Visited with bro in law a Dr...re" flu shot, meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Sep 29, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

asked him quite a bit about Fibro, he says (his opinion, we all have them) that a flu shot is a very good idea, suppressed immune system & all. Accdg to him these days they are very safe.

re: meds, he says fibro people do not benefit from pain meds, the med profession is finding that exercise is what we all need.

Yeah right.

He kind of acted like all of the docs we see, deal with it. Don't take pain meds. Drink lots of water. Exercise. Don't believe everything you read.

I think regarding the pain he is clueless, no one understands like we do. I get really upset by that attitude.

He was concerned about the zapper, he was concerned that all these toxins we kill off just invade our cells causing more problems.

I asked him why I could not get tested for mycoplasma, he suggested I be more insistent. Sounded to me like he was saying they have to accomodate us wishes to some degree.

Take it for what it is worth.

I love him so much but I do think they teach in Med school to minimize our ailments.

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

asked him quite a bit about Fibro, he says (his opinion, we all have them) that a flu shot is a very good idea, suppressed immune system & all. Accdg to him these days they are very safe.

re: meds, he says fibro people do not benefit from pain meds, the med profession is finding that exercise is what we all need.

Yeah right.

He kind of acted like all of the docs we see, deal with it. Don't take pain meds. Drink lots of water. Exercise. Don't believe everything you read.

I think regarding the pain he is clueless, no one understands like we do. I get really upset by that attitude.

He was concerned about the zapper, he was concerned that all these toxins we kill off just invade our cells causing more problems.

I asked him why I could not get tested for mycoplasma, he suggested I be more insistent. Sounded to me like he was saying they have to accomodate us wishes to some degree.

Take it for what it is worth.

I love him so much but I do think they teach in Med school to minimize our ailments.

Jaci
  3. fibolady

fibolady New Member

all summer and you can tell him i am still in just as much pain! i have been through pt twice, which always threw me in a flare, but stretching everyday is a must do and helps a lot.
    so baloney on the exercise will cure you!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2002]
  4. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Jaci,
    I do go along with what your b/i/l/ says about flu shots..
    Besides having the fibro, I also have AIH (autoimmune hepatitis) and have to take a drug to suppress the immune system..They (all my drs.) defintely agree I should take the flu shot, because if I would happen to get it, I would really be one "sick puppy"..I've had the fibro a lot longer and been taking flu shots before I was diagnosed with the AIH..I was kinda afraid to take the flu shot last year, because of the autoimmune drug I take, but I took it and I was fine..
    As far as his comment on pain, "what are we supposed to do then"..I myself have trouble with pain meds and have to be careful because of my AIH..My drs. also all tell me, the best thing for fibro is STRETCHING..
    Best Wishes to all..........Donna
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some of us violently overreact to the flu shots. Not all of us have suppressed immune systems. Most of us have screwed-up immune systems which underreact to some things and overreact to others. Each of us has to decide for ourselves whether we should have a flu shot. I will never have another one, even the "new and improved" shots.

Many do not understand that these shots only provide possible protection to the few strains of influenza which the medical powers that be think will be a problem that year. There are many, many strains of viruses besides the ones being targeted by the flu shots. Every time a person gets a vaccination, there is a potential for receiving contaminated material.

As we age, typically, we get sick from viral infections less frequently. Younger people who are in close contact with others, especially children, get sick from viruses more often.

I will rely on my zapper to kill any viruses as it has always killed them off for me so far. BTW, the toxins produced by the die off are eliminated through the intestinal tract. Believe me, they produce the most toxic smelling bowel movements in the form of diarrhea. That is why it is good to drink a lot of water when using a zapper.

Love, Mikie
  6. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Thanks for reminding me!
    I am going downstairs and hook myself up to my zapper right now. You are absolutely right, it does work. I managed to live thru a sinus infection last week coz of it.
    I had to laugh at a posting by DJ, she said her mistake was not seeing a Veterinarian instead of an MD.
    Smiles
    SharonR

7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

That is why I prefeced my infro with "he says", what I mean to imply is that it is only his opinion, it is a tricky issue, the flu shot. I am confused as to all this info.

I do not take everything he says as gospel. Especially about the fact that pain meds do not help us.

How in the heck are we supposed to exercise, duh.

I just wanted to report back as I said I would, "take it for what it is worth", he is only one person and does not specialize in the area of our problems, he is hospice doc firstly & into sports medecine, he seems to think yoga is the cure for everything.

We all have to make our own decisions, I would never suggest that people do what I do in relation to the zoloft, flu shot, etc, we all have to do what is right for us.

Jaci
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I realized that these were your BIL's opinions and I appreciate your reporting back to us. My answer concerned what he had said. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

Love, Mikie
  9. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

what he said, I also did not like most of what he said, I love him anyway, I guess I keep thinking someday he will get it. I just have to blow it off, I guess the one good thing I got from him tho was that mycoplasma should not be something that Drs refuse to test for, he sounded as if it was perfectly reasonable to question the possibility of myco's being a problem, that surprised me, I figured he would chalk it up to my conspiracy theories......

Jaci
  10. clueless

clueless New Member

I guess I have missed something but do not know what a zapper is. Would someone please fill me in? thank you in advance.
  11. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I guess I'm lucky - all of my doctors here in Indianapolis know and understand FMS. When I need pain meds, I get them. I don't understand how there can be so many doctors out there who are so unknowledgeable!
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I get a flu shot every year. I have never had a bad reaction. Also, no one has ever told me my immune system is compromised. I asked someone at the Arthritis Foundation about FMS being an autoimmune illness. She said FMS affects the muscles. Autoimmune illnesses affect organs. I don't get colds or flu that often, or anything like that. I don't think FMS affects my autoimmune system.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Use the search feature here or use your web search engine and type in "zappers." Either way, you will get info on these amazing little machines. I'm sorry, but there's too much info to go into here, so I'm referring you to where you can read about the zappers.

Love, Mikie