Visual Over Stimulation?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LeLeHpr, Aug 11, 2003.

1. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Does anyone have a problem with this? Biggest problem is when I drive, the changing lights, traffic..It is all so overwhelming.

Am I alone here?

Feeling lost,

LeLe
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I have always loved driving. Until I noticed that I was hesitant to turn, lane changes etc. My perception of how close/far away other cars are,has also changed. I am EXTRA careful and on some days, let my daughter drive (this is only when I am desperate! LOL), or others drive. Some days I just stay off the road!

I'm also much more sensitive to noise, lights, and being overwhelmed than I used to be. I believe some of this relates to Firbo also!

You are not alone! You walk in the best of company!

Hugs,

Kim
  3. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

This is such a low point. I am 27 years old and love my car, but would hate to hurt some one else let alone kill someone because I get looped out behind the wheel. It is soo sad & scarry. I get anxious, cannot judge distance very well and feel so looopppeeyyyy.
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I can't drive with the radio on. Might not help in your situation except with being able to concentrate.

I always have the sun visor down to cut down on the brightness, even when it's cloudy. It might also help cut down on some of the visual input. And when it's the least bit bright, I also wear my sunglasses.

(I actually might have more problems driving if I hadn't moved to a rural area.)
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Read Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin. It does an excellent job of explaining sensory overload and a lot of other symptoms we have.

Love, Mikie
  6. aafree

aafree New Member

Hi,

I do fine for the most part during the day, but night driving is awful. All of the street/traffic lights seem overly-bright, which make the darkness seem darker, and the everything is fuzzy. I should probably get my eyes checked again, but bad eyes wouldn't explain the brightness. It's good to know I am not alone. I am a bit older than you, but understand the frustration. I love driving too. Not so much these days, though. Take care on the road!
  7. gaskinsb

gaskinsb New Member

Thanks for this info....I thought my vision was just getting worse. My main problem is night driving. I have bad problems judging with all the light glare. I also, keep by sun visor down during the day. I didn't know why but have started using sunglasses. I thought I was just changing...now I know it was survival instincts kicking in. It is amazing who many of the prior items discussed I'm having issues with. Just yping this I'm having problems spelling simple words...I was once a great speller.
  8. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Absolutely used to LOVE driving...I remember the day I used to explore every back road around for miles... just for the fun of it.

Finding anymore I just cannot judge distance well...intersections are total h#$$, and driving at night is out of the question, and I'm scared to take my son in the car with me driving anymore. I always thought this would come when I reached my 70's, NOT my 30's.

Problem was solved for me this month when the old car died...well, not really dead...just too much money to bring back from the grave, the body has rusted away around an engine that refuses to die. Besides, I rarely use it anyhow. I'll just ride with hubby for awhile : )

We went to some yard sales this weekend..."glassware in the sun" is another thing I'm really beginning to dislike (makes my head swim).

Take Care
    Danny
  9. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

I was driving in this morning to work and WHAM! All the sudden I felt wierd, like my mind and body were disconnected as I drove. I got into the left hand lane- Slowed down and turned down the ac. Also, prayed. I am currently on .25 topomax to be taken 1 tab twice a day .15 mg buspar twice a day (which I am only up to half that dose) and .50 of klonapin for which I only have been taking 1/2 of a 1/2 which I think is contributing to my sensory overload. I know I should be taking atleast half of the .50 mg to help combat the sensory overload, I just hate medications... So, thus the struggle begins again.

LeLe
  10. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member