Vit D overrated? Confused, please read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I have just gone to my regular PCP this past week. She wanted to do a complete metabolic panel of my blood, and also check my Vitamin D level, not surprising, they all do that now.

This is where I am confused. My Vitamin D level is 22 as of right now. I take 2000 IU's of D per day. My doctor wants me to take anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 IU's per day, which I feel is too high. I only started the Vitamin D about 6 weeks ago.

My blood calcium level is 10.3 which is still considered normal up to 10.5, but I feel it's kind of borderline. I do drink milk that has added calcium and I also eat a lot of cheese, maybe this is why my blood calcium is 10.3., not sure.

I do not want to supplement more Vitamin D because I do think it could be toxic with over 2,000. a day. I am probably over thinking this, but that's what I do :)

Basically, my metabolic panel was all in the "normal range". Still so confused about the Vitamin D thing, and think it may be overrated. I may switch doctors because I have this weird feeling that if I bring up this topic of Vitamin D (she's a BIG advocate of this vitamin), she will not be receptive to what I say. Has anyone ever heard of blood calcium levels going up with D supplementation? Hugs, Chelz.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Chelz - Your Vitamin D level is far too low. Your levels should be at least 50, year round. Make sure that you are taking Vitamin D3, not D2. Personally I wouldn't take anymore than 5,000 IU and be sure to get tested again in a couple of months.

Calcium levels can go up with Vitamin D, therefore, this is why you need to get rechecked every once in a while.

Vitamin D isn't over-rated. For the past 20 plus years we have been warned about staying out of the sun, wearing sunscreen, and covering up when outside. However, no one ever stopped to think about what would happen if we weren't getting optimal amounts of Vitamin D. The truth is that no one realized how important Vitamin D was other than in preventing rickets. It is only now that researchers and doctors are starting to realize just how important this hormone is. It is estimated that if everyone were getting adequate Vitamin D from either the sun, food, and/or supplements, that a lot of the cancers would be drastically reduced. The MS Society of Canada believes that MS would be virtually eliminated. They are now studying to see if there is a connection between Vitamin D deficiency and autism.

Be thankful your doctor is well informed. Some doctors are refusing to test for Vitamin D, and in Ontario the gov't is considering stopping paying for testing.
  3. amberdotcom

amberdotcom New Member

Your D number should be over 40 at minimum. (My lowest level ever was 9)

2,000 could be a maintanance dose once your numbers are up where they should be but to get them up there what your doc is proposing is really reasonable. If you do an internet search you'll find a lot of articles that pretty much agree it's safe to take up to 10,000 IU's when needed and it's safe to get that amount daily from a mix of diet, sun and supplements.
  4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thanks for the posts. My doctor wants me to take Vitamin D3. I have heard about the Vitamin D2 at 50,000. IU's, and I just think that is too high.

I understand the importance of Vitamin D, gernerally speaking, but it just seems like my doctor feels that if my levels are high enough, it could almost "get rid" of my FM, and I just don't believe that. I was taking a 5,000 IU capsule back in 2008 when my levels were even lower than now (back then it was a mere 18), and my levels did go up to 46, but I really did not feel much better either with the FM or mild depression.

I just don't think that people should put "too much stock" in this vitamin and expect it to do miracles or something. Remember the late Dr. Linus Pauling who claimed that Vitamin C could do wonders for everyone at high doses? The theory started to fade after a couple of years and now people don't even talk about it anymore.

I did read on one website that we do have to be careful of how much we are taking of the Vitamin D. They had said that if people start taking too high amounts of D, especially past 2,000 per day, the risk of kidney stones and blood calcium can get too high, which makes perfect sense to me since the old recommendation was always 400 IU's and people are taking 10 times more than that now

We also have to consider that our FM bodies, or at least mine, reacts differently to supplements and drugs. I take quite a few supplements and glad I have them, but I am always careful of the amounts I take and monitor myself while taking anything, be it a pharmaceutical drug, or my CoQ10. So, for now, I will get re-tested in 3 months according to what my doctor said and I guess take it from there. Thanks to all :) Hugs, Chelz.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Chelz - First of all you have to remember that the recommendation of 400 IU's of Vitamin D is based on old research for rickets. They were not looking at cancer and various illnesses when they came up with that daily dose recommendation. Secondly, people weren't scared of the sun back then like they are today.

