Virus Hand, Foot, Mouth anyone had this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpecialK82, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Has anyone had Hand Foot Mouth (not to be confused with foot and mouth) virus in their life? It's a virus that typically effects infants and children but some adults can get it also. Usually you are sick with fever, fatigue and develop blisters in your mouth, palms of hands, and the soles of the feet. Then it all goes away in about 10 days.

It just occured to me that I had this (as an adult) about 1 - 2 years before I started getting symptoms of FM/CFS. I looked it up and found that it usually is caused by coxsackie virus or enterovirus.

I've had blood tests drawn at Dr. Lerner's office but have not gotten results yet. Does anyone know if Dr. Lerner tests for these particular viruses?

2. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

3. Sachmo500

Sachmo500 New Member

I had this sort of the beginning of the troubles. I was getting one thing and then another and that was one of the problems that I got during that phase of the troubles.

Later, I got extreme fatigue and pain, interesting observation
  4. Elisa

Elisa Member

I was diagnosed by a dermalogist - I had the rash/bumps on my hands feet and in my mouth...He called it Hoof and Mouth.

I read also that it is coxsackie...

No sure what it all means relative to the CFS picture yet...

God Bless,

5. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Thanks Kelly, I'll have to look into what Dr. Chia has to say. Was it Montoya that tested you for coxsackie? I wonder if Lerner would do it if I asked, if not, do you know of any other way that I could get that done?

Sachmo500 and Elisa - thanks for responding, I'm surprised not more people here have had this if there is any kind of link. Have either of you ever felt the blisters again after the initial illness? Just recently here in the last week or so I feel like I have little tiny blisters on my tongue and even on my face and on the palms of my hands but I can't see anything. It feels like there are blisters there - maybe under the skin somehow, or maybe just my nerve endings?? It reminds me of the feeling I had with the Hand, Foot, Mouth 12 years ago...

[This Message was Edited on 08/13/2008]
  6. emmally

emmally New Member

I was told by my primary doctor that I had the hand foot and hoof virus around the time that I first starting getting sick and my lymphnodes were popping out. Around a year before I was diagnosed with mono and than HHV 6. I only had blisters in my mouth though. No where else.
  7. aleutian

aleutian New Member

I would be interested to whom you sent your stomcah sample. I was seen by Suzanne Levine and she told me samples sent to Chia were not coming back in a timely fashion.

Who at Georgetown is doing the testing? Why can't you get the results? Are they testing for other viruses? I keep coughing up green sputum and the lab results last year indicated a lot of enterobacteria clocae. I've contacted Chia's office again to find out about the waiting time. I'm already fed up with Dr. Levine. I live fairly close to Washington so I would like to know about the georgetown study.

8. misskoji

misskoji Member

And interestingly enough, the blisters and all that come with it keep coming back/flaring.

I'm not sure however, if there were ever any labs done to aid in dx'ing me. I'll have to look it up.

Both times I was dx with it, I was also far into adulthood. And it seems when I do flare with CFS/FM it tends to reactivate this virus as well.

I'm glad you posted, I thought it was just me.

Healing hugs.
  9. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

You know whats really interesting, the presentation made by the german doctors advocated treatment for enterovirus with beta interferon, whereas Chia supposedly uses alpha and gamma interferon. Not sure why they are using different protocols. I'm not a Chia patient, but thats what I have read. Am I right? Anyone know?[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2008]
  10. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

That is interesting that you are experiencing the same thing as me. I just recently had the whole feeling of blisters in my mouth but I wasn't sick. That makes sense that they come back when we are in a flare, I didn't think about it that way.

It's interesting how we both got this as adults, when I beleive you normally build up immunity to it as a child. I even got it before I had any FM/CFS immune dysfunction of which I was aware.

11. misskoji

misskoji Member

You know, I kept asking around in chat if anyone else experienced these blisters. And quite a few have. I'm not real sure if this was the same thing they were experiencing, but it's interesting to make a link.

I was baffled by the blisters and even feared Lupus or some other unknown, until I looked back upon my own older posts. And that's when I realized I'd forgotten all about the hand/foot/mouth dx's. Then it made sense that this must be what keeps reflaring/reactivating when I flare with FMS or CFS.

I remember the one time it was really pronounced. I had come down with a sudden pneumonia, out of absolutely nowhere. I had no cold or any problems whatsoever before it struck. I remember being in the ER and feeling them under my skin, and then seeing some of the blotches under my skin, and then a couple days later they were blisters, and then the dx. I can relate to what you mean about not seeing the blisters but feeling them.

Anyway, thanks for posting and sharing about it.

12. Salix

Salix New Member

I've had this in varying degrees of severity for much of the past year. I'd been treating my ME with the full Yasko Protocol, so it started about a year or so into that. I'm not sure if this is a sign that the Yasko protocol improved my immune function so that it was able to identify and fight the virus, or whether it became weakened so that I was no longer able to control it. Either way, I consider it unhealthy to spend so much time and biogocial resource fighting something.

I have had this before, around 20 years ago almost constantly for a 9-12 months, and prior to that repeatedly as a child. I read the 10 day thing too, if only!

In the past few weeks the flares have become less severe. The current one is worse again which is a bit disappointing.

One thing that might be helping is my recent supplementing of methylselenocysteine(sp?), selenium in a more readily bio-available form. I know we can't post links on this board, but if you google you should find info on how Coxsackie hijacks the hosts selenium for it's own use, so depriving the host of selenium it needs for it's own glutathione peroxidase (glutathione is involved in immune response and detoxification amongst other things).

Could also be that trimmed back my supplement regime, as I felt some were unecessary or counter-producative. Or that other supplements are re-building my immune function.

If only it were easier to figure.........