Vitamin C for Detox

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mlk9399, Jan 22, 2003.

1. mlk9399

mlk9399 New Member

Hi all,

I've been reading this board for a few weeks now and I've gotten so much great info. I have CFS, along with hypothyroidism and adrenal insufficiency. I haven't been diagnosed with FM yet, but I'm pretty sure I have it.

My doctor who is an MD and a naturopath, has me taking mega doses of buffered vitamin C. I take 12-14 grams daily, along with a zillion other supplements. She wants me to do a C flush every couple of weeks which means taking vitamin C continuously and stopping at the first sign of diarrhea. I then can calculate how much vitamin C my body needs and adjust accordingly. Has anyone heard of this? Also, could I be taking too much vitamin C and doing more harm than good? She's a great doctor and has helped me in a lot of areas, but I'm starting to wonder about taking so much vitamin C.

I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!
  2. mlk9399

mlk9399 New Member

Does anybody know about mega doses of vitamin C?
  3. mlk9399

mlk9399 New Member

Thanks for your advice. I will try doing that search you suggested.
  4. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

and cannot imagine taking the amount your dr. recommended. As it is, if I don't space this out enough I get the runs. I don't know about you, but for me Vitamin C induced diarrhea calls for baby wipes and sitz baths! How much per dose did your dr. want you to take, and how many hours apart? I would be taking some every two hours from waking to sleeping!

Annette
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. Mouse has gave you some good advice, Dr. Linus Pauling is the greatest on vitamin C therapy.

I only take 500 milligrams a day, but I do have a friend that has 'Hepatitis C', and his doctor had him on mega doses of buffered powdered C. It will give you diarrhea, but then it also cleanses the liver.

Good luck, and again welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl