Vision problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrogoddess, Apr 7, 2007.

1. fibrogoddess

fibrogoddess New Member

I was wondering if vision problems are part of fibro? I had an eye exam a few weeks ago and had to go back last week for more tests and I have to go again Mon for even more and to take one test over. I have double vision in my right eye only and sometimes I see a "flash" out of the corner of my eye and it wont focus as well as the left. After all the tests the dr said my eyes were healthy and he doesnt know why I have the double vision in only one eye, that it should be in both and he cant get the right eye to focus right. So he will do more tests Mon. The test I have to redo is where I had to cover one eye, then follow a red light and when I see a green light flash in my perephial (sp) I click the button. Left eye was fine but in my right there is an area in an "arc" shape where I missed several. My prescription didnt change much at all, which is good since its been like 5 years since my last exam. Are vision problems like this part of fibro or something else? Does anyone else have this problem?
  2. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Fibro, good to see you!
    well I have been wondering the same thing myself. I am 46 and people begin to see eye changes in their middle 40's but mine look and feel like they have a gloopy coating and look glassy or glazed. I am worried I am loosing my sight. I am an artist and worry about it. I will be interested to see what kind of feed back you get here.
    I hope you get your eye situation figured out! God bless and Happy Easter~
    GigglePoet
  3. mymissy

mymissy New Member

according to my Eye Dr, yes FM will effect your vision.
  4. 139864

139864 New Member

I am having having Eye problems at the moment ,but I also have other diseases that can affect the eyes ..sjogren' Syndrome for one ,but YES ! FM does have an affect on the eyes .
    If you do a search for" FM /strabismus)" it should give you the info. that you need

. Botox for the treatment of fibromyalgia. Botox has been approved for other conditions such as:

Spasms of the muscle close to the eye (blepharospasm)
    Inability of the eyes to work together properly (strabismus)
    Involuntary contractions of neck muscles (cervical dystonia)
    Severe armpit sweating (hyperhidrosis)
    Frown lines between the eyebrows
    More clinical trials are needed to determine the safety and potential benefits of Botox as a treatment of fibromyalgia.

GOOD LUCK
    Brenda uk
  5. Poppy2

Poppy2 New Member

I have vision problems, my left eye is worse. I get floaters and double vision and have a pulsating sensation in my eyes. Just like that in my hands and s arms and head etc. Iv'e had my eyes tested and nothing shows up wrong. Poppy
  6. fibrogoddess

fibrogoddess New Member

I saw an Opthamologist. I also get the floaters but he said they are nothing to worry about, it is part of the aging process...lol..Ive been seeing these floaters since my early 30's! Im not going to worry about my eyes anymore since I know they are healthy, I just wish the double vision was gone, its very annoying.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have three issues: Ocular migraines, where I see flashing lights in arcs both eyes no pain though. used to get them occasionally now sometimes many times a week.

Too bright sensation, have to squint a lot. Also blurry(veiled) vision and I have cupped nerves in both eyes that looks like but isn't glaucoma which the eye doc thinks is related to FM as he sees it in others. Have had tests and no one seems bothered but me!!!

Annie C
  8. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Did your Dr Dialate your eyes & then exam them?
    I was having the same problems with flashes & lots of floaters in my right eye that came up suddenly.

I told one of my co-workers about it & he said I should go see my eye Dr, because that was a sign of a detached Retina. So I called my eye Dr & he got me in that same day.
    He did a thorough exam using dialation & told me I had PVD in the right eye.

You can look this up on the internet & get all the info on it. I can't remember what the words are. What it means is the gel sack in the eye is detaching from the wall. Basically the gel sack is collapsing. He said this is common as you age. (I hate hearing those words)

Anyway, he explained it as the sack contains gel & as you age, it starts to pull away from the wall. That's what causes the eye flashes & floaters.

This happened to me a couple of months ago. I don't have very many flashes now, but still have the black floaters.
    The one thing that bothers me the most is having the smudgy blurry feelinig. It is like I have a dirtly contact in my eye that I just can't clean. I have started using eye drops which do help temporarily. I am using Systane unit dose vials.

What bothers me is that your Dr doesn't see anything.
    He really needs to dialate your eyes (I know, I hate that too, but it does help from them to see inside your eye) This is crucial, because they have to watch it to make sure it doesn't detach from the retina. If that is caught early enough, it won't be a problem.

Well, I didn't mean to type a book, but since this just happened to me, I thought you might want to know.

Let me know if I can help, further.

Marilyn

9. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Here's what I found on the internet.
    It's called Posterior Vitreous Detachment.
    Here are the symtoms:

"What are the symptoms of PVD?
    Many people are not aware that they have developed PVD but some notice symptoms such as floaters or flashing lights. Floaters can take many forms from little dots, circles, lines, to clouds or cobwebs. Sometimes people experience one large floater which can be distracting and make things difficult to read.

The flashing lights that occur are also caused by the PVD. As the outer part of the vitreous detaches from the retina it can pull on this light sensitive membrane, especially where the vitreous is attached quite strongly to the retina. The pull of the vitreous in these areas stimulates the retina. This stimulation causes the sensation of flashing lights since the brain interprets all stimulation signals from the retina as light."

Hopes this helps.
    Marilyn

10. 6cats

6cats New Member

I was diagnosed with Dyplopia, but I do not think it is related....I had a lazy eye when I was younger and had an operation on it when I was 4. And because I was asleep then for the operation my eyes never were properly aligned. It has gotten a bit worse over time so I can not really drive at night...
  11. fibrogoddess

fibrogoddess New Member

Yes he dialated my eyes last visit. Thats when he said they were fine and wasnt sure why I had the double vision. I should have explained it better, the double vision isnt like I see 2 of everything, more of a shadow. Like when I read I see the words and then the shadow of the words to the right. Like the sun is casting a shadow. If I close my right eye it goes away. Someone mentioned MS. I was tested a few years ago because the dr thought I had it. But the MRI showed no lesions so it was ruled out. I go back tomorrow so I will definitely menion that to him and see what he says. Thanks for all the info everyone.