtual colonoscopy sounds too easy and doubt they would go along with that one?