vitamin c

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clerty, Aug 1, 2008.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

Anyone know how much one can take in a day I am taking 500mg!#

2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I take 30-40 grams per day of oral Vitamin C.

This is 30,000 to 40,000 mg.

This is on my doctor's insistence that I use it up to bowel tolerance (the amount that gives me diarrhea).

I also get high-dose IV's of vitamin C twice a week.

This is primarily to help to detoxify mold poisons, but also to support all my body's functions.

It's one of the most helpful things that I've done to treat my CFS in the years I've been sick.

I take just plain buffered vitamin c in capsules. Anything else would be really expensive.

I do take some acerola separately.

[This Message was Edited on 08/01/2008]
  3. clerty

clerty New Member

Thankyou for the information.

4. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi Clerty,

I take 3g of Vit C a day but you can take more. I'm guessing 500mg prob isnt enough for us since our bodies put up with a lot of oxidative stress.

Vit E works in conjunction with Vit C as an antioxidant too.

If you increase your dose gradually and then find you get diarrhoea then it indicates it may be too much for you. It's a good idea to spread the dosaeges out throughout the day too.
  5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I responded to your initial question on your initial post.

6. tansy

tansy New Member

for me than taking it orally. I do well on high doses, spread throughout the day, when needed but have never gained the same level of benefit I experienced with IVs.

tc, Tansy.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

What kind of positive (or negative) effects did you get with the IV Vitamin C?

I've not heard too many people here say they've used that.

My own experience is that it's been useful in helping to lessen my reactivity to mycotoxin (mold poison) exposures.

At a higher dose (50cc) it's supposed to kill pathogens.

When I first started using this dose, I got a big reaction similar to the one I had gotten earlier with doxycyline.

After a few months, that reaction went down. 50cc is fine with me.

Hopefully whatever the doxy was killing is being brought under control, due to my own body's increased immune strength and/or the Vitamin C.

Anyway, please let me know your experiences!!!

Thanks, Lisa
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Lisa

The early ivs felt like an instant tonic (probably due to increased blood volume) then I would have sx often experienced during die off and detox protocols.

Over the course of IVs I began to experience progressively less adverse detox/die off sx and a greater sense of wellness. Khahly wrote about being deathly ill and that's how many of us feel; so that increased sense of wellness meant I no longer felt deathly ill most of the time.

After this course of iv ceased the benefits lasted for many months.

My malaise, low grade fevers etc, subsided and higher levels of activities could be sustained. I described it then as no longer feeling so darned sick; others commented that I did not look as ill as I had before.

The neurological sx (cns and pns) remained, as did my muscle problems, but I was better able to adapt around them. These issues add to my mental fatigue and are equally physically tiring. So in spite of the continuing and visably obvious disability issues I felt as though I had got my life back.

These IVs were given after my amalgams were removed, without adequate care, and the amino acids (cysteine and methionine) I had been prescribed made me worse. I often wonder if the vit c IVs helped treat the aftermath of that too.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]