VitaCost / Shopping Essentials Scam

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Don'tLook, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Don'tLook

Don'tLook New Member

Beware of any personal testimonials mentioning VitaCost.

They are an advertisement for VitaCost's new on-line site ( launched Jan. 2010)

A previous catalogue company, Natures Wealth, with name change to VitaCost in 2000.

Irreputable, Unethical and Unauthorized credit card charges.

One example of consumer complaints against VitaCost:

I placed an order with an online company called VitaCost. After I placed the order I was asked to complete a customer satisfaction survey. At the end of the survey I was asked if I wanted to be notified of special discounts. I clicked the yes box. Little did I know that by clicking yes I was subscribing to an online subscription to a program called Shopping Essentils. I only found out about this when a charge for $14.95 appeared on my credit card bill.

There was no mention of a $14.95 charge or of an organization called Shopping Essentials on the VitaCost sight. I don't know what kind of a kick-back VitaCost is recieving, but it was very upsetting to know that they had virtually sold my credit card number
    to another organization.

I called Shopping Essentials and they said they would give me a credit and cancel my subscription. I will give you an update in a few days to let you know if they followed through.

I also called VitaCost. They admitted to having a relationship with Shopping Essentials and basically said the it was my fault for clicking yes to the question in the survey, that by doing so I was agreeing to the terms and contditions of the transaction. This is so unethical. I will not do business with VitaCost again.

2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

same scam. Imagine taking advantage of us poor brain-fogged ppl :-((

When you renew your driver's liscense or auto plate, the state of Texas sells your email address to spammers.

Vitacost tends to have lower prices than Iherb. Iherb has a greater product selection.
    If you know that something works for you, then buying in bulk powder is a consideration, try

3. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I LOVE Vitacost. I've been ordering from them for several years - the prices are among the lowest I've found and the customer service is *outstanding.*

I've seen the link to "Shopping Essentials" or whatever it is, but - since I ALWAYS read before I click - I didn't get fooled into signing up for something I didn't want.

If Vitacost is "unethical" for offering services that people may or may not want, I guess there are an AWFUL LOT of "unethical" websites out there --- personally I'm willing to take responsiblity for my own purchasing decisions and if I'm too foggy to read, I wait until another time to shop.

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

if you read what you're clicking on. I've ordered from them numerous times. And yes, each time I order, I get offered that service but I never accept it. You do have to read exactly what it is you're agreeing to. It is annoying that it pops up with each order - I wish they didn't do this, but sometimes they're the best place to get what I want so I use them anyways.

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have used them, too, and though the ad is annoying, it is clear that it involves a fee, and it is quite easy to click away from it.....the prices and quality from vita cost are worth it
  6. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 New Member

This is a common practice in ecommerce. does it too. I have used vitacost for years and have not had a problem.
  7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I've used both for many yrs. The few issues I've had have been quickly & graciously resolved, both companies.
  8. quanked

quanked Member

I was just googling vitacost last night. I discovered a site that talked about your very concern. Someone else had the same problem with them. I was going to order from them (I saw the company recommended on a post about biotin). I read the scam alert and went to swanson's.

This kind of scam happened to our family a couple of years ago starting with purchasing the service for my son. I did not discover the repeated billings for some shopping service for months. Why this stuff is not prosecuted is beyond me. It was a horrible experience. I had this woman insisting that we had purchased the shopping group of some type--that we had inadvertently clicked on "purchase" somewhere, sometime. What a crock. Round and round we went. It was like 20-30 dollars a pop. I wonder how much these slime balls get away with. It must pay because this scam just keeps on renewing itself in many forms.

I was just watching Bill Maher and a woman from our government was talking about these so called changes coming to "protect" us from the banks and credit card companies on his show. She said this industry has already found a couple of new ways to get around the new laws that take effect now (or recently). The banking industry gets to scam us legally--with the permission and support of our congress and other governmental agencies. The land of free and the home of the brave--for those who can afford to be free and brave!