Vit D in the news.....again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi everyone. Where I live in Ohio, Vitamin D was in the news again last night. This time, they were talking about this vitamin being harmful in large doses. It was just a matter of time before I knew they were going to say that.

I had just posted about a month ago how my doctor wanted me to take between 5,000 IU's and 10,000 IU's of Vitamin D3 per day. I was concerned because I thought this amount was too high. I have read in a few places that Vitamin D at these high doses can cause kidney stones (like as if we need something else to give us pain)

I was shocked to see my doctor being interviewed on the local news stating how she was disturbed about these new findings, since I had mentioned to you before on this board that she is a huge advocate of Vitamin D.

I do believe this Vitamin is important, like I had stated, BUT megadosing on any supplement can be harmful, and eventually they will come up with these studies. They had also mentioned that we should be taking only 600 milligrams of calcium per day and not the usual dose of 1,200 milligrams (I think). Stating that too much calcium in supplements can cause heart problems, something to do with the arteries.

I will keep taking my 2,000 IU's per day of the Vitamin D and will be retested again in January. My current levels are 22. I had wanted to mention to my doctor about my concern with such high levels, but again, she is adament about vitamin D. What do you all think? Hugs, Chelz.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Listen to your doctor. Calcium, when taken by itself, can be dangerous. When you take it with vitamin D and/or magnesium, the body uses it differently.

You've had blood tests that show that you are deficient in Vitamin D. Therefore, you are not overdosing by taking the dose that your doctor has recommended. You are also going for followup testing in the future to check your levels, therefore, you don't have anything to worry about.

This is one study that was being reported by the media. Next month there will be another study totally contradicting this one.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2010]