Visit to Urgent Care; another stupid dr comment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Jan 1, 2009.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I had severe back pain (which I 've had before, but this was worse), figured it was the fibro flaring up, but it was bad enough to see a doctor, and I was worried it might be something else.

Anyway, when I got in to see the dr, she said that "most people with fibromyalgia don't want to get better". I thought what year are we in? And she went on to tell me how my insomnia was menopause.

didn't say much, but left with a script for muscle relaxers, which is all I really wanted anyway. It made me very grateful that my primary dr is wonderful (but 2 hours away).

Sue in Ontario

2. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I am so sorry to hear what an idiot you had to deal with at the Urgent Care Center. Makes you wonder where some doctors got their license to practice doesn't it.

Well at least you did get a RX for muscle relaxers. I hope they help you with your pain and discomfort.

My primary doctor is wonderful. She always listens and tries different things hopeing to help me with the pain and stiffness. She didn't really think I needed to go to a rheumatologist but I asked her to send me to one and she did. Funny thing is, even knowing now that I have RA along with the FMS didn't make me feel any better than when the primary doctor was treating me for FMS. Guess I should have listened.

As for "most people with FMS don't want to get better" statement, I am sure that if the ones that read this could, they would tar and feather her.

Take your muscle relaxers and try and ride the flare out if possible.

Best wishes for the New Year.
  3. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi Sue--
    How thoughtless of her to make such a rude comment like that to you...just remember--

Some minds are like concrete: thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

I'm glad she's not your doctor and hope you don't have to deal with her again so you can put her out of your mind. Hope the meds help your back pain!

Take Care,
  4. spacee

spacee Member

She said that "fevers' are a "learned response" in children of CFS patients. Such ignorance. Will have to admit they got a touch of my temper that day.

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I think we should have a standard information sheet that we send to dr's like this. Something we can just stick in the mail and give them a little something to think about.
    I'm a firm believer that although someone may not listen to what you say at the time, some day, who knows when, your words will come back to the forefront of their mind.

Sorry you crossed such an ignorant person's path!