Vitamin B 12

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by plumberneil, Mar 24, 2007.

1. plumberneil

plumberneil New Member

Hi, just signed up. I went down with the flu- like symptoms in 2000 and felt it had taken away half of my life, but a few months ago, there was a local tv show and it highlighted the work a doctor in my area had been doing with patients suffering from fatigue. He came from India where he had treated patients with B 12 shots, because they were Hindu vegetarians, and were deficient in this vitamin. He claimed to be getting good results over here.
    I went to a health- food shop and bought some, must be the 1,000 units though. It hasn't brought me back, but my wife says I am more happy, less irritable, and I stay awake longer. I no longer feel as wooly- headed and in general a lot fitter. It might not work for you, but I felt a marked change within 2 days. It's worth a try, best wishes, Neil
  2. openyourmind

openyourmind New Member

I have just begun the sublingual--feeling a bit better--am also trying more magnesium --

I had given up red meat too--and have recently added a little to my diet
  3. openyourmind

openyourmind New Member

I have just begun the sublingual--feeling a bit better--am also trying more magnesium --

I had given up red meat too--and have recently added a little to my diet
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Plumberneil.

I'm glad to hear that B12 is helping you. There is a long history of high-dose B12 helping in CFS. There have been some recent developments in understanding why it helps, and in going further with the treatment.

The new proposed treatment for CFS os based on the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for the pathogenesis of CFS, which I borrowed from S. Jill James, Amy Yasko and other autism researchers. You can read about the hypothesis here:

http://phoenix-cfs.org/GSH%20Methylation%20Van%20Konynenburg.htm

The treatment includes B12 as well as active forms of folate, and some other things. There is a thread here called Methylation Cycle Protocol Experiences and Progress, on which people are reporting their experience with it. This thread has the highest number of hits right now, not counting the permanent threads.

You can find the treatment spelled out here:

http://phoenix-cfs.org/GSH%20Methylation%20Treatment%20Konynenburg.htm

You can also get more information on how it's going for others by joining the cfs_yasko group on Yahoo groups and the discussion group at http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com/

Rich
  5. I was just diagnosed with low B 12 (174 reading) and have started getting injections. So far I have gotten 2 and not felt any difference yet. I think I am going to buy the B 12 sublingual also as the dr. said you can't take too much as your kidneys flush the excess out.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thsat is interesting you got shots for low B12 at 178 as mine is 130 and the doc said "still in normal range" I started the Pro Healths subligual B12-makes me pee a lot but it does work well. The doc said the subligual and patches work as well as the shots now anyway.

Love Annie C
  7. I would say you are really low according to what the normal blood levels are for B12.....

"Vitamin B12 Deficiency
    Unlike many of the B vitamins, B12 can be stored in your body. Normal blood levels range form 200 to 900 pg/ml. A deficiency of VitaminB12 can lead to nerve damage, tingling and burning sensations and memory and cognitive decline"