Vision Problems with Lyme Disease?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by Manaleon, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

Hello,

I'm normally on the Fibro/CFS board, but lately I've had a few Lyme questions I haven't been able to get good answers to.

Last summer I was working at a large private garden and was bitten by a deer tick. It managed to get into my blood, and when I pulled it out, I had a lot of pain in the joints of my leg. Since I already had a lot of the symptoms of chronic Lyme, I was worried if I got Lyme Disease, I wouldn't know. I called my doctor and he put me on a full course of antibiotics. I started taking the medicine, but after a week, I learned the hard way that I was taking it incorrectly.(It needed to be taken on an empty stomach, but the pharmacy made a mistake and it didn't say it on the bottle). So I got only half of the antibiotics. I went for blood tests a few months later and everything was negative.

After the bite though, I flared up with the fibro. One thing that was unusal though and keeps getting worse is my vision. It's not the normal blurred vision as a side effect of medication. Sometimes it like looking at static on the tv, a mixture of black and white spots. Another time, I thought it was snowing because I saw small white spots. Most of the time when I see the spots they;re very colorful though and the edges of my vision is black. There have also been times when I had a huge black spot in my vision too. The static vision is the most common though. I see it when my eyes are closed too. It scares me, but the doctor I mentioned it to thought nothing of it.

The other thing I noticed a lot of is the nerve pain keeps getting worse. I've always associated Lyme's Disease with the nervous system.

Anyways, thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

June
  2. Junegal

Junegal New Member

I believe vision problems can be caused by Lyme disease. I personally don't have what you describe but I remember reading somewhere that can be a symptom.

I would most definintely make an appointment to see a Lyme Literate MD to pursue this. You can log on to "TurntheCorner.org" and email them for a list of doctors near you.

I know you said you had a negative Lyme test, but it really depends which lab they ran it through. I am a newbie here myself, but the one thing I have learned is that you have to get a test through a reliable lab, Igenex (I may have that spelling wrong?) is one of the main ones to test for Lyme. Many people who have Lyme test negative through other labs.

The fact that you know you were bitten by a tick and your symptoms got worse is something I would pursue seriously with a Lyme Literate MD (LLMD) as soon as you can get in.

I wish you all the best,

Jungegal
  3. kyra07

kyra07 New Member

Lyme causes vision problems. When I had Lyme years ago, I had vision problems. Black spots were common in my vision. also I saw everthing through white, pink and red stripes. I know someone who saw everything through a yellow fog and had black spot issues. Then there were the visual hallucinations, but that's a whole other topic!

Talk to your eye doctor, as it can also be a sign of a dettached retina.

Good luck!
  4. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

Hi June,

Lyme can cause vision problems. I think you should see an LLMD to get re-started on antibiotic treatment.

There are a lot of good websites out there that where you can find the "experts" on lyme disease.

I hope you get treatment soon so you can find some relief, especially since your vision is affected.

All the best,
  5. Jupiter7

Jupiter7 New Member

Yes, please get to an LLMD ASAP! You really need to follow up with a doctor who knows that Lyme Disease is NOT easily cured with 4 weeks of antibiotics!! You cannot rely on conventional blood tests.

Joint pain and vision problems are BIG indicators of Lyme, along with many other symptoms. Everyone's different. See canlyme.com for an extensive list of symptoms. It's a good list to print out.

I've got about 40 of 75 symptoms. Hopefully, you can get treatment before your number of symptoms grow, as mine has over the past 5 years. Sometimes damage is irreversible, so don't put it off!

I know it's strange, but there are many misconceptions on the subject. You really have to read and get educated about how tricky this spirochete can be.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Jupiter
  6. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I wanted to say thank you to your responses. I have a number for a doctor that specializes in Lyme. He's been on vacation though but I'll keep trying. If not, I know my rheumatologist has a lot of knowlegde and I have an appointment coming up with him

Jupiter,

One of the things I found interesting on the list was weight gain. Since the tick bite I've gained 70 pounds. Most of my doctors are blaming it on the Lyrica, but the weight gain started 3 months prior to the Lyrica. Thank you for the list.

Sincerely,
    June