Vitamin B 12 injections vs b12 sublingual

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 1, 2011.

1. My dr. told me yrs ago after blood work that I need monthly b12 injections, although I don't see any difference. However I asked can't I just take b12 sublingual and she said no. Have any of you who are supposed to be low on b12 after testing just taken sublingual b12 and if so how much do you take? I am wondering if I can get the injections plus take the pill as I need ENERGY! I am so tired of being tired.
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, fibrobutterfly.

Either sublingual or injected B12 will get into the blood, though more of the dosage gets in by injection, so a higher dosage must be taken sublingually to deliver the same amount to the blood, for transport to the cells. Both will transport much more to the blood than ordinary oral supplementation of B12.

The key to getting real benefit from B12 is to take it together with active forms of folate. That's the essence of the methylation treatments. B12 by itself will give temporary benefit to many people with ME/CFS, but the combination can raise the partial block in the methylation cycle and give long term benefit.

Best regards,

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think Rich is right about taking an active form of folate with the B12. When I started taking Folate (as Metafolin) by Solgar together with my B12, my energy started to pick up. I also eliminated all folic acid - folic acid is a synthetic form of folate which can prevent the absorption of the folate the body actually needs.

Monthly B12 injections are generally not nearly enough if by that you mean once a month. I was doing B12 injections of either methylcobalamin or hydroxocobalamin 3 times a week (self-administered) for quite awhile, and noticed no difference, until I started the metafolin.

I'm currently taking 6,000 mcg. of sublingual methylcobalamin daily, Jarrow brand (one 5,000 mcg. lozenge in the morning and one 1,000 mcg. lozenge in the evening). I've temporarily stopped the injections. Also taking 800 mcg. of Solgar folate, as well as a B complex by Thorn Research which has metafolin and folinic acid.

So - you might try Rich's methylation protocol which he has posted about quite often on this board, or a B12/folate protocol by Freddd on the Phoenix Rising board (see

I did better on Freddd's protocol, although many people are helped by Rich's protocol. On Freddd's protocol I found I had to supplement with potassium, 400 to 1000 mg. a day, depending on how I felt. This was really important.

I just realized this is probably way more informatin than you wanted and may be confusing. But I strongly urge you to read about Rich's protocol, and Freddd's if you like. They are similar, although do have differences.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is part of the Methylation Protocol which I am on. This is a sublingual form of B12 and is supposed to breach the blood/brain barrier better than other types of oral B12. If I tested low on B12 and my doc wanted me to take injections, I would ask him about the oral sublingual supps. BTW, check out Rich's simplified Methylation Protocol.

Love, Mikie
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

The last B-12 shot I had it cost $ 40.00 for the injection and $ 10.00 for the B-12, and I really didn't notice any differance. I don't have insurance so that really adds up.
  6. Jonsparky

Jonsparky New Member

I am self injecting both methylcobalamin and hydroxocobalamin, along with Glutithyone in small doses everyday. I have got a lot of benefit from it, as far as more energy and more clarity. I use a 1cc insulin needle with a ratio of 20/20/40 glutithyone and 5 of lidocaine, to help with the pain of the injections. Doing it this way, cuts down some on the cost, versus going into the doctors for injections.
  7. Is folate a prescription or over the counter?
  8. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, fibrobutterfly.

The folates are available over-the-counter. The most important one, for supporting the methylation cycle, is 5L-methyltetrahydrofolate. It is sold as Metafolin, FolaPro, and MethylMate B. It is also available in much higher dosage in a prescription "medical food" called Deplin.

The simplified treatment for lifting the partial methylation cycle block also contains folinic acid, which is available over-the-counter, and is also sold as the prescription leucovorin.

Folic acid, which I don't recommend as the main folate for treating the partial methylation cycle block, is also available over-the-counter, and in the U.S. it is added to food grain products by law, in order to decrease the number of birth defects involving the neural tube, such as spina bifida.

Best regards,

9. Thanks Rich for the info.

My dr. seems to be short of the b12 injections so gave us a script to buy it and give it to ourselves. Luckily our sil is a nurse as no way could I do it , I hate needles! She had on b12 left and I let my husband take it as he is really low in b12. Even though I need it , so tired of being tired. In the meantime I am taking b12 sublingual.