Vision blurring that comes and goes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Jul 18, 2010.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi All, does anyone else have vision problems with the need to keep blinking to try to clear up the blurry feeling? I have had my eyes checked within the last 6 months and they were fine then except the dr did say I had dry eyes(although they dont feel dry).Some days they feel normal and I see fine and then some days its off and on blurriness most of the day.Is this also a part of the fibro? thanks and God Bless
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I know that CFS can cause vision problems....not sure about FM, but it would make sense

the CFS related visual issues are actually a neurological issue (rather than a problem with the eyes themselves)- the brain and vestibular system do not process what is being seen properly

there are supposedly some ways of doing a sort of visual therapy to treat this (some people have more luck with this than others).......unfortunatley there are very few eye doctors that even know about this problem, let alone have any ways to deal with it.....the specialty that can deal with this (& not even all of them can) are neuro ophthalmologists

the CFIDS Association has had a couple of articles about this might be able to find out more googling them and then looking in their archives

personally I have terrible vision to start with, and then this issue makes it even worse, bc my prescription changes depedning on how tired I am and my eyes have a terrible time refocusing (so during an exam it is almost impossible to get anything close to an accurate script when they do the thing where they flip between scripts and ask which one is better).....I absolutely cannot rely on glasses for much - would never drive with them....have had better luck with contacts, but they still are not really right

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have this so often.. Same as you have had my eyes checked thinking it had to be them but all checked out ok. I think its part of CFS/FM it effects every part of our bodies.. Are you bothered my sinus, allergy symproms but no real sinus or allergies? I would say its just another gift that comes with CFS/FM..

God Bless,
  4. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

My eyes are always just slightly blurry. I am very near-sighted anyway but when I try and get a prescription they can't pinpoint it exactly because of the blurriness. It gets worse when hormones come into play.
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I get that...I seem to always be blinking trying to clear it up.

My symptoms are from a chronic Borrelia burgdorferi infection (lyme).
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Yes, I've had this problem with my left eye for about five years now. I've had it checked several times and there is nothing detectably wrong with my eye. I accept it as yet another symptom of CFS.
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have FM and I get that too. It affects the muscles in your eyes just like it affects your other muscles.
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Blurred vision, I have it too....for some reason it's different on different days. I know it's sometimes caused from meds, check out the side effect list if you're on any meds.

I figured mine was from being over 40 yrs old, but it's probably from both the FM/CFS and getting old! Shoot!
  9. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I'm 46 and I thought it was age too, but then reading glasses don't work for me and I have to take my glasses off (I'm near-sighted) to see close things. Weird.
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

my daughter's BF apparently had Lyme, had no symptoms other than initial 'flu', then a couple of months later his vision suddenly blurred. An astute local doc questioned him closely, gave him abx for a couple of weeks, and it cleared up.

Symptoms with tick-born infections of any kind can be weird and can come and go
  11. scotlandrose

scotlandrose Member

Last eye doctor appt., I mentioned and he confirmed my vision was pretty bad. Told him about my FM, he did some other tests, all negative. I also mentioned my vision varied day to day in conjunction with meds, how tired i was, and other factors. Turns out my eyeballs are pretty good for a 45yr old, but the muscles are the problem. I just try to cope with what i get on any given day.

12. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My eyes have gotten worse in the past couple of years. I've always blinked a lot, but so has my sister. My right eye gets really dry and hurts actually. I have also recently started needing reading glasses. I think my problem is more age related. My eyes don't converge like they used to. I hate to admit it. Always had perfect vision - no more!!
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I used to have blurred vision several years ago. It was especially noticeable at night if I was driving - the dashboard lights would almost look haloed - like a street light in mist. It definitely felt like a film on my eyes. I never had it checked. It was the least annoying of all my symptoms. It stopped for some unknown reason. ANd it did fluctuate while I had it, better and worse.

I just chalked it up to this dd.

14. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I have FM & my eyes are always dry. I am being tested for Sjogren's Syndrome (long story) , there appears to be a link between FM & SS. My eye Dr. gave me a gel type eye drops to use because it covers the eye better. My eyes are itchy sometimes but mostly just blurry. The eye dops are just over the counter but they work pretty well when I remember to use them! Lol!
  15. 3gs

3gs New Member

Mine blur also. dry eyes too. filmy feeling yep.

makes it hard to get eye exam for glasses. They thought at one time MS because of vision,nope just the CFS/fibro!