Vitamin C

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by providerwatcher, Mar 4, 2010.

1. providerwatcher

providerwatcher New Member

Just curious as to what your doctor tells you is "too much" Vitamin C. I take 1000 mg a day and can't seem to find a credible site that sets dosing maximums.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

there is not maximum bc the body does not store it like it does with many of the other vitamins....if you take too much you might wind up with some diarrhea, but it won't cause any real harm....actually a lot of times it is recommended to take to stomach tolerance (in other words take the highest amt that does not cause stomach distress)
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

There isn't a maximum dose for Vitamin C. Each person is different and it also depends on your state of health at the time. Your body can tolerate much more Vitamin C when you are sick, than when you are well. Also, doctors tend to recommend the established daily values, which aren't always the optimal doses to be taking.

The daily recommended value for Vitamin C is 60 mg., however, that dose was only ever intended to prevent scurvy. Dr. Linus Pauling recommended doses much higher than that. Some people take doses up to bowel tolerance, meaning that it is just below what is needed for your body to get diarrea. It will be a different amount for each person.

The important thing to remember with Vitamin C is to take divided doses throughout the day. Any extra that your body doesn't need you will pee out. Some doctors refer to this as "expensive pee" and consider it to be a waste of money. However, research has shown that people with "expensive pee" tend to have to least risk of getting bladder cancer so they think that this extra Vitamin C has a protective effect on the bladder.

Orthomolecular doctors use very high amounts of Vitamin C for various treatments. I think the amounts people take and consider safe depends on whether they lean more towards alternative or allopathic medicine.
  4. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 New Member

Doses as little as 250mg give me insomnia and anxiety. I don't know why. Magically, if I have a cold or the flu, it seems like I can take an infinite amount of Vitamin C without side effects. If I did not have side effects I think I would take 1000 to 2000mg per day, divided into several smaller doses throughout the day.
  5. providerwatcher

Thank you for your responses. It sounds like I am okay at 1000mg, and will probably stay there.
  6. providerwatcher

Since I went on Vitamin last year, it has made a huge difference in my health. I have not had the "nagging" viruses such as head colds and sore throats I used to get a lot.