Vitamin B12 supplementation -- what dose per day?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Nov 25, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Okay, so I'm trying to zap those pesky tingles with a course of B12 supplementation. Anybody any idea how much I should take a day? I have a bottle of 1000ug (micrograms?) pills. It says one a day on the bottle, but I know some of you exceed that with beneficial results. So I thought I'd get some feedback before I start popping 'em.
    Thanks!
    Marcus

[This Message was Edited on 11/26/2002]
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Okay, so I'm trying to zap those pesky tingles with a course of B12 supplementation. Anybody any idea how much I should take a day? I have a bottle of 1000ug (micrograms?) pills. It says one a day on the bottle, but I know some of you exceed that with beneficial results. So I thought I'd get some feedback before I start popping 'em.
    Thanks!
    Marcus

3. jedinvest

jedinvest New Member

I would suggest 5000 mg per day. I would also suggest Methylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin for such large doses. These are available in 3000 or 5000 mcg sublingual tablets. Let us know your resultls.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

My rx is for 10,000 mcg, three times a week. I give myself the injections. I started at 2,500 mcg a week and gradually increased to my current dose. I use hydroxocobalamine.

Barbara
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think you meant 'Mico milligrams' with the B-12. It never comes in milligrams that I know of.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Mine comes in Milligrams----I take one, 1mg tablet daily.
    methylcobalamin (mecobalamin)
    Karen
  7. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I found this info under vit. b-12:

1000 ug sq qd -for two weeks
    then
    1000 ug sq q2 -2 weeks for 6 mos.
    then
    1000 ug sq each month for life

HOB
  8. morgana

morgana New Member

have any of you been tested for vitamin b12 deficiency??I have pernicious aneamia as well as fibro and i cannot take the tablets as my stomach wont absorb them.Somthing to do with intrinsic factor and my doctor told me once your store of b12 has been depleted from your liver it will never come back.
    They can test for B12 by blood test but usually they do a test called the schilling test where you swallow an amount of radioactive b12 and then you collect your urine over 24 hrs to see how much has been absorbed.I also had an endoscopy and they took some of my stomach lining to check for things.
    I have to have neo-cytamen (B12) injections for life...
    take care morgana