As to Linus Pauling and Vitamin C, his work was ignored for many years, however, people are now re-examining his recommendations for higher dose Vitamin C. There is research being done right now in a US hospital with Vitamin C and cancer. One study has found that very high dose intravenous Vitamin C works very well as a chemo drug and that there isn't the side-effects that are found with traditional chemotherapy. There was a case last year in New Zealand of a man who lay dying in hospital from H1N1 and his family had been told that he was being taken off of life support. The family insisted on him receiving high dose intravenous Vitamin C and fought with the doctors until they agreed to try the treatment. Within a couple of days he started to recover. When a new doctor took over his case, he stopped the Vitamin C and the man started to decline once again. The family fought once more, and to make a long story short, he fully recovered and is back home and back to flying his plane. You can see the story on 20/20 New Zealand.

I'm editing to add also that research is showing the people who have higher blood levels of Vitamin C are also less likely to get bladder cancer. So it might be true that you pee out a lot of the Vitamin C you take it, however, it probably has a protective effect on the bladder.

[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2010]
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

As to the gentleman in New Zealand, I think that a case can be made for high dose intravenous Vitamin C. The man was dying until put on the Vitamin C. The doctors had given up any hope of curing him. When the Vitamin C was stopped he started to deteriorate once more. It was only after he was put back on the Vitamin C for the second time that he recovered. The doctors had tried everything else and nothing was working.

There is research that is showing that for some cancers, high dose intravenous Vitamin C works just as well as the traditional chemotherapies.

7. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thanks guys for all the posts. Wow, I thought I knew a few things about Linus Pauling, but you guys know so much about his work. BDTMU516, yes the vitamin D3 in large doses can be nauseating, not sure why either. I do take my Vitamin D3 with my lunch, which is now my largest meal of the day.

Dinner used to be my largest meal, but I don't know if I'm just getting older or what is going on, but my poor tummy can not take large meals past 6:30 in the evening. I just have a simple salad with a small piece of meat and...................that's it for me, LOL, or else I will have to deal with heartburn, a sore tummy or who knows what else. Thanks for posting. Hugs, Chelz.
  8. shadowsmom42

shadowsmom42 New Member

Hi Chelz,

Not sure if anyone else has replied to your post on November 6th, but I wanted to tell you that Vitamin D3 is an EXCELLENT vitamin that can definitely be increased with no side effects. Of course, I would do that on your doctors' order only. Your post didn't say anything about any chronic conditions you may have, but I have dealt with Post Traumatic Fibromyalgia, chronic low back pain (L5-S1 Radiculopathy that just knocks me to the floor at times) and I've had too many surgeries to count (appendectomy, cholecystectomy, hysterectomy...well, you get the idea. LOL) Anyhow, about 70-80% of people do not get enough Vitamin D3. Even if your levels are within the normal range, I would definitely follow your doctors advice and increase it. Prescription doses even go as high 50,000 IU's! I found that when I increased my D3 WITH Magnesium, my pain levels not only went down, but I just felt better all around.

Please do some research on it, if you haven't already. Just because your metabolic range is within 'normal range', doesn't mean that YOUR body is within normal range. Does that make sense? Your body may require more as is likely with most people.

Take care. Hope this helps.....even if only a little! :)
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I too have been working on getting my Vit D level increased and slowly it is working. I take 6-8000 IU a day in the form of a gel cap. If I feel like I'm coming down with a cold I bump it up to
    8000. Sometimes I split the dose throughout the day.

I have Fibro & depression and it helps both.