Virus Destroyed My Laptop Hard Drive...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But it's not as bad as it sounds. I had let my Norton expire and was going to renew it when the computer icon told me Microsoft had updates. As soon as I told it to go ahead, the whole thing froze. When I restarted it, the info said there was no hard drive and no operating system. That's the worst kind of virus you can get. I was unable to fix it with the Restore CD's.

I asked my neighbor about it because he's pals with a computer guru who teaches at the local univ. He said the action of last resort is to remove the little round battery from the motherboard for five minutes. Sometimes, that works. I got to thinking--on the back of my computer is a little hole where you stick a pencil point to reset that battery after the laptop is serviced. Taking a laptop apart is a real pain so I decided to try resetting the battery. Voila! It worked. The virus had done other damage and the laptop was running sluggishly. I went into Microsoft and had it scanned for updates. Once the updates were done, it started working fast again.

I immediately renewed my Norton and did all the virus updates on that. Whew! Dodged a BIG bullet. I wanted to post this info because I doubt anyone knows about this little trick. It was deja vu of three years ago when thugs destroyed the hard drive on my PC on my birthday. My Mother died three days later. Of course, losing my computer was nothing compared to losing my Mother but it still was very stressful for both Mom and me and we felt so violated. I think there must be a special hell for those who send viruses. They have no idea what is going on in people's lives, especially people like us who depend on our computers for our very health.

I'm feeling very blessed tonight that I still have a laptop. I also wanted to remind everyone not to let the virus protection expire even for a day. Those updates are soooo important. It's easy to forget to do it on laptops if they aren't used often.

Love, Mikie
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I know we have Norton. I'm really dumb but how do people get into your computer?

By the way, sometimes I get an email from an unknown person with nothing attached and no message. I told my husband I delete them right away but.....what is that all about?
  3. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Thank you for that great tip, Mikie. I had let mine expires on my pc. I didn't know that was so important.

It's since been renewed, but from now on, I will never let it go for 3 months.

Thanks for sharing,

skierchik
  4. cats3

cats3 New Member

There are a number of good FREE anti-virus software to download and use also FREE firewalls.

So a person never has to be without protection for their computers.

I use AVG anti-virus free edition.

Just do a search on the web for freeware anti-virus and firewall software.

[This Message was Edited on 03/19/2006]
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

You are so right about keeping up with your antivirus program. I'm on a Mac and even with that I have Norton AV for Macs on here, just in case. It updates itself every Saturday when I get on it.

On Windows, we don't do mail on OE, hubby uses Yahoo mail and I have Avast antivirus, which is free, running on that computer along with Windows Defender for spyware.

We never open any Yahoo mail that we don't know who it is from. We just delete it. I open all mine on the Mac. One can get keyloggin programs from hackers just in email without you ever knowing about it. I've had it happen to me several times on Windows, which is why I'm on a Mac now.

We had Norton AV on the Windows computer, but had a conflict with a new HP printer/scanner/copier, so that is why I uninstalled Norton on Windows.

Hope you are feeling well, Mikie. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2006]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For your comments. The guy next door uses AVG and likes it. I have been happy with Norton and McAfee. With laptops, we sometimes don't use them for a while and that's the problem. The software has not updated and new viruses can get in.

There are tons of ways to get viruses. I don't open mail from anyone I don't know. Yahoo scans e-mails and attachments for viruses, so I feel it's relatively safe. I get a lot of forwarded e-mails with links. I never open the links.

I also got an automated phone call from a 1-800 number asking me to verify personal info so they could verify me as one of their cardholders. It was an obvious attempt to steal identity. I hung up and reported the number to the credit card company so they can try to have it investigated.

How sad that there are people who hurt others and try to steal from them.

Love, Mikie
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I really need to get my firewall and anti-virus stuff updated, I've let it go for awhile and I'd be lost without my laptop.

I'm glad you got it fixed out and thanks for the post.

love
    Rosie
  8. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I also have the AVG, my Son installed it, right after my other computer, crashed due to a "Hacker", and it's probably the same one Mikie.
    I remember when all that Happened, as my Mom, passed away, around the same time as your Mother did.

I run, the AVG, before I shut down, every time, and I don't open anything with a Forward, that's how they got in last time, ...?

ANyway, we should be Reminded of these often, as you are so right about, Not everyone, Being who they claim they are, bet there are a few here right now, .
    Now if you are a real person , that statement will not Upset you, right? ;o) ;o)

Glad your Laptop is working again, and you didn't lose to much Computer time.

OT; Mikie, my FIL passed away, up there in Idaho, and my Newphew who lives in Jacksonville, has invited us to come and See Them, this summer, I am hoping we can do that.
    He's so Grown up now, lol, a family of his own.
    He and his Wife flew in for the Funeral, I couldn't do it.

Ok, gabby me, ;o)

Have a Sunshine Day,
    sharonk
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I felt as though I had a target on my back yesterday. It must be too close to the full moon and/or the Ides of March.

Sharon, I hope you do get to visit JAX. It is a nice city and there is a beach. I haven't been there but I like the Atlantic beaches better than the Gulf. The water is different and there are waves. We have beautiful Gulf beaches but the water is different.

Weather is cooler than normal one day and hotter than normal the next. This used to seldom happen. Climate is changing everywhere. I am so sorry about your FIL. I will say a prayer for everyone.

Love, Mikie
  10. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Keeping both antivirus and firewall programs up to date is really important...but don't forget to also have anti-spyware protection, too. I've had more problems with this than anything else and...it can shut down your computer just like a virus (or keep you from getting on line).

Spy's can get into your computer via email, site visits, cookies, etc., and your antivirus and firewalls won't detect them. Ad-Aware SE is a freebie (but they also have one they sell). There used to be some other good freebies, but they're so overused, you can't get access to updates. Currently, I'm buying and using "Spyware Doctor", it not only catches spies, but it also checks for "keyloggers". What's a keylogger? This is spyware that picks up your usernames and passwords. (Lotza sneeky people out there.)

I run 2 anti-spyware programs when I'm checking my computer. Spyware Doctor runs in the background and catches most spies.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It was recommended by PC Magazine. I use it all the time. It's amazing how much spyware one picks up.
    Love, Mikie